Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How to cut up a parts car
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
trojanhorsepower
Hi All,
I have a parts car that I am about ready to cut up. I did a search and could not find any recommendation on a best way. If you know of other threads please link them. I need some of the parts, but not all. My goal is to get the stuff I need while preserving as many of the other parts as I can. I have access to a plasma cutter and sawzalls.

What do you think?

Thanks

P.S.: No I will not keep the car together.

JamesM
Around here I get guys comming by all the time looking for scrap metal. Last tub i had I gave to one of them and let them deal with cutting it up.

A lot less effort that way.
Dave_Darling
We would draw on the panels with a paint pen, including the name of the person who wanted that panel. Then we'd have at it with Sawz-All and plasma cutter, and maybe a cutoff wheel in a couple of spots.

No special technique that I remember, just be safe and have fun chopping!

--DD
messix
it's called a sawzall party!

cutting torch.

big abbrasive cutoff saws.
914Sixer
I like a large (1 hp) sawzall. I use the demolition blades that the fire/ems use to cut people out of cars. Goes through cars like they are butter. Get the 25 pack.
trojanhorsepower
Great info guys, thanks.

I wonder if there is any interest in a sawzall party way out here in NC?
914outlaw
QUOTE(trojanhorsepower @ Mar 6 2013, 05:31 PM) *

Hi All,
I have a parts car that I am about ready to cut up. I did a search and could not find any recommendation on a best way. If you know of other threads please link them. I need some of the parts, but not all. My goal is to get the stuff I need while preserving as many of the other parts as I can. I have access to a plasma cutter and sawzalls.

What do you think?

Thanks

P.S.: No I will not keep the car together.

Are you selling any of the panels or salvageable parts? If so post some pictures of the car.
dlee6204
Great info guys, thanks.

I wonder if there is any interest in a sawzall party way out here in NC?

I might be up for a trip out there depending on when you do it. I could use a partial front clip if you aren't going to use it...
somd914
Not to hijack your thread, but I've been looking for floor/firewall section in the pedal area. As previously asked, are you looking to sell panels? sawzall-smiley.gif
THE STIG
Cut in two across the center, easy cut, with some resistance at the tunnel. Makes it much easier to start the rest of the cuts, as you can move the sections around much easier...I have done several. After I get the sections small enough to lift alone, I load them on my trailer and take them to the local scrap yard, you'll get around $100.00 for the tin/steel. I do this after I take usable parts from the car. It used to be kinda fun...you will go through several sawzall blades.

THE STIG
chrispy
My son and I used a spliting maul. I'm sure it wasn"t the safest way, but it sure added to the fun! After we cut it in half, we switched to a sazall.
Chris H.
In the rust belt it depends entirely on what panels are still good. You can get a nice return if you post pics in the classifieds showing the condition and people can tell you what they need (plenty of interest already!). It also preserves every last bit of the donor.

As for the tool, Sawzall and a LOT of blades is what I use. Wear eye protection and good leather gloves.
shuie
Don't cut too much of it before you have requests for parts. You never know what people need. As an example, I need a complete DS wheel well, front latch panel, part of the front suspension pan, and a cowl. It would be nice to find all of this stuff together from the same car, but can't seem to do it because everyone cuts through the wheel well to get the fender off, etc.. The center tunnel is not an easy part to find either so I wouldnt want to cut it in half.
trojanhorsepower
Thanks for all the interest!

Yes I would like to sell what I don't need. I will start a new thread with pictures when I have a schedule. People who show up to help get first choice and steep discounts (100%).

I have to figure out what parts I need and when to cut.

Doug, I would really appreciate it if you could come out. Let me know what dates work best for you and I am sure I can work around one of them.
Steve, I have the windshield set aside (figuratively of coarse) for you.
KELTY360
QUOTE(chrispy @ Mar 6 2013, 09:56 PM) *

My son and I used a spliting maul.

av-943.gif I'd have paid to see that! Any pictures?

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
poorsche914
QUOTE(trojanhorsepower @ Mar 7 2013, 05:47 PM) *
Steve, I have the windshield set aside (figuratively of coarse) for you.

Thank you aktion035.gif
URY914
Click to view attachment
URY914
Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.