Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: NEW HERE:)
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Tyler_TheMan_93
ok so i just bought a 1976 porsche 914 from my girlfriends dad and it hasnt been started since 1986. he said that he thinks the cylinder wall was messed up something. but anyway its been sitting since 86' and i would like to know what to do/check before i try to start it. i am new to the porsche world so i look forward to talking with all of you.

here are some pics: the interior is amazingly clean

Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment
tscrihfield
welcome.png

Looks nice!

Did he happen to say why he thinks that? What engine size?
tumamilhem
Very nice! Welcome to 914 World! I hope you enjoy your car as much as we do! I was very excited when I got my first 914 which was a real junk car. Now I'm on my third one in 10 years. smile.gif

FYI, my first one had an A/C unit in it. The A/C unit will reduce power in your car significantly. There's not much horsepower to begin with, so it does make a difference. They are a real pain in the ass to install and remove, so depending on where you are, if you don't really need it and want to sell it, I know JRust is looking for one for his V8 conversion. I would have happily given him mine if I still had it. They were not factory, but a dealer option. Because of the reduction in HP, they were not too common except in climates like mine (FL). But they are few and far between, so if you want to sell it, JRust will probably be interested in it. smile.gif

Welcome to the club!
Spoke
welcome.png

Nice ride.

To get it going, at least check the oil level, perhaps change if necessary. Once you get it running, definitely change the oil.

Check the condition of the gas. You will have to siphon some gas out of the tank to take a look at it. If varnished, you have to remove all the gas and clean the tank, maybe even redo all the hoses.

Overall inspection of the wiring and hoses in the engine compartment.

Check all the hoses in the engine compartment for dry rot.

Check/change the spark plugs.

Check/change the points.
Tyler_TheMan_93
QUOTE(tscrihfield @ Mar 2 2013, 12:42 PM) *

welcome.png

Looks nice!

Did he happen to say why he thinks that? What engine size?

thanks! its a 2.0 and he said that something went wrong with the piston and it hit the cylinder wall but then he said he fixed it. but then he said the last time he drove it he heard like a knock or tick when he got home. shut it off and hasnt been started since. i pretty much know nothing about these engines.lol
abnrdo
Nice!! welcome.png
Tyler_TheMan_93
QUOTE(abnrdo @ Mar 2 2013, 12:59 PM) *

Nice!! welcome.png

thanks!
Drums66
......Cool Man!.....Welcome!!
bye1.gif
jim_hoyland
welcome.png The rubber brake lines may have swelled internally. Can't tell from the inside, a common problem when these cars sit. You should consider replacing them.
JawjaPorsche
Welcome the madness! You have come to the right place!
r_towle
welcome.png

Get a compression tester from the local auto parts store.
Get one that uses a hose and screws into the plug hole.

Follow the directions and test each cylinder with the throttle body pinned wide open and the fuel pump unplugged (or the relay unplugged)

Get those numbers back to everyone here and you will get an answer on what to do next.

You will learn alot here, and may people have been in your shoes.

You will be an expert in less than a year...and we all welcome you.

rich
Tyler_TheMan_93
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Mar 2 2013, 03:55 PM) *

welcome.png The rubber brake lines may have swelled internally. Can't tell from the inside, a common problem when these cars sit. You should consider replacing them.

wow, awesome info thanks man, i will definitely look at that
Tyler_TheMan_93
QUOTE(r_towle @ Mar 2 2013, 04:39 PM) *

welcome.png

Get a compression tester from the local auto parts store.
Get one that uses a hose and screws into the plug hole.

Follow the directions and test each cylinder with the throttle body pinned wide open and the fuel pump unplugged (or the relay unplugged)

Get those numbers back to everyone here and you will get an answer on what to do next.

You will learn alot here, and may people have been in your shoes.

You will be an expert in less than a year...and we all welcome you.

rich

wow thank you man. ill get right on that compression test and post it up here aktion035.gif
Dave_Darling
Replace all the rubber fuel lines, including those under the gas tank. High-pressure fuel leaking (spraying) onto a hot engine is a recipe for fire. FIRE BAD!!!

Replace all the fluids; oil and gear oil, brake fluid, and very likely the fuel as well. (Does the fuel smell like fuel? If so, it may be fine.)

--DD
Tyler_TheMan_93
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Mar 2 2013, 05:08 PM) *

Replace all the rubber fuel lines, including those under the gas tank. High-pressure fuel leaking (spraying) onto a hot engine is a recipe for fire. FIRE BAD!!!

Replace all the fluids; oil and gear oil, brake fluid, and very likely the fuel as well. (Does the fuel smell like fuel? If so, it may be fine.)

--DD

thanks, ill be sure to do that as well. i havnt smelled the fuell yet but ill probaly get rid of it anyway
montoya 73 2.0
If your just trying to start it then worry about the fuel, fuel lines and your basic tuneup stuff. If you have basic mechanical skills your half way there. Im still learning as well and i have been into aircooled vw's since 1984 and 914's since 1988. Good luck and welcome.png
Socalandy
welcome.png
type47
reserve Apr 20th for a trip to Hershey PA to meet alot of other 914er's (maybe you'll decide to sell your new prize after the exposure biggrin.gif ) and buy alot of old rusty parts to fill up your garage 'cause "you'll need them someday..."
JawjaPorsche
Wanted: Girlfriend who has a father who wants to sell me a nice Porsche 914. Send picture of 914.

Why can't I be that lucky?!
rick 918-S
Lots of good info so far but let me add this. Any car that sat since 1986 will have stale gas. Do not try to start the car with stale gas. Drain it.

Take a flash light and look into the gas tank and check for rust. Rust will eventually cause some real issues with the filter and even the injectors. There is a way to de-rust the tank with Arm & Hammer washing soda and a battery charger. Google it. It works, I've done it.

Change all the fuel lines. The rubber set will have varnished fuel deposits and decomposing rubber that new fuel will loosen and wash into the filter and eventually the injection. Order the stainless line set for the tunnel from Chris Foley at Tangerine Racing. The plastic lines will also likely have started to decompose and crack. There have been many horror stories of car fires from failed lines. I have a car here that was a Cali car the burned from a split fuel line. Check the member vendor section.

Change the oil. Don't skip this. Change the oil and use some type of break in oil. Look for Brad Penn oil in your area. The replacement oil will actually help in cleaning out the condensation that forms from sitting.

As Rich stated run a compression check and post the results. It sounds like the car may have had a loose valve seat that caused damage to a cylinder. If the ticking came back it is likely the seat went un noticed during the cylinder repair. You'll know when you check the compression.

In review: Clean and repair the fuel system, change the oil, check the compression, report back. Wait to start fire it up until you know what the compression results are. If you have a loose valve seat you will want to repair it before firing it up and destroying the engine.

Lots to do to wake up a sleeping car. But that's the basics for the engine.

The brakes are the next step. welcome.png
Cairo94507
Welcome to the World. That is a vey nice car you got yourself there. Read a lot about waking these cars up from their hibernations and then be patient and systematic in your approach. Along the way you will learn a ton and have fun.

Of course, and sorry to the big ugly bumper (BUB) crowd, please look at early 914 bumpers and see if you prefer that look. It is a pretty easy conversion and really changes the looks of these cars and saves about 60 pounds off each end of the car.

welcome.png
niner
I would change the oil and filter using cheap oil first then I'd pull all the plugs and get a turkey baster and squirt about an ounce of Marvel Mystery oil into the plug holes. You can get it from Autozone, etc. Let it sit for a few minutes and then crank it over for 10 seconds with no plugs. Repeat a few times, put new plugs back in, drain and replace the gas if it has any left, and then try to get it running. Then I'd change the oil a second time. After it's fully warm and has been driven a couple of hundred miles check the compression and change the points, replace vacuum hose, check valve clearances, etc. Good luck!
74914LE
Welcome to the club! As I am currently in the middle of waking one up that sat since 1984, you will benefit from having a well thought out plan before you start
taking everything apart. Make a plan and stick with it, since you will be working
on most every system in the car.

All of the fluids will need to be replaced. Oil, Transmission Oil, Brake Fluid, Gas, and most Grease. All the plastic bushings and a much of the rubber will need to
be replaced. Since you will be replacing the fuel lines thru the tunnel, it will make
it easier to replace everything in the shifter. The Petal Bushings can all be replaced at that time with Bronze, and the Accelerator/Clutch Cable should be
checked out to make sure they are not brittle.

Brakes are going to be the #1 thing to get right, so pull the calipers and have Eric Shea on this site Restore them for you. The master cylinder should be replaced as well. Since the calipers will be off, you should check to see if the rotors can still be turned, it not replace them, as well as the wheel bearings. Since you will
be removing the engine to replace all the oil seals, it is a good idea to repack the
CV Joints at this time as well.

When you have the engine out to replace all the seals and gaskets, don't forget to do the same on the transmission. There are several plastic pieces in the clutch mechanism that need to be replaced, as well as a good idea to do a clutch job
at the same time.

One last thing, since you will have the fuel tank out to clean it and replace the lines under the tank, you need to verify that the Wiper Motor works. If not, you
will have to pull the tank all over again to replace the motor when it is time to get
the car inspected....ask me how I know this!

Best of luck, and welcome!
Tyler_TheMan_93
QUOTE(JawjaPorsche @ Mar 3 2013, 05:45 AM) *

Wanted: Girlfriend who has a father who wants to sell me a nice Porsche 914. Send picture of 914.

and he sold it to me for $1000
JawjaPorsche
QUOTE(Tyler_TheMan_93 @ Mar 3 2013, 01:21 PM) *

QUOTE(JawjaPorsche @ Mar 3 2013, 05:45 AM) *

and he sold it to me for $1000

Damn, you did good! biggrin.gif
rnellums
There are a few 914 guys in Indianapolis, I personally am up in Lafayette, but I have a bit of experience with these cars. Let me know if you run into trouble!
Tyler_TheMan_93
QUOTE(rnellums @ Mar 3 2013, 11:14 AM) *

There are a few 914 guys in Indianapolis, I personally am up in Lafayette, but I have a bit of experience with these cars. Let me know if you run into trouble!

oh thanks! i will definitely let you know!
underdog
newbie beware.do not rile up the one who's name implies the top part of a cow patty. (liquid center).
Gint
Nice score! welcome.png More pics!
Tyler_TheMan_93
QUOTE(Gint @ Mar 3 2013, 02:48 PM) *

Nice score! welcome.png More pics!

ill put up more pics next time i work on it! i get to keep it stored in my girlfriends heated garage smile.gif
malcolm2
Nobody suggested JACK STANDS, grinder or welder! Oh yeah, he has not even started yet! shades.gif
Tyler_TheMan_93
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Mar 3 2013, 05:50 AM) *

Lots of good info so far but let me add this. Any car that sat since 1986 will have stale gas. Do not try to start the car with stale gas. Drain it.

Take a flash light and look into the gas tank and check for rust. Rust will eventually cause some real issues with the filter and even the injectors. There is a way to de-rust the tank with Arm & Hammer washing soda and a battery charger. Google it. It works, I've done it.

Change all the fuel lines. The rubber set will have varnished fuel deposits and decomposing rubber that new fuel will loosen and wash into the filter and eventually the injection. Order the stainless line set for the tunnel from Chris Foley at Tangerine Racing. The plastic lines will also likely have started to decompose and crack. There have been many horror stories of car fires from failed lines. I have a car here that was a Cali car the burned from a split fuel line. Check the member vendor section.

Change the oil. Don't skip this. Change the oil and use some type of break in oil. Look for Brad Penn oil in your area. The replacement oil will actually help in cleaning out the condensation that forms from sitting.

As Rich stated run a compression check and post the results. It sounds like the car may have had a loose valve seat that caused damage to a cylinder. If the ticking came back it is likely the seat went un noticed during the cylinder repair. You'll know when you check the compression.

In review: Clean and repair the fuel system, change the oil, check the compression, report back. Wait to start fire it up until you know what the compression results are. If you have a loose valve seat you will want to repair it before firing it up and destroying the engine.

Lots to do to wake up a sleeping car. But that's the basics for the engine.

The brakes are the next step. welcome.png

Thank you thank you! i will do all of those before i start it.
ThePaintedMan
That is a really pretty car! Great find! welcome.png
carr914
QUOTE(rnellums @ Mar 3 2013, 02:14 PM) *

Organize a BBQ & Beer, you will find 914 Friends & Helpers to get your New Car on the Road

welcome.png
Tyler_TheMan_93
QUOTE(carr914 @ Mar 4 2013, 05:52 AM) *

QUOTE(rnellums @ Mar 3 2013, 02:14 PM) *

Organize a BBQ & Beer, you will find 914 Friends & Helpers to get your New Car on the Road

welcome.png

good idea!
r_towle
Post pics of the gf
hot_shoe914
Contact Brad Mauyer at 914LTD, he can check it out and fix it up for you and he is really close by.
SirAndy
QUOTE(r_towle @ Mar 4 2013, 05:29 PM) *

Post pics of the gf

You guys are getting old.

Post #36 until someone asks for pics of the girlfriend???
screwy.gif
Tyler_TheMan_93
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Mar 4 2013, 10:41 PM) *

QUOTE(r_towle @ Mar 4 2013, 05:29 PM) *

Post pics of the gf

Post #36 until someone asks for pics of the girlfriend???
screwy.gif

im not doing that.lol
Dave_Darling

Whadda you mean getting old? I'm already old and cranky! I don't care what the calendar says!

Grandpa Andy.

--DD
ScoopLV
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Mar 5 2013, 06:46 PM) *

Whadda you mean getting old? I'm already old and cranky! I don't care what the calendar says!

Tease me about my age and I will beat you with my cane.
jdlmodelt
Sweet! Welcome. I got ya beat! I got two 914's for $1500 and didn't have a girlfriend tied to the deal. Have a super fun time learning all the dieosyncrasies of the 914 and yet the amazing handling ability. What truly fun car to drive. Some of these dudes will try to steer you down a very expensive route. Don't jump right into that. Enjoy the ride and get some encouragement and satisfaction out of it first if you can without damaging anything. They are SO MUCH fun to drive.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.