Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Retrofitting Air Conditioning
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ScoopLV

I searched the old posts.

1) Ed Gilmore's system is still "in development" on his web page. It's been in development for almost eight years now. I'm not holding my breath.

2) There appears to be exactly one "here's what you need" kit available, from a company in Georgia. Hefty price tag -- $2,700 to $3,100 for a system. That seems AWFULLY high to me. Has anyone installed this kit? Any comments about it?

3) There is, of course, the "inverter and small home AC" option. But that isn't for me. No thanks.

Are there other options? The old posts mention cobbled-together systems that resulted in blown belts, bent bolts, and major oil leaks. I don't want any of that.

bulitt
Heres a recent thread by Dlee6204

AC
pcar916
OT perhaps, but for those with sixes...

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-914...04-914-6-c.html

stugray
IPB Image

Put the AC in the front trunk and the generator in the rear.
DBCooper
Nice LED tail lights too. Sleek.
ScoopLV
So, I can pretty-much assume that nobody has purchased the $3,000 kit from you-know-who.

Like I said in my original post, $3,000 for an air conditioning kit seems way out of line to me. A Sanden compressor costs around $200. A condenser also costs around $200. The hardware and lines will cost around $100. So where is the other $2,500 going?

monkeyboy
Development for a highly limited market. Looks like a proprietary set of vents too.

You could probably do something close with a vintage air kit, and a pully kit for the old a/c systems
Joe Owensby
QUOTE(ScoopLV @ Mar 1 2013, 04:26 PM) *

So, I can pretty-much assume that nobody has purchased the $3,000 kit from you-know-who.

Like I said in my original post, $3,000 for an air conditioning kit seems way out of line to me. A Sanden compressor costs around $200. A condenser also costs around $200. The hardware and lines will cost around $100. So where is the other $2,500 going?

You left out a few things. Compressor mount, belt, pulley, evaparator, housing for compressor and fan, relay and wires, etc. Lots of stuff. Plus I would imagine you know who would want to make a few bucks on all this.. Maybe you could provide the kits a lot cheaper.

That said, i think i have a post from years ago describing a system i put in mine.
Southern ROds sells the parts you need except the pulley and compressor mount. They have a small evaporator that fits nicely. You have to make compressor mount, condensor mount and shroud, get lines made, etc. I think i ended up spending 800 or so for parts. I had an old mount. JoeO
3d914
QUOTE(ScoopLV @ Mar 1 2013, 02:07 AM) *

Are there other options? The old posts mention cobbled-together systems that resulted in blown belts, bent bolts, and major oil leaks. I don't want any of that.

Scoop, is this 4-yl or 6-cyl?
bandjoey
Oldairproducts.com sells hot rod a/c kits that look like original units.
http://www.oldairproducts.com/catalog/unde...age-p-4487.html

Also. Has anyone looked into using an electrical compressor? Boats and RV and Euro cars use them all day long.
dlee6204
$3K is indeed pricey for a kit however its not completely absurd. When I first put together my system, I spent maybe $500 but I already had the evaporator unit and the condenser and I did all my own fabrication to mount the compressor and made my own lines. To build a system from scratch out of all new parts would easily be more than $1K in parts alone. This of course doesn't take into account the work necessary to put a system together and then install it.

I've thought about putting together a complete kit however its quite a bit of work and there's quite a few variables to consider. For instance not everyone wants to cut a hole in their front trunk for a condenser or cut their engine shelf for the compressor. IIRC, with the AA kit you have to do both. As of right now there's not one best way to add A/C to a 914.

So there's not much out there for a "kit" but my thread can help you decide on some of the different variables when someone puts together their own system. If cost is a big factor, the easiest and cheapest way to add A/C will be to buy a used 914 A/C system and update some of the key components.

dlee6204

The electric compressor is not really a good idea. Electric compressors on hybrid vehicles run at a much high voltage so not only would you need the compressor, but you would also need a custom inverter setup and a big ass alternator. Even if you could find a 12V electric compressor, you're still going to need a big alternator.
ScoopLV
QUOTE(bandjoey @ Mar 1 2013, 07:12 PM) *

Oldairproducts.com sells hot rod a/c kits that look like original units.
http://www.oldairproducts.com/catalog/unde...age-p-4487.html

$400 plus incidentals sounds a whole lot better to me than $2.7K to 3.1K plus incidentals.

It's clear to me that this will not be "this years" project. I don't even have the engine back in yet. It just sucks because I only have three months until it gets way too damned hot to drive a car with no AC. And with the engine already out of the car, I was hoping there was a tried-and-true solution for those of us who live in the south and southwest.

If you're wondering, yes, I HATE Las Vegas.

PS -- 3d914, this is a 1974 914 1.8, basically bone stock.
bandjoey
I googled Hot Rod Air Conditioning and came up with multiple companies. Here's an aritcle from Hot Rod Magazine:

http://www.hotrod.com/howto/hrdp_0706_air_...ng/viewall.html

I see kits complete out there for $800-$1000.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.