Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Lug bolts are stuck
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
malcolm2
I am sure this has happened because of my A.D.D. This car needs so much work, I have been jumping around from area to area and I had no need to remove the left front wheel during my renovation until this week. WTF.gif

I can only get two of the 4 bolts loose. The master cylinder is out of the car so I have no brakes to help hold the wheel. I have an impact wrench that has helped get 2 off, but these last two are really on there.
I have a 4 foot pipe on my wrench and there is just not enough weight on the tire. The tire just spins. If I could come up with a way to lock the wheel I might be ok. Otherwise, I am using propane to heat the head of the bolt and Blaster and other sprays break them loosen.

I spray and leave it during the day. Then after work I have been putting the torch on the head of the bolt and holding it for 3 to 5 minutes. I let it cool down and try the impact wrench. Spray, work on something else and then try again.

Anyone had any other ideas? headbang.gif headbang.gif
Mike Bellis
If you're putting heat on it, don't let it cool down. Try to tighten then loosen with the impact wrench. Repeat.

If your lugs are that stuck, they may be FUBAR... sad.gif
luskesq
If you are trying to keep the wheel from spinning, put the two loosened ones back in, leaving them to protrude out from the wheel. Hopefully they will be out far enough for you to wedge a pipe, crowbar or something similar that between the two loosened lugs leaving the long end to wedge against the floor when turning. (clear as mud?) You can then perhaps use a cheater bar on your lug wench/or my preference deep socket (3/4" fits I believe) and breaker bar.

Good luck.

Keith
malcolm2
QUOTE(luskesq @ Feb 15 2013, 06:07 PM) *

If you are trying to keep the wheel from spinning, put the two loosened ones back in, leaving them to protrude out from the wheel. Hopefully they will be out far enough for you to wedge a pipe, crowbar or something similar that between the two loosened lugs leaving the long end to wedge against the floor when turning. (clear as mud?) You can then perhaps use a cheater bar on your lug wench/or my preference deep socket (3/4" fits I believe) and breaker bar.

Good luck.

Keith

Thanks for reminding me about that method. I think that is how I got the flywheel off.

IT WORKED. I used some tie-down straps to strap a 5 foot piece of angle to the wheel. Lugs are too short to use. I stood in the car for added weight and I had a friend do the honors with a long pipe on my wrench.

Clark

Click to view attachment
jersey914
QUOTE(luskesq @ Feb 15 2013, 07:07 PM) *

Good luck.

Keith

agree.gif
442nd914s
I had the very exact same issue. How I got it off was going to a bigger air compresser. From 80 -130psi. Vioala it worked. I was affraid of heat causing damage to the alloy Fuch wheel.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.