Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need pics
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
scotty b
Factory custom color Lilac.

I can't find any pics of this color confused24.gif
JamesM
Click to view attachment

I had a hard time finding any examples when deciding to paint this one for my wife. Not sure if they did an accurate job or not, but took it to Maaco and told them porsche color code 341 and this is how it turned out. The color seems to change quite a bit depending on the light.

the only other example of a 914 I was able to find was this one
http://www.p914.com/p914-6gt_paint_341_70.htm

couple 911s as well... not sure if it is the lighting or color shift from the camera but they all seems slitgly different in pictures

http://www.finecars.cc/typo3temp/GB/c5d8256134.jpg

http://www.356-911.com/modelinfo/911colour...urple341500.jpg
scotty b
That GT pics is more like what I was imagining. I found 911 shots but no 914's confused24.gif
I think alot of this may be lighting. This is a 911 pic I found. Same car as the one you posted

r_towle
Scott,

Keep in mind digital pics are alot different than real life..
Something about the digital camera seeking a different resolution, bt it does change the color on screen..

rich
Nine_14
http://www.p914.com/p914-6gt_paint_341_70.htm

This one ?
JamesM
You can see a bit of the color change just with the 2 shots of that same 911, though I still think mine may be a bit off, hard to say for sure though as I have never seen another example of that color in person and i did not have any samples to provide when i got it painted. In person mine looks a lot like the lower of the 2 911 pics you posted.

They actually shot my car twice as they did not mix the correct color the first time (looked more like aubergine), so i dont have much faith they mixed it completly correct the 2nd time either. Still though, you get what you pay for and for what I paid I think its usable for a while. Curious to see how it holds up.
JamesM
QUOTE(r_towle @ Feb 17 2013, 11:12 AM) *

Scott,

Keep in mind digital pics are alot different than real life..
Something about the digital camera seeking a different resolution, bt it does change the color on screen..

rich

YUP! Can't trust colors you see on screen, unless your exact monitor and the camera used to take the picture have both been color profiled, you will have all sorts of color shifts across all sorts of ranges. Even profiled, a lot of LCDs cant display certian color ranges properly anwyays.

I used to work for EPSON doing QA for product devlopment in their pro photo division. Learned more about color and digital workflow then most people would ever want to know.

Really need to see a sample in person, which I have yet to do.

scotty b
QUOTE(JamesM @ Feb 17 2013, 10:31 AM) *

You can see a bit of the color change just with the 2 shots of that same 911, though I still think mine may be a bit off, hard to say for sure though as I have never seen another example of that color in person and i did not have any samples to provide when i got it painted. In person mine looks a lot like the lower of the 2 911 pics you posted.

They actually shot my car twice as they did not mix the correct color the first time (looked more like aubergine), so i dont have much faith they mixed it completly correct the 2nd time either. Still though, you get what you pay for and for what I paid I think its usable for a while. Curious to see how it holds up.

I can almost guarantee yours is not exactly right. Maaco uses their own line of cheapo paint. The main differnece with cheap paint vs. expensive paint is the toners used, and more importantly the NUMBER of toners used. For example I might order signal orange in PPG's shop line ( lower grade ) and also order it in PPG Deltron ( high grade ) spray both colors, and there will be a significant difference. Reason being the cheaper line will only use 4 toners to achieve the end color, while the higher line will use 10 toners to get the final color. This results in a much more accurate color.
JamesM
QUOTE(scotty b @ Feb 17 2013, 11:54 AM) *

I can almost guarantee yours is not exactly right. Maaco uses their own line of cheapo paint. The main differnece with cheap paint vs. expensive paint is the toners used, and more importantly the NUMBER of toners used. For example I might order signal orange in PPG's shop line ( lower grade ) and also order it in PPG Deltron ( high grade ) spray both colors, and there will be a significant difference. Reason being the cheaper line will only use 4 toners to achieve the end color, while the higher line will use 10 toners to get the final color. This results in a much more accurate color.

I expected as much as you do get what you pay for. The Maaco choice was more of a cheap/temporary experiment as my buddy that does body/paint work took a job in Afganistan shortly after this project started. Once he is back for good I will probably look at painting it again though if the Maaco job holds up long enough ill probably get that silver car back to its original ivory white first.

If you paint one lilac please post pics and what paint you used, as you have found any examples of 914s in lilac are hard to come by.

dlkawashima
IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
Luke M
I saw this one a while back. It's on the PMS site. Says it's a little lilac but looks silver to me. It maybe the camera or the way the sun is hitting it.

http://www.patrickmotorsports.com/project/...-914-6-gt-also/
scotty b
QUOTE(Luke M @ Feb 17 2013, 01:55 PM) *

I saw this one a while back. It's on the PMS site. Says it's a little lilac but looks silver to me. It maybe the camera or the way the sun is hitting it.

http://www.patrickmotorsports.com/project/...-914-6-gt-also/

That's not a factory color. It is a color called " A little lilac " It's DUPonts special formula. they have a line called HOT HUES. I shot a Barracuda with it ( blue ). Neat paint. the blue on the 'Cuda almost looked like it had an electric charge to it. I'd like to see that lilac in person to see if it has the same effect
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.