Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need suggestions on restortion on my poor 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
longlegs
Here is short question: Is there a reputable place to get my old 914 running and possible full restoration?

history: I bought the car (2.0 liter, 1974 special appt. group) in 1980 with 24,000 miles.
Drove it until about 1985. It OD had about 88,000 My Dad did all the work on it and had manuals with his notes.
Car sat through two kids and a move to Lake County. It ran briefly aout 6 years ago...actually went down the road on it's own power. Engine had an oil leak and brakes were spongy...sigh.

A local VW bug guy encouraged my son and husband to buy a rebuilt engine,which they did and installed. But they could never get the fuel injectors to work. The car was towed to a local VW shop where it sat in the ran and sun for TWO YEARS!!!
The shop lost the manuals.

The poor car is in out back field tarped and on blocks. It is too painful to contenplate the now slightly rusting hood, cracked dash, etc.

I am willing to either sell the poor thing or shell out the bucks for a restoration. The car was the metallic slate blue. Medspray ruined the paint early on, so it had a repaint job.

Can anyone reccomend a good 914 restoration shop? If not that, I am wondering what the car is worth in terms of selling it. Orignal upholstery, carpets, roof, etc.
Thanks,
Karen Sullivan
Tom_T
QUOTE(longlegs @ Feb 13 2013, 08:58 AM) *

Here is short question: Is there a reputable place to get my old 914 running and possible full restoration?

history: I bought the car (2.0 liter, 1974 special appt. group) in 1980 with 24,000 miles.
Drove it until about 1985. It OD had about 88,000 My Dad did all the work on it and had manuals with his notes.
Car sat through two kids and a move to Lake County. It ran briefly aout 6 years ago...actually went down the road on it's own power. Engine had an oil leak and brakes were spongy...sigh.

A local VW bug guy encouraged my son and husband to buy a rebuilt engine,which they did and installed. But they could never get the fuel injectors to work. The car was towed to a local VW shop where it sat in the ran and sun for TWO YEARS!!!
The shop lost the manuals.

The poor car is in out back field tarped and on blocks. It is too painful to contenplate the now slightly rusting hood, cracked dash, etc.

I am willing to either sell the poor thing or shell out the bucks for a restoration. The car was the metallic slate blue. Medspray ruined the paint early on, so it had a repaint job.

Can anyone reccomend a good 914 restoration shop? If not that, I am wondering what the car is worth in terms of selling it. Orignal upholstery, carpets, roof, etc.
Thanks,
Karen Sullivan

Original Customs ("McMark" on here) has the banner ad & is in Napa. HPH (Rich Bontempi) is further south in Bay area. Both know 914s.

Take some pix to post & get it inside under cover. A lot will depend on how much rust damage there is.

Good Luck! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

PS -

You guys can use this buyer checklist linked below to assess your 914 as if you're buying it, to help decide how much work, time & $$s will be needed.

http://bowlsby.net/914/Classic/zTN_Gen_914CAF.pdf

Then you can decide whether it's worth it to you to restore or sell & find a better one, parts out, etc.

....or you can do what I'm doing & ignore it & restore it anyway for sentimental reasons the 914 means to you, esp. with your Dad's connection. biggrin.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Feb 13 2013, 09:10 AM) *
Original Customs ("McMark" on here) has the banner ad & is in Napa.

agree.gif

I second McMark's shop in Sonoma!
http://www.originalcustoms.com/

PS:
welcome.png
montoya 73 2.0
agree.gif

On Original Customs. Mark is a great guy and knows 914's. Send Mark a email or give him a call and see what can be done. Take a crap load of pictures inside and out for showing us! We love pictures.

welcome.png
ConeDodger
agree.gif Original Customs is closest and very competent.
timothy_nd28
Have them go thru the mechanicals and get the car running and stopping. This way, you still have the option of restoring or selling. A running car will be worth much more.
welcome.png
Tom_T
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Feb 13 2013, 10:16 AM) *

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Feb 13 2013, 09:10 AM) *
Original Customs ("McMark" on here) has the banner ad & is in Napa.

agree.gif

I second McMark's shop in Sonoma!
http://www.originalcustoms.com/

PS:
welcome.png

Napa ... Sonoma .... it's all a bunch of wine-ers country up there & all melds together for my old brain! biggrin.gif

Also, HPH, Parts Heaven, Jeff Bowlsby & a few others up there in the Bay Area & Northern reaches stock a lot of good used, new & NOS 914 parts if needed.
Tom_T
QUOTE(timothy_nd28 @ Feb 13 2013, 10:59 AM) *

Have them go thru the mechanicals and get the car running and stopping. This way, you still have the option of restoring or selling. A running car will be worth much more.
welcome.png

Not if the longitudinals are shot with rust sitting in a field in rainy-er NoCal!

Check for rust issues first, check costs to repair, then decide.

I probably wouldn't have continued on mine if the longs were gone - sentimental value of my 1st & only sports car owned since 1975 aside! dry.gif
JRust
agree.gif Original Customs all the way. Get it to his shop. He can at least give you an idea of what it will need. He'll steer you in the right direction either way. Even if it is selling it you'll have a good idea of value from Mark
hot_shoe914
Post pics of the legs...err...I mean longs, hell, pics of longs and longlegs will do just fine. poke.gif
Elliot Cannon
Take it to this guy. My Wife thinks he has "cute" hair. Rumor has it, he also knows a little about these cars. av-943.gif
76-914
He's the man on the West Coast. People from down here drive all the way up there to get this "Dude" to work on their car. It's a no brainer in your case. Your lucky to live so close to him.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.