Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Security lug nut removal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
motorvated
Any way other than cutting it off?
gms
QUOTE(motorvated @ Mar 10 2013, 02:19 PM) *

Any way other than cutting it off?

Some of them you can drill out with out destroying the stub, a picture would help
jeeperjohn56
I have used a deep size socket that will go over the key end and pounded it on with a hammer and used a inpack gun to take it off. John
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(jeeperjohn56 @ Mar 10 2013, 12:56 PM) *

I have used a deep size socket that will go over the key end and pounded it on with a hammer and used a inpack gun to take it off. John

agree.gif

You could also take it to your local tire shops. They have ways of removing these things...
Mike Bellis
Oh yah,,,

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
442nd914s
Harbor Frieght sells a security bit set with every security bit kniwn to man for $20. Just a thought. Also try a good set of vise grip pliers around the screw head.
bulitt
Chisel and a hammer. Tip of chisel on outer edge and beat it counter clockwise
toolguy
I agree with pound on a socket. . done it before. . you will probably destroy the socket but it's the fastest, easiest way.
I used a thick wall impact socket. . I found thin wall cheap sockets will usually split when you pound them on
Cupomeat
Just take it to a shop, they have all the keys and you won't screw around with hurting it.
euro911
These are nice, but this set only goes up to 14mm. You can check to see if they make them for larger bolts confused24.gif

Click to view attachment
racerbvd
Sears also sells a reverse threaded socket for removing stripped & odd shaped bolts, I used one to remove a broken locking lug on the Carrera..
somd914
I've been down this road - tried the local shops, all had destructive methods and wanted $20+ plus drop the car off or wait - take a book... Bought a cheap $6 socket, pounded it on, lug came right off, was able to remove the lug from the socket which survived.

After this I tossed all my security lugs - they are certainly easily defeated and were a hassle with wheel removal.
balljoint
agree.gif

Pound on a socket. Impact wrench to remove. BTDT x 2 due to cracked security lug nuts. The other 2 went in the trash. Sockets were fine.

Jon H.
I agree with the hammer and chisel method. I've had to do I this way several times and it worked fine.
get off my lawn
QUOTE(jeeperjohn56 @ Mar 10 2013, 01:56 PM) *

This, pound a socket onto it and use a breaker bar. It'll prolly trash the socket but should work. I've done it a few times over the years.
FourBlades

Local Porsche dealer took mine off in 2 minutes for free using a master set.

Of course, I have spent $$,$$$ on maintenance for my 911 with them.

I gave them all 4 keyed ones in exchange for non-keyed and they were happy.

John
PlaysWithCars
Another vote for a cheap socket and a BFH.
carr914
QUOTE(FourBlades @ Mar 12 2013, 09:14 PM) *

Local Porsche dealer took mine off in 2 minutes for free using a master set.

Of course, I have spent $$,$$$ on maintenance for my 911 with them.

I gave them all 4 keyed ones in exchange for non-keyed and they were happy.

John

agree.gif

At the Dealership I worked at we did this a lot, but go to the Parts Dept, not the Service Drive. After it's done Tip the Dude that did it!

Also Sears sells a kit to remove any Security Lug

When Completed throw the Security Lugs away - thieves have the Tools and if they want your wheels, will take them!
motorvated
First socket I tried fit right on and lug came right off. You guys are great!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.