Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Circlip Removal.....
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jim_hoyland
I have the glove box lock out for re-keying. The back of the lock has a circlip that retains the tumbler into the lock body.

Any tricks to removing this circlip, I don' have snap ring pliers. Is a trip to HF gonna be required ?

IPB Image
Mike Bellis
Is that not your picture? Sure looks like the right tool.

If not, go get the correct tool. Go to Sears and get a Craftsman. The HF tools are not hard enough to last long. The tips wear out.
walterolin
Here's a thread Jeffs9146 referred me to a while back:

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/gener...-prefer-207392/

The cheap sets are made out of crappy metal, and don't hold up. The good ones cost a bunch.
stugray
All FLAPS have the cheaper tool with the different jaws & tips (even Walmart)
They are cheap and dont hold up well, but will gt you through this snad the next few times you need circlip pliers.

Stu
McMark
Sometimes you can get lucky by inserting a flathead screwdriver and twisting.
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(McMark @ Feb 24 2013, 02:14 PM) *

smile.gif That did the trick smile.gif Gonna stop by Walmart next week and pick up a pair; probably on use them once a year...
aircooledtechguy
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Feb 24 2013, 02:31 PM) *

QUOTE(McMark @ Feb 24 2013, 02:14 PM) *

smile.gif That did the trick smile.gif Gonna stop by Walmart next week and pick up a pair; probably on use them once a year...

Getting it off is the easy part. That same screw driver will piss you off trying to get it back together. . . Get the right tool. Sears is your friend. . .
914Sixer
Jim,
You have the right tool. Remove the thumb screw and reverse the sides. It should work in the opposite direction. It will work in either direction.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.