Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Trans Output flange
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Black22
What would cause this?

Click to view attachment
ThePaintedMan
Bad (or wrong type) of CVs? Lack of lubrication meaning the cage and balls were locking in place against the flange, causing rubbing?
Mike Bellis
I've seen that damage after a CV failure. Should be OK to use.
mrbubblehead
It looks like the star has been banging into it. was the cir clip on it?
Black22
QUOTE(ThePaintedMan @ Feb 25 2013, 08:04 PM) *

Bad (or wrong type) of CVs? Lack of lubrication meaning the cage and balls were locking in place against the flange, causing rubbing?

The old ones were worn but all still intact. Full of lube.

QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Feb 25 2013, 08:31 PM) *

I've seen that damage after a CV failure. Should be OK to use.

Could have happened with the PO. I am using them now, but always wondered what could've caused it.

QUOTE(mrbubblehead @ Feb 25 2013, 08:35 PM) *

It looks like the star has been banging into it. was the cir clip on it?

Cir-clips were there, but once removed I couldn't get the cv's off due to the marred splines on the shaft. Got replacement shafts from Jeffs9146!!! Thanks again Jeff! first.gif

Just wondering if there was any way to avoid this or if it was normal wear. One cv did have a lot of extension compared to the others. I thought it was just worn out, but both flanges had similar signs of galling.
mrbubblehead
I have dozens of flanges here that have those same marks. I would not be afraid to use them. unless they were super bad like metal was actually gouged out.
ThePaintedMan
agree.gif

The flange seems okay, but I would ensure the CVs themselves aren't doing something weird. Again, maybe someone tried to install a different type of CV on the car that has the same splines but has a further range of motion than it should. I'm not sure thats possible, but while you have them out you could cross-reference between them to make sure they're the same.
charliew
More than likey this was from another phase in the cars life unless you found metal in the cavity.
McMark
When CVs wear, they can hyper extend in either direction. This is wear caused by running a dead CV for a long period of time. It's good to use.

Check your CV health by laying on the ground behind your car, reach up and grab the axle and use a sharp thrust to try and bang and axle against the transmission or against the wheel hub. If you hear it tap against something in either direction, your CVs are getting old. The easier (less force) it take to make this happen, the more worn out the CVs are.
Black22
QUOTE(McMark @ Feb 26 2013, 09:01 AM) *

When CVs wear, they can hyper extend in either direction. This is wear caused by running a dead CV for a long period of time. It's good to use.

Check your CV health by laying on the ground behind your car, reach up and grab the axle and use a sharp thrust to try and bang and axle against the transmission or against the wheel hub. If you hear it tap against something in either direction, your CVs are getting old. The easier (less force) it take to make this happen, the more worn out the CVs are.

Good info guys, thanks for your help.

McMark, that is a good test. I'll have to try that in a few thousand miles. I have PMB's modified CV's on there now with only 650 miles on them.

beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.