Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: GROUP BUY: 5-LUG CONVERSION - Drilled 914 front rotors and rear hubs
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
billh1963
1970 through 1972.8 - Early 914 Package P/N 914.351.352.01
Retail = $720.40
Discount = $144.08
Group Buy Total = $576.32

Commitments:
1. Gene
2. Eyesright
3. Igo914

1972.8 through 1976 - Late 914 Package P/N 914.351.352.02 (Centering Ring will be machined off the front rotors)
Retail = $772.40
Discount = $154.48
Group Buy Total = $617.92

Commitments:
1. billh1963
2. billh1963
3. Chris H.
4. Philip W.
5. Darin300
6. Nie Zu Alt
7. KENNY
8. MrLeeS

This Group Buy will need to have 10 or more participants to get the pricing where we need it. The price includes the following items:

(2) Front Rotors (early or late) machined to 5x130 with studs included.
(2) Sets of bearings and seals for above.
(2) Rear rotors machined to 5x130.
(2) Machined Hubs (you must supply the cores) freshly plated in silver zinc with studs included.
(2) Rear wheel bearings.

To be a part of this group buy you must send in a pair of rear hubs. The machining costs are based upon a minimum of 10 pair of rear hubs and ten pair of front rotors.

***IMPORTANT*** Once the group buy reaches the minimum on the hubs and rotors we can talk about pricing on separate units ('hey... how much for a pair of rear hubs only?" -or- "how much for an extra pair of front rotors?") GROUP BUY ENDS 3/3/2013 (we will extend it through the All Porsche Swap Meet and Car Show in Anaheim)

So.... going 5-lug for $6-clams with all new components and new bearings ta boot?!?!? Yeah... it's a good deal. If you look at the rotor pricing alone, this is just $22 - $24 more per rotor over the stock pricing but it includes the machining and studs! On the rear hubs the savings is around $30.00...

Again, this is a complete soup to nuts 914 5-lug package. Bearings, seals rotors, hubs and studs. It's all there ready for you to bolt it on. These will be screw in studs with Red Loctite as seen below.

Picture of a late model front rotor with the centering ring machined off and the 5x130 pattern machined into the hub section
IPB Image

It shouldn't be too hard to find 10 people in this big ole world of ours who want this at the best price possible. Commit now and be cruising in style this summer...
billh1963
I am definitely in for one...maybe two pending final price!
76-914
popcorn[1].gif
biosurfer1
Pending prices, I would be interested too.
r_towle
Pending prices , I would be up for it.
I would prefer screw in studs to keep my wheel options open as I put on the flares...get spacers etc.

Rich
billh1963
QUOTE(r_towle @ Feb 20 2013, 11:11 AM) *

Pending prices , I would be up for it.
I would prefer screw in studs to keep my wheel options open as I put on the flares...get spacers etc.

Rich

Not a bad thought. That might be a nice option...Studs installed or uninstalled.
Eric_Shea
I'll use this post to explain some of the benefits of this type of conversion and to help answer any questions.

Other than conversion spacers (which are kinda dangerous and take up tread room), this is he least expensive and the cleanest 5-lug conversion you can do for your 914. Each kit contains 4 brand new German rotors (Sebro and Zimmermann are both OEM suppliers). You won't have to get new struts and you won't need new calipers. You'll have the piece of mind of knowing that you'll have new bearings and rotors on all four corners. If assembled properly, these studs with Red Loctite will be a safe and long lasting alternative to expensive and (in this application) troublesome Verbus press in studs. Let's do a Q&A session. I'll lay out some of the questions I've already received here as well:

Why screw in studs for this application? - On the backside of a factory front rotor/hub assembly you have strengthening ribs adjacent to the lug bolt holes. When you index, drill and spot face the front rotor for press in studs you will need to cut into one of those ribs substantially and another will be cut through completely. This is the number one reason I do not recommend press in studs for these rotors. Also, the rotors are a mild steel while factory hubs (like your rear hubs) are hardened. when you press a Verbus stud into the mild steel it can chip and flake around the stud opening on the face of the rotor. This is what I meant by troublesome.

Can I get different length studs? I want to run spacers. - Yes. they are not free though. wink.gif Inquire within with your spacer dimensions and we'll get you a final price.

How do I know if I need an early kit or a late kit? - Good question. Most of these 914's have had a few wrenches put on them Some have late model components on early tubs and some have early pieces on later tubs. The only concern is your front calipers. The rear bits are all interchangeable. So, with the front calipers, there's a few determining factors that will tell you whether you have early or late model units. Bleeders - Early calipers have one bleeder and late model calipers have dual bleeders. Fasteners - While both have M7 fasteners, the early calipers have through bolts with 11mm nuts, later units have M7 Hex head fasteners that terminate in a machined nose section. So; one bleeder and nuts on the fastener? Early. Dual bleeders and hex head fasteners? Late.

I've seen it where screw in studs back out. Aren't these dangerous? - I've seen that as well. One of our esteemed members from Grand Junction, CO purchased a car that had that very thing happen to it. The person who installed the studs did not use the proper "Red" (permanent) Loctite. With the proper bonding agent on the threads these studs will not come loose unless you take a torch to them and heat the Loctite. DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT INSTALLING THE STUDS WITHOUT THE LOCTITE. These will be safe.

Would you do this to your car? - Yes. You can do everything you can do in a 4-lug 914 with this package, only with better looking wheels. This system does not compromise the integrity of the braking system or suspension at all.

I have a 250hp motor planned for my 914. Will this system work for that application? - I depends upon your driving style. There are plenty of narrow bodied 4-lug 914's out there with 250hp hiding in them. As stated above, you can do anything that you could in a 4-lug 914 with this system. That said, if you plan to race your 914 on a regular basis (beyond the monthly PCA autocross realm) you may want to rethink the system. Not because of the studs or the machining of the components... because of the brake calipers and the limits of the factory CV's. There are better systems for high horsepower racing applications. They will a ) give you better brake upgrade options for the front rotors and b ) with a 911 rear hub you'll have beefier CV choices. The$e $yStem$ can run thou$and$ of dollar$ a$ well. biggrin.gif Readers Digest; Racing a lot? No. Street and some autocross? Yes.

Can I go back to 4-lug with this system? - Sure. All you would need to do is remove the studs and bolt on your 4-lug wheels. In fact, if you end up needing new front rotors (because you're a canyon carving monster) you can simply heat up he stud base with a MAPP torch and back the studs out.

Why is the later system more expensive? - There's a couple of reasons for that. 1. The late front rotors themselves are about $18.00 each more expensive than the early front rotors. 2. The later rotors have a centering ring incorporated into the bearing housing. This is an extra machining step because it needs to be milled off for the 5-lug wheels to fit.

What else should I be prepared for? - Good question. The biggest trick with the home mechanic and this system will be your wheel bearings. The rear wheel bearings can be tricky to get out while on the car but, that process can be eased a bit by renting a bearing puller from your FLAPS or taking your rear control arms off and using a press or taking them to a shop that has a press. The front bearing races will have to be pressed into your new rotors as well. This is the same procedure you'd follow if you bought new rotors. Inquire within if you would like us to install your front bearings prior to shipping. Our shop rate is $75.00 and it would probably be a flat 1/2 hour charge for both inner and outer, left and right and new seals.

So, is the pricing really a good deal? - I think so. You could purchase all of the rotors and bearings on the site right now and it would only be about $22-29 less per rotor (excluding getting your rear hubs converted). To have everything machined with studs for an extra $22-29 per corner? That's pretty good. The hubs (which we've never had on sale) are $29.00 off with this buy. All of the rotors, bearings and seals are 20% off. Then the machine work is added to the buy and even that is discounted 20% (which is why we had to go for a 10 kit minimum). Your rear hubs will also be plated in clear zinc as well. I honestly don't think you could get all of this stuff together, source the parts, drive around town and get this done on your own for what it would cost to have it show up on your doorstep.

You could always do a little comparison shopping...

http://www.autoatlanta.com/Porsche-Five-Lu...N-BMIS2000.html

Please let me know if you have any further questions.
billh1963
I'm in for two late packages! IIRC in one of your posts discussing the different options for a 5-lug conversion you mentioned a flange being machined off on late model rotors to use Fuchs..will that be done as well?
Eric_Shea
Late Package P/N 914.351.352.02 (Centering Ring will be machined off the front rotors)

No stone unturned Weedhopper. locust.gif
billh1963
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Feb 20 2013, 03:30 PM) *

Late Package P/N 914.351.352.02 (Centering Ring will be machined off the front rotors)

No stone unturned Weedhopper. locust.gif

Duh! In my excitement I missed that... av-943.gif
VaccaRabite
Hershey delivery?
Chris H.
I'm in for one late set....nice deal.

Eric, I'll need to use 15mm spacers for my new 5 lug wheels...do we just specify that when we pay up so we get the correct stud length? There are a couple of types out there... we can figure it out later.

Also probably need some new pads...what's best for moderate to aggressive street-only driving?
Eric_Shea
Porterfield R4S pads are our all time favorite for the driving style you describe. $64.95 for your front (late 914 thicker) pads and $59.95 for the rears. Early 914 front pads are $59.95. These can be added to the order and piggy-back on the freight.

Longer studs will be slightly more. I'll get your measurements and check with them tomorrow.
Chris H.
OK cool. Thanks. Upcharge for longer studs is fine. I was power-learning the difference between the two types of spacers and the simpler style I wanted to use will work with studs...just like a huge washer huh? The other type with 2 sets of bolts looks like a complicated PITA and is for for cars without studs.
DRPHIL914
Add me to the list for one set of late for my'75
- also will have bearings pressed.

Phil
billh1963
Anyone else?
Darin300
I would be in for late set also..
Eric_Shea
Thanks Darin... Sure beats the other price you saw! biggrin.gif

See you at the swap meet?
balljoint
icon_bump.gif
adiokyro
being difficult: I need the rear 5 lug hubs/discs and hardware only.... if poss
billh1963
icon_bump.gif
billh1963
icon_bump.gif
Eric_Shea
Last week to save $$$.$$ gang. If you're "thinking" about this in the future, think hard now. Unless materials costs and labor go "down" this is as good as it gets.

GB ends Sunday.
eyesright
I have a '70 nightmare -6 conversion that I bought off ebay 2 years ago now. Its at the body shop getting new floors. I have 14" Fuchs wheels reconditioned that look great. I've thought about 911 struts, etc but this sounds great for what I need.

I'm in for an early set. I'll have to get it back from the body shop to get the rear hubs off. What is your time frame?

Thanks.
Chris H.
Check the classifieds...lots of 4 lug hub chatter. You can get a pair for $50. That way you aren't yanking yours until you're ready. The group buy ends 3/3 but it will then be some time for Eric to produce the sets.
billh1963
QUOTE(Chris H. @ Feb 26 2013, 10:59 AM) *

Check the classifieds...lots of 4 lug hub chatter. You can get a pair for $50. That way you aren't yanking yours until you're ready. The group buy ends 3/3 but it will then be some time for Eric to produce the sets.

Look at the WTB thread I started in the classifieds. Lots of people posted offering hubs. Feel free to contact any of those who responded to make your purchase.
KENNY
Add me to the list for one late set.if this go true how long will be the waiting time .
Chris H.
KENNY you mighty be #10!!!!!!!!
KENNY
QUOTE(Chris H. @ Feb 26 2013, 01:15 PM) *

KENNY you mighty be #10!!!!!!!!

That will be awesome w00t.gif
Eric_Shea
I'm purchasing 10 pair of cores for the rear hubs to not only get this started faster but to facility future orders. We should OK but there will be a core charge if you want to do the swap.

I also put myself down for one each of the kits for shelf stock (which I'll sell later at a higher price if people don't come in on the buy) tongue.gif

Also looking to open this up for:

1. Rear Hub Purchases - $116 per pair plus your cores. These are zinc plated, drilled for 5x130 and studded.

2. Rear Rotor Purchases - $83.60 each. Zimmer 914-4 rear rotors drilled to the 5x130 pattern. Advantages: cheaper than trimming the edge off a 914-6 rotor. Mounting screws will work with modified 914-4 rear hubs.

3. Early 5-lug Front Rotor Purchases - $89.60 each drilled and with studs.

4. Late 5-lug Front Rotor Purchases - $110.40 each drilled and with studs.

The cheap elite will be getting out their calculators and realizing these are less than the buy but... don't forget the bearings because you'll need them and, they'll be more expensive than they are here. You'll be doing one of these headbang.gif when you find out you have to pay more later! biggrin.gif
DRPHIL914
icon_bump.gif

so that means we are on for sure? beer.gif

Way to go Bill H. and Eric for getting this going, my wife with thank you dry.gif
or not! ,

anyway , getting pretty excited about this but it is leading to a long list of
"while i'm there" , you know, like calipers, pads etc etc.

And i am in search of the perfect set of 15x6 or 16x6 Fuchs popcorn[1].gif

FL000
Special request on the a la carte menu - I have 2 new rear rotors I would like to get machined. That and I would like to get the rear hubs and bearings. Is that doable confused24.gif
Eric_Shea
QUOTE(FL 000 @ Feb 27 2013, 09:01 PM) *

Special request on the a la carte menu - I have 2 new rear rotors I would like to get machined. That and I would like to get the rear hubs and bearings. Is that doable confused24.gif

Si Senor. Shipping can be a bit though.

All Group Buy guys, make sure I have your address and contact info.
Nie Zu Alt
Eric,

Put me down for a late set for my '74. I'll PM you with contact info.

Thanks!

Doug H.
igo914
Eric,

If its not too late, put me down for a early set for my '70. I have some rear hubs to send you as well if needed. I'll also need some extended studs. PM will be sent shortly.

Regards,

Ivan O.
billh1963
GB ends today....
Nie Zu Alt
So, what's the next step with this process? Eric - need me to send you my hubs?

Just curious....

Thanks,

Doug
Eric_Shea
Yes. Need hubs ASAP. I'm cataloging the GB right now and should have a list of where we stand with hubs in a few hours.

So, next will be hubs and credit cards biggrin.gif
Nie Zu Alt
Thanks Eric. I'll get the hubs in the mail to you this weekend. While you are adding things up, I'd also like to you to install the front wheel bearings on my set.

Thanks again!

Doug
Eric_Shea
OK Gang...

Everybody should have an estimate e-mailed to them today. Please look it over and make sure we didn't miss anything. I put an order in today for over 50 rotors and bearings. biggrin.gif

So far I have billing (credit card) info for one buy (thanks Tim). Please call next week with your billing card or, PayPal commit so we know where to go with this once it comes time to bill. I want to have all that wrapped up by the end of the week. If you would like to use PayPal, make sure the invoice is correct and send to sales @ pmbperformance.com Phone is 855-STOP-101 (855) 786-7101.

We will be getting the jigs made next week and should have everything wrapped up by the end of the month. Goal is to have everything shipped by then.
billh1963
Thank you, Eric! Paypalling Monday morning. Will send out hubs Monday morning as well.
Chris H.
This is getting REAL now!!! I'll pay up via Paypal as soon as you add my extras to the invoice Eric. Sent you an email reply. Thanks again!
billh1963
Paid for two sets.....hubs shipping today. Looking forward to this!
rpmmaxxed
Did the deadline stick?
Eric_Shea
QUOTE(rpmmaxxed @ Mar 11 2013, 09:49 AM) *

Did the deadline stick?

Meaning?

Yes, we're done. All parts have been ordered.

Chris, Bill = Received smilie_pokal.gif

Thanks!
Eric_Shea
***UPDATE***

Trying to wrap this up before the end of the month. I will be billing cards today for those of you who haven't paid already. For those of you who haven't called with a payment method, please do so today. We have a few people on a waiting list so, let me know if you are backing out and now want to forfeit your order and give it to someone else. Just need to take it off the books today if that's the case.

Today should be the day for the machining. We're hoping to have all of the parts done by Monday. Then installing hubs and shipping will commence.

Here's a little preview:

Rear Rotors waiting their turn in line on the mill:
IPB Image

The rotor is dropped onto a peg in the fixture...
IPB Image

...then the cap is mounted to keep everything rock solid-steady:
IPB Image

Late model front rotor will get the centering ring machined off to accommodate the 5x130 Fuchs wheels. This one is being test fit onto the jig.
IPB Image

The jig for the rear hub is ready to go. The hub is dropped onto the pin and also indexed by the M6x1 mounting holes.
IPB Image
billh1963
Exciting to see some progress! Looking forward to getting my two sets in.
bulitt
Eric- now that you have all these fixtures and jigs, what will be the price to have rotors drilled?
Eric_Shea
Eric- now that you have all these fixtures and jigs, what will be the price to have rotors drilled?

Should be as follows:

$25.00 per rotor for a "new" early rotor and,
$35.00 per rotor for a "new" late rotor (extra machining for the centering ring).

Prices are in addition to the cost of the rotor and, I emphasized "new" because we can't put old rotors in the machine. All of the hubs had to be replated before we can run them.
balljoint
Is this in house or out sourced?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.