Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Question about body flex
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
xperu
would anyone tell me if you get body flex and change door gap approx. 1/8" when jacking at the rear jacking jacking point. Thanks Mike
sfrenck
I used to get that amount of flex - and then I found a new car that didn't have a rust.

Sorry to be the one to tell you that you need to look behind your rocker covers and start poking for a rust problem.

Read this:

Body Stiffness

And this:

Gaps

to start.
xperu
QUOTE(sfrenck @ Feb 22 2013, 06:14 PM) *

I used to get that amount of flex - and then I found a new car that didn't have a rust.

Sorry to be the one to tell you that you need to look behind your rocker covers and start poking for a rust problem.

Read this:

Body Stiffness

And this:

Gaps

to start.

Thanks for your advice, that would be my first impulse, but I have to much into this car. I know it is fixable, I don't have the knowhow in gards to welding etc. I am hope to find someone in the Houston area that help me. I'm retired now (as of yesterday) so I have the time, but I need a reasonable price. Anyone that could help me in the Houston area would be great. Mike
mskala
Not necessarily bad. I've had at least that much flex on my -6 since I
bought it 15 years ago, it's not getting worse. I use stiff springs and
have put about 70K miles on it.
Jackposts had rusted previous to my ownership but not badly damaging
the outer rockers, and there seems to be a small piece under the hell
hole that was patched with rivets.
Of course look closely for any real rust problems, but just because the
gap changes doesn't mean your car is terminal. Good luck
reharvey
QUOTE(mskala @ Feb 23 2013, 12:49 PM) *

Not necessarily bad. I've had at least that much flex on my -6 since I
bought it 15 years ago, it's not getting worse. I use stiff springs and
have put about 70K miles on it.
Jackposts had rusted previous to my ownership but not badly damaging
the outer rockers, and there seems to be a small piece under the hell
hole that was patched with rivets.
Of course look closely for any real rust problems, but just because the
gap changes doesn't mean your car is terminal. Good luck

agree.gif
BritCarJim
I read through those threads....it looks and sounds great but i dont want to give up the chance to have heat, i guess you could just cut out where the heater hoses come through, yes? Anything else you are giving up by going this way?

Jim
Sneezy
Targas are stiff after you cage them.
BritCarJim
QUOTE(Sneezy @ Feb 23 2013, 11:29 PM) *

allright, everybody else seemed to think that is a good thing...though i would have to cut out for the heater hoses...is stiffness bad? (i thought girls liked it that way...)
xperu
QUOTE(BritCarJim @ Feb 23 2013, 11:35 PM) *

QUOTE(Sneezy @ Feb 23 2013, 11:29 PM) *

allright, everybody else seemed to think that is a good thing...though i would have to cut out for the heater hoses...is stiffness bad? (i thought girls liked it that way...)

I poked around with a screw driver every place where that bad metal would be, but all is solid I even took several raps with a hammer, but could not find any problems. To make sure I am not missing anything and find peace-of-mind, I would like to have a professional opinion. Anyone have any suggestion on what type of shop would have an idea what to look for on a 914. If any of you guys know of any shop in Houston or any of you Houston 914 guys would like to take a look I would greatly appreciate it. Mike
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.