Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Throttle sticking BUT I have new cable....?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
lennyhope
I have fitted a new throttle cable and it is routed correctly, however it is still sticking... Any suggestions? If it is the pedal bush, how easy are they to fit?? Are there any fitting guides out there?
JawjaPorsche
QUOTE(lennyhope @ Feb 20 2013, 04:13 AM) *

I have fitted a new throttle cable and it is routed correctly, however it is still sticking... Any suggestions? If it is the pedal bush, how easy are they to fit?? Are there any fitting guides out there?

Do you have the original gas pedal? A lot of them get real floppy at the hinge area and cause the pedal to rub.
cary
Need a little more detail.

Sticking at full throttle, hanging up and not returning to the closed position, etc.
lennyhope
Snagging / dragging every now and then...
cary
How do you get it back into the correct position.
With the throttle pedal or by hand at the throttle body?
rgalla9146
QUOTE(cary @ Feb 20 2013, 05:01 AM) *

Are you sure it's not fouled up with the clutch cable just inside the front of the tunnel ? Easy to do.
DBCooper
Disconnect the cable at the throttle body, hlld the cable and have someone push the gas pedal, see where it's binding. Could be the pedal, the cable, or the TB. Disconnect them and you should be able to see which.
KENNY
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Feb 20 2013, 05:09 AM) *

QUOTE(cary @ Feb 20 2013, 05:01 AM) *

Are you sure it's not fouled up with the clutch cable just inside the front of the tunnel ? Easy to do.

agree.gif
KaptKaos
I replaced a clutch cable and it got wrapped around a brake line. Check the tunnel. Make sure its not tangled up.
lennyhope
I just passed the new cable through and it popped up near the cluster and attached it...Didnt see anything to get in th eway...
Dave_Darling
It's been known to happen, even that way. Double-check.

Disconnect each end of the cable so you can find what exactly is sticking. The pedal, the cable itself, the throttle plate, or ???

--DD
RoadGlue
Yep! Sounds like it's getting caught on the clutch cable. All of us have done it (some of us... um, me, more than once!). A small round mirror (like for a dentist) on a hinge works wonders for seeing what you've done. HF has 'em for pennies. wink.gif
lennyhope
QUOTE(RoadGlue @ Feb 20 2013, 10:47 PM) *

Yep! Sounds like it's getting caught on the clutch cable. All of us have done it (some of us... um, me, more than once!). A small round mirror (like for a dentist) on a hinge works wonders for seeing what you've done. HF has 'em for pennies. wink.gif

Thanks. Will let you know what I find... beerchug.gif
AZ914
QUOTE(RoadGlue @ Feb 20 2013, 10:47 PM) *

Been there... done that.. I think more people have this problem than not. biggrin.gif
stugray
I had a similar problem when I first installed carbs. New cable, not tangling with clutch cable, and it would still bind and not let the carbs close. I tried extra springs to pull the cable towards the engine bay, but it made it worse.

Then I removed all extra springs using only the ones on the carbs, and the cable moved smotth as silk.

If you put too much tension on the cable, it will bind.

Stu
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.