Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Looking at car with NO heat exchangers.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
shawnshawn99
I'm looking to buy a 914. Seller has indicated there is only 1 heat exchanger and it is disconnected, because they 'only drive in summer'.

I hate cars without heat - even summer nights are chilly - and maybe I want to drive in the fall? But more importantly - doesn't the heat exchanger remove heat from the engine & help keep it cooler? (It's just our choice we sometimes redirect this heat into the cabin for comfort?).

I'm sure I had this problem on a Beetle years ago - it had no heater boxes, same story, 'I only drive it in the summer!' and then the Beetle kept overheating & blowing engines.

I would never buy a Beetle without heater boxes again - I don't know about heat exchangers (same thing?) on 914s. Don't know if its the same deal. Should I stay away from this car? I don't like overheating! Blown, warped engines & tow trucks make me grumpy.

Anybody out there regularly driving their 914 without HEs on hot days for long stretches?

A newbie to 914s, any help appreciated.
Rusty
Welcome to 914world!

No heat exchangers might make you chilly, but there shouldn't be a mechanical issue running without. Lots of cars run with headers only. The cooling ability of the car is ducting around the motor (especially the cylinder & heads) and the oil cooler. Properly functioning bellows and flaps do the work.

You didn't mention what year & engine model your 914 is. Heat exchangers & tin are specific to engine type because of the bends and stuff. Heat exchangers aren't too expensive... you see them pop up on the classifieds here from time to time. Most people eventually look for a stainless steel set.

To answer your last question: Yes, I've driven my 914-6 without heat exchangers for the last 6-7 years. I also drove my 74 for a year before I replaced the headers with HEs.
scotty b
the beetle engine blowing up had absolutely nothing to do with heat exchangers. It had some sort of exhaust,header, J tubes, stripped down factory exchangers etc. The outer shell "box" simply allows the heat to be transferred to another location ie. cabin heat. Having the boxes removed, means the heat just escapes to the atmosphere. Most race cars use a header system that has no " heater box "
shawnshawn99
QUOTE(Rusty @ Mar 3 2013, 03:56 PM) *

Welcome to 914world!

No heat exchangers might make you chilly, but there shouldn't be a mechanical issue running without. Lots of cars run with headers only. The cooling ability of the car is ducting around the motor (especially the cylinder & heads) and the oil cooler. Properly functioning bellows and flaps do the work.

You didn't mention what year & engine model your 914 is. Heat exchangers & tin are specific to engine type because of the bends and stuff. Heat exchangers aren't too expensive... you see them pop up on the classifieds here from time to time. Most people eventually look for a stainless steel set.

To answer your last question: Yes, I've driven my 914-6 without heat exchangers for the last 6-7 years. I also drove my 74 for a year before I replaced the headers with HEs.

Thanks everyone for the quick replies. The car is a 74 1.8.
naro914
914's have heat? Next thing your gonna say is that some even have A/C...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.