Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: External Oil Cooler
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dfelz
I have removed the fresh air box, all the controls, blowers and other tid bits, so the area under the cowl is going to be completely open. I dont want to cut up the front of the trunk, both behind the bumper and on the floor side, and also dont want to loose that storage space. So i was thinking I might be able to mount an external oil cooler under the vents in the middle of the cowl. would have fans sucking from the backside of the cooler and then go into an airbox that leads to two exit pipes for the air. the air pipes could then go through the stock air hose holes and either dump into the cabin or go all the way to the long tubes and dump out later. Could also just dump the air right there... but would be then flowing over the gas tank...
Would love to hear peoples opinions.... I made a solidworks CAD design of it and posted it in my project thread with a little more info but didnt many responses. so i figured opening a new thread for it would be beneficial. Just now i also drew on a schematic to a picture i took of the area for reference and is displayed below. Thanks in advance for the help, please post any questions, concerns, or advise. beerchug.gif

IPB Image
VaccaRabite
Not very much surface area and you dont get a lot of airflow there.
You car looks to be a dedicated racer. Could always mount an external cooler under the front bumper like the old time racers did...

Zach
Mike Bellis
Other than trying to make a complicated installation to brag about... Why not just put it above the tranny with a dedicated fan? confused24.gif It would be much easier to install and save you 25 feet of oil line...
MoveQik
David,

Mine is mounted under the rear trunk with a couple of fans and it works just fine even in our AZ heat. Like you, I didn't want to cut up the trunk.

Just a thought.

Wills
dfelz
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Mar 4 2013, 07:48 PM) *

Not very much surface area and you dont get a lot of airflow there.
You car looks to be a dedicated racer. Could always mount an external cooler under the front bumper like the old time racers did...

Zach

Thanks for the response Zach.
For the next few years though the car wont be on a track very much, if at all. So for now its just a fun weekend car with an essentially stock 1911cc motor. I would keep the stock cooler in tact and use a sandwich filter adapter to run the lines, so it will be a partial flow system.
Do you think if a small scoop was added it would increase the airflow to be directed down there a lot more? Still not a whole lot of surface area but the cooler itself isnt all that big.
I thought of the idea of just mounting it under the front bumper like you mentioned, but i think i would be worried about ground clearance... Would like to see some pictures of this setup though if anyone has any!

QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Mar 4 2013, 08:08 PM) *

Other than trying to make a complicated installation to brag about... Why not just put it above the tranny with a dedicated fan? confused24.gif It would be much easier to install and save you 25 feet of oil line...

Hey now, you've got me all wrong if you think i would make something for the purpose of bragging about it, I am just trying to think of viable alternatives, and sometimes its fun to try things that havent been toyed with much. I have seen many of the coolers on this site mounted near the transmission, like Zach's i believe, and realize its obviously a proven option. I just figured with it being so close to the exhaust, even with a heat shield, some of that engine/exhaust heat would be transfered to the lines and cooler. So i want to tinker with the idea of placing it elsewhere.

QUOTE(MoveQik @ Mar 4 2013, 08:14 PM) *

David,

Mine is mounted under the rear trunk with a couple of fans and it works just fine even in our AZ heat. Like you, I didn't want to cut up the trunk.

Just a thought.

Wills

Is yours a full flow system too? picture? have you had any problems with rocks or other shit being kicked up on it?

Great meeting you this weekend, your car looks great, even with your paint job that "needs" repainting, haha. biggrin.gif hope to see you at next years route 66!
mrbubblehead
mines mounted under the rear trunk also. but i like your thinking out of the box david. im just worried about your stock pump pumping all that way, and then back. or are you gonna use a big type 1 pump?
yeahmag
Stole this idea from another member:

Click to view attachment
dfelz
QUOTE(mrbubblehead @ Mar 4 2013, 08:44 PM) *

mines mounted under the rear trunk also. but i like your thinking out of the box david. im just worried about your stock pump pumping all that way, and then back. or are you gonna use a big type 1 pump?

Thanks Doug, just read your email too, I am bummed we didn't meet up at the show yesterday, i couldn't remember if you were going or not and for some reasone never texted you to find out!! headbang.gif on the way back i was just about to call you to see if you wanted to stop by my place since its on the way if you were taking the 10 fwy back, but right before i hit send i saw you split to the 91 on ramp in my rear view mirror, haha. next time.

But this has crossed my mind about pumping power to get it there and back... what do the guys that have it up front in the bumper?? I do realize also that the pump would have an extra load of head to overcome, since it has to go up as well...
mrbubblehead
i'll take pictures of my setup tomorrow iff you want. im a fan of the oil cooler in the rear. i would think a big type one pump would push it, as long as you use sweeping fittings and no real hard 90's like those brass plumbing fittings. maybe a 26-30mm pump? but im guessing. im not real sure what it takes to get the oil up there and back.you dont want to get any larger than necessary. it will just create heat, power loss and put a lot of stress on the pinion that slots in the cam gear which could possibly sheer of if you run thick oil on a cold morning. but thick oil sucks. your probly gonna run a 30wt anyways right?
mrbubblehead
hey david, will you pm me your phone number? i was gonna call you today but for some reason its not in my phone. i thought for sure i had it. confused24.gif
VaccaRabite
I have a Setrab 12 inch cooler under the rear trunk as well, with thermostat controlled fans. Dropped my oil temps from 240 to 200 on my 2056, even when climbing those long PA hills on hot humid days.
dfelz
QUOTE(mrbubblehead @ Mar 4 2013, 09:50 PM) *

i'll take pictures of my setup tomorrow iff you want. im a fan of the oil cooler in the rear. i would think a big type one pump would push it, as long as you use sweeping fittings and no real hard 90's like those brass plumbing fittings. maybe a 26-30mm pump? but im guessing. im not real sure what it takes to get the oil up there and back.you dont want to get any larger than necessary. it will just create heat, power loss and put a lot of stress on the pinion that slots in the cam gear which could possibly sheer of if you run thick oil on a cold morning. but thick oil sucks. your probly gonna run a 30wt anyways right?

Based on what i learned in my fluids class, i could calculate how much pumping power i would need... ill try and do that when i have some spare time this week just to get an estimate and compare it to what the stock pump is rated for (if i can find that).

QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Mar 4 2013, 10:45 PM) *

I have a Setrab 12 inch cooler under the rear trunk as well, with thermostat controlled fans. Dropped my oil temps from 240 to 200 on my 2056, even when climbing those long PA hills on hot humid days.

Are you running a full flow with the stock cooler removed?
VaccaRabite
Nope. Sandwich adapter between filter and the case. Street car, so no full flow.
dfelz
thats a lot of cooling power for a partial flow, thats awesome.
'73-914kid
I have a cast iron Melling pump that put out a lot of pressure, and a pretty significant increase in volume over the stock pump. I was throwing around the idea of running a small oil line -8 AN up to a small and flat oil cooler that would run on top of the fresh air duct. If I had an electric valve that opened or closed the lines that ran to the cooler, I could essentially make myself a heater, similar to some of the guys run their water-pumper heaters. My only issue is that I run extremely low oil temperatures even on the hottest of days running just a stock oil cooler and a deep sump pan. I fear that if I ran an external oil cooler as a heater, I'd never get any temperature into my oil...haha 80mph in 100 degree heat with my 2143 and my oil temps barely hit the 220 mark..

From the standpoint of running just an external oil cooler for the purpose of solely extra surface area of a cooler, Often a cooler underneath the trunk lid with a thermostatically controlled electric fan will take care of any oil cooling issues..
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(dfelz @ Mar 5 2013, 02:12 AM) *

thats a lot of cooling power for a partial flow, thats awesome.

Yep. It works really well.
If I were racing, I'd want it up front. But for a street car I'm good.
Zach
MoveQik
QUOTE(dfelz @ Mar 4 2013, 09:35 PM) *

QUOTE(MoveQik @ Mar 4 2013, 08:14 PM) *

David,

Just a thought.

Wills

Is yours a full flow system too? picture? have you had any problems with rocks or other shit being kicked up on it?

Great meeting you this weekend, your car looks great, even with your paint job that "needs" repainting, haha. biggrin.gif hope to see you at next years route 66!

In order...

Yes.
Pics tomorrow.
No problems. Well, my axle did come loose once as I was leaving a stoplight. It busted a fan but that was it. I was very lucky it didn't happen at speed. That said, they are safety wired now so I don't worry about it at all.

And ditto, great meeting you this weekend!
SLITS
I am seriously thinking about mounting one flat under the front trunk like the 911 A/C condenser. Yes, I have the rock screen and bump bar from the 911 setup.

Currently, mine is in the rear trunk, mounted over the starter with a fan. Normally runs about 210 ... saw 240 on a 107 day in the desert climbing hills.
Dave_Darling
Pics of my setup can be found somewhere in the following thread:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=189603

Mine is mounted under the trunk on the right-hand side. It is not optimal, but it works. I need to move it up so I can hang the fan underneath.

--DD

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.