Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Just purchased 73 1.7l
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jbachert
I just picked up a 1973 1.7 liter. This is my first 914 and first Porsche. It is basically rust free. All signs point to this being the original paint. There are some little dings and chips here and there. Sounds like the only rust was the jack plates which were replaced.

As far as I can tell (based on documentation with the car) the original owner owned it for 35 years and then there were two other owners before me, but between the two of them they only put a few hundred miles on it.

The owner previous to me had it gone over at Translog in York, PA and the following work was done (these are the highlights):

Inspect entire car for rust
Compression test - (1) 150 (2) 150 (3) 142 (4) 147
Replace shift bushings
Replace jack plates
Replace push rod tube seals
Adjust valves
Replace Valve cover gaskets, replace valve adjustment screws
Replace all windshield washer hoses
Flush Brake fluid - replaced with ATE Blue
Replace fuel hoses at pump and tank
Replace fuel hoses on engine

There is a fair amount of original receipts, etc with this car.

There are some small issues to resolve - for example the high beam indicator doesn't light up when the high beams are on, the light between the seats doesn't light - so maybe some bulbs to replace here and there.

Also, locking the drivers door with the key is finicky so maybe it needs some lube or something.

Enough with the description....here are some pics:
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
KENNY
Very nice car .
mittelmotor
Very nice! Looks super straight and solid from the pics you posted.

Welcome to the board here. 914World is far and away the best, most informative and most helpful forum I've ever been on (Spyderchat, for the MR2 Spyder, is a close second). Questions are answered usually in a matter of hours, if not minutes.

--Doug
jbachert
At some point I'd like to swap the bumpers to chrome bumpers and add a center gauge console....but it is pretty nice as it is for now.
tadink
QUOTE(jbachert @ Feb 12 2013, 11:04 AM) *

At some point I'd like to swap the bumpers to chrome bumpers and add a center gauge console....but it is pretty nice as it is for now.

very sweet car - love the color! Tangerine rules! Welcome to the lunacy.
Chris H.
Awesome car. Regarding the cosmetic changes, it would also look really cool if you put some steel rims with hub caps on it and returned it to 100% stock. Looks like my old '74...base model with no fogs, console, or sail panel trim. Very clean look. You are missing the top to your center tray that fits between the seats. It's not on a hinge, just has a cushion-like thing that fits over top of the tray. Should be easy to find if you don't have it.
Kaduku
I've seen that car advertised somewhere, can't recall. Congratulations, I hope to get my first 914 and my first Porsche soon too.
NJ914Guy
Looks like a very solid and original car. Good luck and be sure to enjoy her!
ArtechnikA
Assemble your shopping list and come out to Hershey April 20.
There's a thread here for this year's Mid-engine Invasion somewhere...
Spoke
welcome.png

Very nice car. Can't be a PA car in that condition unless it was never driven in the snow or rain.

BTW, where are you located in PA?
jbachert
QUOTE(Spoke @ Feb 12 2013, 02:59 PM) *

welcome.png

Very nice car. Can't be a PA car in that condition unless it was never driven in the snow or rain.

BTW, where are you located in PA?

Believe it or not, it has always been a PA car (I have the documentation). It must have been garage kept.

I live near Macungie.
JawjaPorsche
Nice Score! Love the color! 73 was a very good year!

beerchug.gif
rgolia
outstanding.....I am not far from you...Doylestown area...perhaps a meet and drive when the weather breaks. I have had my teener since it was new and I had to deal with east coast rust. That looks great.
SchwarzHorse
I looked at the car on eBay before the listing disappeared. Nice Purchase ! Steel wheels with caps ? Yuck, don't make that change - just get that black paint off of those Fuchs - it's proven impossible (obviously) to make the 914 4-luggers look like the 5-pedal-spoke 911 Fuchs. What were the paint-it-blackers at the dealerships thinking in the '70s ?
slap.gif
KELTY360
QUOTE(jbachert @ Feb 12 2013, 12:04 PM) *

Think about painting your bumpers body color. It's a nice look.

welcome.png
Valy
welcome.png
Nice car!
The paint is probably not original since the sail panels are painted and not vinyl.
tod914
Sharp looking car! Congrads on your purchase. Looks very well taken care of.
jdlmodelt
QUOTE(jbachert @ Feb 12 2013, 12:04 PM) *

I was going to do the center gauge console on mine. mocked it up and felt incredibly cramped in there. I like to open feel I get without mine.
KELTY360
QUOTE(Valy @ Feb 12 2013, 06:59 PM) *

welcome.png
Nice car!
The paint is probably not original since the sail panels are painted and not vinyl.

confused24.gif Black bumpers w/no fog lights are consistent with painted sails in a car w/o the Appearance Group option. Not sure why that would affect the originality of the paint.

Sweet looking car!
rick 918-S
welcome.png
johnpierre
Congrats, I also just bought my first 914 3 months ago.. It is more fun than I would of ever guessed. I love my car. I'm sure in the next couple of weeks you'll feel the same way - if you already don't. welcome.png Jp
somd914
welcome.png Very nice!
jbachert
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Feb 12 2013, 10:28 PM) *

QUOTE(Valy @ Feb 12 2013, 06:59 PM) *

welcome.png
Nice car!

confused24.gif Black bumpers w/no fog lights are consistent with painted sails in a car w/o the Appearance Group option. Not sure why that would affect the originality of the paint.

Sweet looking car!

Exactly.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.