Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: lowering my 914, some wheel work
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
johnpierre
hey everyone (at least here in los angeles). i want to lower my 73 a little, or at least explore the idea. i want it done as best as possible, i.e. ride quality, steering geometry etc. does anyone know of someone or a shop (here locally) that i can trust and that has plenty of experience doing this on 914s. i also want to strip the paint on my rivieras, and repaint them, i suppose that would just be any paint shop right ?
L73
QUOTE(johnpierre @ Feb 18 2013, 10:32 AM) *

hey everyone (at least here in los angeles). i want to lower my 73 a little, or at least explore the idea. i want it done as best as possible, i.e. ride quality, steering geometry etc. does anyone know of someone or a shop (here locally) that i can trust and that has plenty of experience doing this on 914s. i also want to strip the paint on my rivieras, and repaint them, i suppose that would just be any paint shop right ?

I have had tons of work done at TRE motorsports.... The are in the valley 818.509.0257
I would suggest bead blasting then powder coatintg... Tons of places in LA or the Valley for this....
johnpierre
QUOTE(L73 @ Feb 18 2013, 10:45 AM) *

QUOTE(johnpierre @ Feb 18 2013, 10:32 AM) *

I have had tons of work done at TRE motorsports.... The are in the valley 818.509.0257
I would suggest bead blasting then powder coatintg... Tons of places in LA or the Valley for this....

great. i live in venice, but i grew up in studio city, so i know the valley quiet well. think i will pop by when i visit my mother this week. thanks for the tip.
johnpierre
by the way does anyone have any opinions on lowering a car that is already pretty low in general. it's cool, don't do it, you'll ruin the ride, looks great, but you will sacrifice wheel size? anything, what are your thoughts...
KaptKaos
If you're in Venice, check in with Alex at Pre-Tech. He's on Washington across from the Cost Co.

johnpierre
QUOTE(KaptKaos @ Feb 18 2013, 11:26 AM) *

If you're in Venice, check in with Alex at Pre-Tech. He's on Washington across from the Cost Co.

ok i have heard his name mentioned a few times, and i live close by. thx.
Tom_T
Otto's in Venice knows 914s well for the suspension & any other mechanical work.

You could refinish the Rivieras yourself - strip & repaint, smooth out minor curb-rash, if they're not too bad. Look up some of the wheel refinishing threads on here & adapt to Rivieras.
r_towle
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Feb 18 2013, 03:47 PM) *

Otto's in Venice knows 914s well for the suspension & any other mechanical work.

You could refinish the Rivieras yourself - strip & repaint, smooth out minor curb-rash, if they're not too bad. Look up some of the wheel refinishing threads on here & adapt to Rivieras.

I believe Otto recently passed away.
There is a thread here on that.

Lowering the car will create compromises that you need to understand.
To low, and the car becomes stiff, hits potholes and shakes teeth.

To low and you end up with twitchy steering sometimes called "bump steering"

We have all scraped the ground and all raised them back up again.

Never let the front a-arm get beyond level, that is to low and requires modifications to get it to be right...

You will need to get an alignment after you lower the car.

You will need to buy adjustable perch rear shocks to give you any adjustment in the rear.
Front is simple, turn the adjusters to lower it.

rich
KaptKaos
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Feb 18 2013, 12:47 PM) *

Tom - I haven't heard what the future of the shop is since Otto's (John's) passing. Have you heard anything?
johnpierre
QUOTE(r_towle @ Feb 18 2013, 03:07 PM) *

Never let the front a-arm get beyond level, that is to low and requires modifications to get it to be right...

You will need to buy adjustable perch rear shocks to give you any adjustment in the rear.

rich

that is good insight. as it turns out, it is the front that i want to lower more, to create a slight racked look. when you say, the front is easier and just turn adjusters is that something i can do without taking everything apart?
johnpierre
QUOTE(johnpierre @ Feb 18 2013, 04:05 PM) *

rich

that is good insight. as it turns out, it is the front that i want to lower more, to create a slight racked look. when you say, the front is easier and just turn adjusters is that something i can do without taking everything apart?

by the way i am talking about an inch maybe 2 inches at the most.

messix
yes if you look at rear part of the front suspension arm were it meets the body you will wee that there is a small bokt that looks like igoes up into the crossmember, that isa the adjuster for the torsion bar that is the "spring" for that side of the front end.
the "lever" has the bolt go thru it, make the lever go up the body goes down
looks like this.
r_towle
QUOTE(johnpierre @ Feb 18 2013, 07:05 PM) *

rich

Simple to do, see pic above.
Measure at the bottom of the rocker panel, both front and rear.
I shoot for about 1/4 inch lower in front than in the rear when measured at the rocker panel.

Measuring the fender lip is filled with to many variations....

I also use a block of wood put right under the adjuster, measured to the exact height I want on one side...then go to the other side and slide the block in place....lower car to block...

Its faster than trying to hold a tape measure while adjusting the bolt...while trying to read the tape measure....etc...

If you want it perfect, sit in the front seat and have someone do it again with the weight on one side..
Then the car rides perfect with you in it, but looks odd when you are not in it.

rich
johnpierre
man, you guys are the shit. i love this website, this community... aktion035.gif and i think i just found a place where i can do this with the right tools and such. in stead of my drive way.
johnpierre
QUOTE(Scotti @ Feb 18 2013, 07:16 PM) *

QUOTE(johnpierre @ Feb 18 2013, 07:58 PM) *

man, you guys are the shit. i love this website, this community... aktion035.gif and i think i just found a place where i can do this with the right tools and such. in stead of my drive way.

Are those smoothies on your white car? Nice shades.gif

ya, original moons, wanted to give the 14 a soCal look plus im not a big fan of rivieras, which is what they are covering. so until i can afford the 911 fuch set-up the way i want, thought i would roll with these. here are some better shots. as ma be you read, i want to lower the front just a tap and i think it really add to the look.
johnpierre
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Feb 18 2013, 12:47 PM) *

hey Tom T

thanks for the advice, it took some searching but i found a post in a thread that is what im looking for in regards to the wheels. i think im going to use a Eastwood refinishing kit for aluminum wheels. going to clean the rivieras up and then decide to either paint them my self or have them professionally done. smile.gif
euro911
Hey JP, you only need an 11mm wrench to lower the front end You don't need to turn the adjuster bolts very much.

If you don't want to tackle it yourself, come on down ...

Gotta love them 'Moons' laugh.gif

Click to view attachment
johnpierre
QUOTE(euro911 @ Feb 19 2013, 12:30 AM) *

Hey JP, you only need an 11mm wrench to lower the front end You don't need to turn the adjuster bolts very much.

Click to view attachment

straight up....... shades.gif
KaptKaos

barf.gif

Not so much. w00t.gif
worn

rich

Is there a way to add an adjustable rear perch if you don't have bilsteins? Otherwise it seems like you need a host of rear springs to get it right. Any ideas?
Cupomeat
You are generally constrained to buying a rear shock that has adjustable perches unless you want to mess with spring length and k factor.

Get the adjustable perch shocks, it is worth it.
Randal
QUOTE(Cupomeat @ Feb 19 2013, 11:08 AM) *

You are generally constrained to buying a rear shock that has adjustable perches unless you want to mess with spring length and k factor.

Get the adjustable perch shocks, it is worth it.

+1 And very easy to adjust. biggrin.gif
Cupomeat
Also, I know it was said, but you will need to adjust your toe-in on the front suspension once you lower it.

Plan for that as a step or you'll have mediocre handling and chew through tires quickly.
falconfp2001
You can buy some Bump Steer spacers also. This will allow you to lower the front by maybe 1/2" to 3/4" depending on how your front is now. You can find them on-line at Weltmeister I think.

There was a great write-up ona website that is no longer maintained.

Frank
johnpierre
QUOTE(falconfp2001 @ Feb 21 2013, 07:00 PM) *

You can buy some Bump Steer spacers also. This will allow you to lower the front by maybe 1/2" to 3/4" depending on how your front is now. You can find them on-line at Weltmeister I think.

There was a great write-up ona website that is no longer maintained.

Frank

cool thx.
euro911
Here's the tech article on 'How to install the bump-steer kit' Click here ...

Labor cost to install it is about the same as two cases of Starbucks Mocha-flavored Frapuccinos laugh.gif

... and the kit is relatively cheap, available from Pelican: Click here

Click to view attachment

johnpierre
QUOTE(euro911 @ Feb 21 2013, 08:17 PM) *

Labor cost to install it is about the same as two cases of Starbucks Mocha-flavored Frapuccinos laugh.gif

Click to view attachment

Copy that.... biggrin.gif
johnpierre
QUOTE(euro911 @ Feb 21 2013, 08:17 PM) *

Click to view attachment

enough said...
jdlmodelt
I'm hoping changing the tires will level her out. I have 185 on front 165-15 on back. I have the torsion bar adjusted about 3/4 screwed in on front and it still dips in front. Is it possible for the front torsion bar to have been installed incorrectly?
jmill
If you remove the adjuster bolt you can pop the cap off the torsion bar. Re-index the cap on the bar to give you more adjustment. Cap might be froze on the bar. When you try and pop off the cap the bar comes out with it. No biggie. Re index the bar. Do this when it's up on jackstands. Dont want the car falling on you.
jdlmodelt
QUOTE(jmill @ Feb 26 2013, 09:06 PM) *

If you remove the adjuster bolt you can pop the cap off the torsion bar. Re-index the cap on the bar to give you more adjustment. Cap might be froze on the bar. When you try and pop off the cap the bar comes out with it. No biggie. Re index the bar. Do this when it's up on jackstands. Dont want the car falling on you.

Cool, thanks!
johnpierre
QUOTE(johnpierre @ Feb 19 2013, 10:34 AM) *

Click to view attachment

straight up....... shades.gif

hey Mark
just ordered a vacuum hose kit, so as soon as it gets here i will PM you and come down (wth the mocca's of course) and we can tackle the front end and the hoses. jp
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.