Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: ENGMAN
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
02loftsmoor
does any have the prints for Mark's sheet metal repair kits,, I could check with a compay that water jets parts
Why not reach out for his estate for permission first....
JoeSharp
QUOTE(396 @ Feb 23 2013, 02:35 PM) *

Why not reach out for his estate for permission first....

Thank you....
02loftsmoor
never met the man or have had any dealings, any help on contacting his estate would be helpful.. I would like to keep the Engman product name going in Marks honor.
QUOTE(02loftsmoor @ Feb 23 2013, 03:20 PM) *

never met the man or have had any dealings, any help on contacting his estate would be helpful.. I would like to keep the Engman product name going in Marks honor.

I have no "skin" on this other than by principal. If one simply copies Engman's product as if it was their own via R&D and with out his estate's ok.. I'm on that will not purchase your product. To me, it's like ripping him / his family off.
VaccaRabite
On the other hand. If the estate is willing to let you continue on with is work, it would be a boon to the community.
His obit was posted here last December. Here is the link to it:
http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/louisvill...649#fbLoggedOut

I'd imagine that the estate would want you to buy the rights to continue making his parts. But you never know until you ask.

Zach
02loftsmoor
As a bussiness man I know how things work, I cannot believe you I would even think of RIPPING off someones name, maybe you would, If I was going to RIPP off someone do think I would post for all to see. bs.gif

QUOTE(396 @ Feb 23 2013, 08:52 PM) *

QUOTE(02loftsmoor @ Feb 23 2013, 03:20 PM) *

I have no "skin" on this other than by principal. If one simply copies Engman's product as if it was their own via R&D and with out his estate's ok.. I'm on that will not purchase your product. To me, it's like ripping him / his family off.

02loftsmoor
Place to start. I really hate contacting someone after a passing of a young soul.
swood
Oh man, first i heard of this. I've been off the grid for quite sometime...
ConeDodger
It's too soon... Leave her alone.
cary
I'm with Rob.
Give them some time.

I too believe that some one should continue on.
I'm thinking pay something for the machine drawings.
Then pay them something for each part sold.
Kind of like a royalty.

My .02c for tonight.
hot_shoe914
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Feb 23 2013, 09:31 PM) *

It's too soon... Leave her alone.

I know you guys think it is to soon and normally I would agree. However, I have seen many an opportunity missed because some decent person was waiting, giving the family time to grieve, only to have somebody else swoop in and grab the opportunity. It is a very touchy area but sometimes you just have to make that move.

Shoe
Sneezy
I'm thinking that her grief is more important than petty toy car parts.
Dr Evil
It may be the right time if Mark's death has left them in financial need.
BritCarJim
i hate to say this in a hobbiest community...i have some professional experience in this area...people grieve differently and at different rates. some people are ready to talk about car parts in 2 weeks...other folks need a year. i would support you asking her...very tactfully and with a willingness to back off if she needs you to do so. good luck.

jim
rsrguy3
Why not just design your own? I don't see the issue here, you don't have to copy his. Just do your own thing. If you are set on this as a charitable thing THAT is another issue all together. Was he actually doing the cutting of the pieces, or out sourcing it? If he was out sourcing, than someone could step up and manage that process and they could take the royalty and leave the bulk of the proceeds to the estate, I think that is the better option. If he was doing the work himself then someone local could take it on as a side job for wages, again leaving the proceeds to the family.
cary
Both sides of the argument have merit. I'll back track a little

Having never met the family I'd want to go thru a friend.
You right coast guys probably have a better handle on that.

Shoe's right. Many a a time. You snooze you loose.

I think if the first contact is delicate. You've got nothing to loose.
Just keep in mind that he died 20-30 years ahead of schedule.

BritCarJim
crap dude. i can't help it: i never met the guy or had a direct (albeit electronic) conversation with him, but i've read his stuff here when doing research, anybody know what happened? i agree that he went early but the obit didn't read like a long illness like cancer or something.
VaccaRabite
I hate to sound like I don't care, because I do. That said. It's cleaner for both parties to buy the rights outright then set up some sort of pay back / royalty scheme. Too many ways for it to go bad over time.

And you buy the rights because Mark engineered some great IP. His work was well thought out and just worked. Starting from scratch means you need 5 years development before you have a full product line that is solid, and someone will come and just say "you stole Marks stuff" wether you did or did not.
02loftsmoor
I agree
morph
Been gone awile... quite shocked to hear about this from this thread.
Make your own parts.dont copy peoples stuff.i had people calling me about a family members stuff after they died and it was annoying.
i asked evil back in the day if i could do dashes because his source was no more. it was just the polite thing to do.
james
www.914ap.com
ruby914
Not thinking so much of the loss of his fine products. I really feel a friend or at least someone in the area should check on the family.
There may be a garage / shop full of tools, jigs, fixtures and material that needs to be cleared out. This could be a big problem for the family.
He had a business that, I am sure, could have been sold on an open market.

Maybe someone close, could tell the family what his work meant to the 914 community.
Let them know, we would like to keep his work alive.
Report back here and tell us where everything stands.
Dasnowman
You could always say Mark left a legacy I want to continue if that's alright with you, then go from their. Some people would want this done for no financial benefit or part of the proceeds going to charity or maybe he has kids that need money for education but either way a friend of the family or his friend would be best suited to to talk to the family or wife. Personally I wouldn't want some person unknown to bother me or my family during this time, how ever long it might be.
02loftsmoor
that is my intent, and put his name on the kit/parts as tribute to his work, I don't have time to redevelop parts and I don't want to.
Dr Evil
Mark has as Son, who's name I can not recall, that was at Hershey at least once. He may be interested in taking over. Again, contact is needed to suss this out. If you wont help, no biggie and we move on. If it can help, great.
02loftsmoor
I'll see what I can do,, Delicatley as possible..
jimkelly
for those that can't wait for this to get sorted out, maddog and jwest have been offering a different version of some items.

inner long kit
http://www.maddogsmotorsports.com/Products.php

fuse box
http://www.jwesteng.com/porsche/914/fuse.htm

jim
Spoke
That Maddog Long kit looks just like Mark's.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.