Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Newbie needs help!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rickwenner@acninc.net

Tried to go for a drive today. Pulling the car out of the garage it backfired a once and had a slight hesitation. Then as I started to pull out it also died. It started back up and a I pulled out, then a very strong hesitation, bucking forward and it died.
It would starting back up, but not stay running.

It was turning over just fine, but just didn't want to fire up.

It's a 1.8 fuel injected 75.

Any help on where I should start looking for my problem would be much appreciated. I'm sure I'm being a bit vague with my issues but like I said I'm a complete newbie and learning as I go.
timothy_nd28
After starting the car, will it idle indefinitely but stall when you put it in gear?
L73
Yep, this reminds me of me 6 years ago with my L-jet
before I went to .... Carbs,MSD and Mallory Dizzy...
Never had a problem again...

Start with simple things...
Vacume Lines... Make sure everything is hooked up properly
Pelican has a great hose layout on there website..
How is the gasket under the oil filler ?

Is the fuel pump running and are you injecters energized ??
If not check your air flow meter... With the key on
Open the black cap on the meter move the needle to here the pump start...

Check the points and timing... Make sure the spark plug
wires are on right...what does the rotor look like ??

Good Luck
rick 918-S
welcome.png Check the fuel pump relay.
jdlmodelt
Make sure one of your injector wires didn't come loose. check your vacuum hoses..
rickwenner@acninc.net
QUOTE(timothy_nd28 @ Feb 10 2013, 05:43 PM) *

After starting the car, will it idle indefinitely but stall when you put it in gear?

No, it will not idle. just dies, it will restart but then dies.

I see some gas under the fuel pump regulator, I guess that I may have a fuel line problem.
timothy_nd28
I think you're on the right track. Replace the regulator and since you are in there, replace the fuel lines in the engine bay and fuel tank area with some ethanol rated fuel injector hose. Do you still have the original plastic fuel lines running thru the tunnel? Also, if you have time, remove the top plastic fuel reservoir on top of the gas tank, and inspect the condition of your fuel, fuel sock and rust inside your tank. There should be just enough room to shine a flash light inside your tank, after the plastic reservoir is removed.
type47
Have you ever disconnected the fuel lines, like when you drop the engine? Connecting them up reversed could cause similar symptoms. 'Course if you never disconnected the lines ... (or PO did)
jdlmodelt
QUOTE(timothy_nd28 @ Feb 11 2013, 01:52 PM) *

I think you're on the right track. Replace the regulator and since you are in there, replace the fuel lines in the engine bay and fuel tank area with some ethanol rated fuel injector hose. Do you still have the original plastic fuel lines running thru the tunnel? Also, if you have time, remove the top plastic fuel reservoir on top of the gas tank, and inspect the condition of your fuel, fuel sock and rust inside your tank. There should be just enough room to shine a flash light inside your tank, after the plastic reservoir is removed.

Just don't drop your flashlight in there. I've heard of cell phones lighting up a fuel tank when dropped in it. THe flashlight has the same ignition capability. Be careful there.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.