Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 4 point harness DOT for California
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Marv's3.6six
Hey teeners I am looking to install 4 point harness in my GT. Does anyone know if the harness needs to be DOT approved in Ca.. AFAIK the only DOT choice is Schroth Rally 4 .... Opinons ???? Thanks.

blink.gif
Andyrew
For the streets? Most cops dont care/know. If you were driving a civic ya they would nail you because they want to be a dick, but a classic car/hot rod? Nah they are much more lenient.

I have had a simpson in my car for 10 years.
brant
its probably not technically legal
although I agree that you should be able to get away with it

any harness manufacturer that goes through the trouble of testing and getting certified is going to have labels right on the harness, or big advertising on the product description (and charge a premium since they paid for that certification)
Elliot Cannon
Get a 5 point. A four point is useless an in some cases dangerous.
Sneezy
I think they're more dangerous than a shoulder/lap belt unless you're wearing a Hans Device.
Marv's3.6six
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Feb 23 2013, 05:51 PM) *

Get a 5 point. A four point is useless an in some cases dangerous.

Am considering Schroth Rally which is DOT legal and has ASM (Anti Submarining) which I am told makes them safe(er)

But I started this thread because I was wondering if the PO PO would come down on a brutha for funky belts. idea.gif
strawman
I got pulled over by CHP in Monterey County on Route 1 about five years ago in my old MR2. He said he saw the factory shoulder belt wasn't hooked up and decided to pull me over. When I showed him I had my 4-pt harness on, he said it technically isn't DOT-approved and gave me a ticket. mad.gif
ArtechnikA
Yes, the Schroth is the only company that's bothered to get the full DOT certification. RoadGlue here got such a ticket, took his documentation with him to fight the ticket and won.

They're good belts too.

With the full 6-point attachment I expect they're still legal, and much safer.
Luke M
I know that here per the NYS V&TL it has to be what the manufacture originally installed at the factory. It will also fail the yearly NYS inspection if the OEM belts are removed. A aftermarket harness can be installed but the oem belts must stay in place and be used on the road.
I'm not sure how the CA inspection works or if you guys even have to get one?
I'm sure if CA is anything like NYS they will want the oem belts installed.
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(Luke M @ Feb 24 2013, 09:42 AM) *

California ia a lot like NYS - but not in this regard ;-)
No annual 'safety' inspections - just biennial emissions for some years.

Curious - if I'm having a pre-'62 inspected in NYS - do I have to take my belts out ?
Luke M
QUOTE(ArtechnikA @ Feb 24 2013, 07:54 AM) *

QUOTE(Luke M @ Feb 24 2013, 09:42 AM) *

California ia a lot like NYS - but not in this regard ;-)
No annual 'safety' inspections - just biennial emissions for some years.

Curious - if I'm having a pre-'62 inspected in NYS - do I have to take my belts out ?

" per the NYS V&TL it has to be what the manufacture originally installed at the factory " .

If no belts from the factory then you're ok but if there was it better be there.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.