Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: dipstick question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
FAT DANNY
hi all. i just started doing my own work (only easy stuff) on my '73 2L.
i just installed the alt belt, after i threw it trying to show off. i shifted into second instead of fourth. dry.gif

i checked my oil level while i was there and found that there are 3 marks on the dipstick. my level was at the lowest mark.

the lowest is a box with an x.
the middle is a hash mark about 1cm above the x.
the top is also a hash mark about 2cm above the x.

which is the full mark? my guess is the highest but i don't want to overfill it.
how many quarts fill a 2.0, including the filter?

i don't have a manual yet. sad.gif
Mike Bellis
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

biggrin.gif
FAT DANNY
sorry, stuck at work. i knew that was coming. he he he...
and yes, i drove it here that way. i'll try and sneak out and snap a pix.
TheCabinetmaker
Hmm, I think a pic is in order
FAT DANNY
here's a couple shots of the dipstick with all the marks. if you look closely at the top pix, you can see the oil level. it was checked cold and on level ground.

IPB Image

IPB Image

turk22
wow, I have a 73 2L and my dipstick looks nothing like that.

Mine is a half round rod with two marks on it.
Pics:

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Black22
QUOTE(turk22 @ Mar 8 2013, 06:17 PM) *

wow, I have a 73 2L and my dipstick looks nothing like that.

Mine is a half round rod with two marks on it.

agree.gif My 74 is the same.
FAT DANNY
thanks dude, yours is actually just like mine. it looks like someone scribed an x on my dipstick, between where your 2 lines are. they also added 3 more lines above that.

where does your oil level read when it's cold/full?

do you check it warm and running?
Dave_Darling
You don't check the four-cylinder cars while they're running.

Just the Sixes.

--DD
FAT DANNY
^^^thanks. i read several threads on that process but i just did not get it...makes sense now. when i kept reading about heat flaps i began to worry since i didn't see any.

what is the correct oil level in reference to the markings on my dipstick?

thx all.
dlkawashima
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
FAT DANNY
wow! that's the perfect answer! thank you so much!

thanks everyone for the help and taking the time to post the pics and info. aktion035.gif
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(FAT DANNY @ Mar 8 2013, 07:26 PM) *

^^^thanks. i read several threads on that process but i just did not get it...makes sense now. when i kept reading about heat flaps i began to worry since i didn't see any.

Just to make sure:
You have a 73 2.0 liter four-cylinder motor? If so, then you check the oil with the engine OFF. You also need the flaps that are inside the engine tin; they direct the air to where it is supposed to go--including through the oil cooler.

If you have a six-cylinder 911 engine, then you check the oil with the engine at idle. You also don't have thermostatically-operated flaps.

--DD
FAT DANNY
thanks dave.
it is a 73 2.0 liter. the car runs great until it gets hot (about 30 minutes.) it also becomes gutless above 3000 rpms. the last time i shut it off, it ran on for a few seconds. initially i thought it was not advancing, or low on oil.
now i know it's not low on oil, so i'll check the timing and definitely the flaps (when i find them.)

i will be purchasing a manual soon. this is my "daily" driver, but i only drive between 1000-1500 miles per year.
montoya 73 2.0
Do you have a owners manual? If not you can look here;

My blog...73 2.0 Owners manual...
FAT DANNY
^^^not yet. thank you for the pix/info. the pics make everything look easy. it's way different when i'm looking at the actual car...it just seems different in real life. the pix will definitely help with checking my distributor and identifying parts.

this is awesome reading material while i'm at work. biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.