Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: BOUGHT/No longer wanted: Plastic 914 Battery Cover
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WTB: 914 Parts
tumamilhem
I am looking for the plastic battery cover that originally came with the car (usually discarded) and was also issued by Porsche for the battery recall. They were made and issued free of charge due to the recall (including replacing fuel lines).
kkid
Hi,

I don't have the original one but have a HO campaign cover that is in new condition.

Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment

$20+shipping

Thanks,

kkid smile.gif
JeffBowlsby
If Tuma doesnt want this, I do. LMK
tumamilhem
Hey kkid! Sorry, I just saw this. I bought one on eBay late last night. Go ahead and sell it to Jeff (I'm surprised he doesn't have one!). Thank you! smile.gif
bdstone914
Can you post the part number ? I cant quite make it out. I wonder what they cost new?

Have you tried it fit in a 914? I wonder if it works with the stock hold down clamp?

Looks like it lifts the battery a little.

bruce
Tom_T
Bruce - it goes on top of the battery - it's a top, not a tray under - so it won't lift. The first one on your 914 was FREE as a mandatory recall part required for the HO Recall by NHTSA, along with non-cloth-covered rubber fuel hoses/lines in the engine bay only, along with new hose clamps.

ALL - The initial battery covers used for the HO Recall were actually a contemporary to the 914s "Audi 100" model part, & Audi could be another source for new or NOS parts of this battery cover. IIRC later in the 70's-80's Porsche had to make a run of the one in kkid's pix to meet demand for the 83k+ 914s in the USA subject to the recall. Either would be considered "OE/Recall correct" by any CW.

Tommy - see my post on your batteries topic about the recall. PCNA will set it up as an HO Recall, but the dealer won't help until they have the letter/order from PCNA. They just checked on the "kit" - not if Porsche is required to do the recall now if never done.

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
hot_shoe914
I have something that looks like that. I will check it for a part number.
kkid
> Tuma, wondering if you got an original or a HO....

> Jeff, sorry, I got a PM from a local guy last night. will get back to you if he changes his mind.

> Bruce, sorry if my pic made you think that way. I took those pix from bad angles.

> Tom, you're such a gold mine of information. Thanks!

The dimensions of the battery cover is: 9-5/8 x 6-3/4 x 1-3/8. The part number is on my 2nd picture and is 281915411F. It's slightly big for my smaller optima battery.

kkid smile.gif
championgt1
I have one as well. VW symbol with the number 211 915 411.

Mine is trashed though.
JeffBowlsby
I'm local...:wavy:

Still looking for an excellent cover. LMK whoever may have one....
tumamilhem
I bought a new HO cover. Though the sticker isnt on it. Seems to cover more and looks sturdier than the OG.
euro911
My wife's '71 came with one that has a waffle pattern on it. I think it's OEM confused24.gif

I received a repro cover (like the one shown above) from AA when I bought their repro battery tray & support kit. It has some 'tangs' that clip over the front and rear lips of the battery to hold it it place.
IronHillRestorations
I have a few NOS battery covers with the waffle pattern, I'll post pics later today.
tumamilhem
Yeah, the 'waffle' style that is 'T' shaped is the OEM and replacement. The flat square one with the drop-down edges on all sides is the factory 'HO' replacement.
Pat Garvey
Let's get this straight about the "original".

It is a T-shaped, waffle upper surface item, held in place by a rubber tube that flexes aroung "nibs" in the top, then around the battery assembly. In my opinion there never was a problem with the original. The problem was with the batteries of the period - acid -based messes that COULD make a mess of your hellhole and battery tray. I, personally, never had that problem and my 814 was auto-x'd a lot. Never, ever had any sloshing of battery acid on the hoses, clamps, etc. Think the whole recall was hogwash!

The replacement cover, a cobbled/crudely cut up Audi battery cover served no useful purpose. Non-sealed batteries would continue to have fumes/spills directed downward towards the battery tray, brainbox and hellhole.

Quite frankly, the original waffle cover did more to dissipate acid fumes because it had a smaller under lip to it. This allowed acid fumes to become more open to dissipation rather than condensation.

I feel that both versions were not really helpful and maybe a hinderance. But, one or the other is needed for a 4 cylinder 914. The fours were helped from rain/snow by a collector tray.

However, sixes were not helped by either since the engine grills were open to the weather all the time. Rainwater/snow melt came into the motor compartment all accross the length of the grill. Fell on the battery as well as all other components, unless you drove fast.

What about the sixer pronlems, huh?
tumamilhem
I posted a picture of the original in the beginning of the post Batteries topic I started. http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=203921

Yeah, that's a huge design flaw with the /6. Was it like that to get more air or was the engine too high that the rain tray would touch it? If so, I would think they would make a shallower rain tray.
euro911
Yes, the air filter housing on the 914 '6's sits too high for a rain tray. Same thing went for the early 911s (don't know about later models).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.