Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Restoration Design
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Gint
I got an email from Bill at Restoration Designs. Great information and pictures of the RD overlays. He read my original thread asking for installed pics but couldn't get the pics posted here so I wanted to post them. My body work guy uses RD and has nothing but great things to say about their product. I've heard the same thing from others as well. RD's parts will find a place in my project and I will post pics in my \"rust\"oration thread when the work is performed.

RD Web Site

Mike,
The guy restoring this car replaced the upper and lower wheel house
panels P330 & P331 and the inner rocker panels P301L/R before installing the frame stiffening kit P346L/R.  The original parts in these areas were stamped out of 18 gage steel .046 thick so when you add the kit which is also .046 you are then at .092 thick which is thicker than 16 gage steel which is .065 thick and as you know 16 gage is really not sheet metal but thin metal plate.  I think the frame kit is a cleaner more elegant way to go about this type of modification because the car still looks original, and the kit does not interfere with reinstalling the step plates and outer rocker panels.

Thanks,
Bill
www.restoration-design.com
Lawrence
Mike,

I resized your pictures.
Lawrence
and again...
Lawrence
last one...
Gint
Hey thanks. I was too lazy to do it. I much prefer them this way.

Call me at the house? I have a couple of questions.
Jeff Krieger
Great pictures - thanks for posting them. Does Restoration Design have similar pictures for the repair of the typical engine compartment rust areas (engine tray, firewall, right-side upper and lower wheel house)?
TimT
Bill at restoration design is a great guy, really helpful, and seems genuinely interested in resurrecting our cars.

I bought all the repair pieces for my 911 from him...

I almost wish I had another basket case to restore rolleyes.gif
Gint
Great pictures - thanks for posting them. Does Restoration Design have similar pictures for the repair of the typical engine compartment rust areas (engine tray, firewall, right-side upper and lower wheel house)?

I can't say. Maybe Bill will see this and reply.

I bought all the repair pieces for my 911 from him...

I almost wish I had another basket case to restore

HA! HAHA! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!! Sorry I can't stop laughin at that one. I literally laughed out loud! Now where's that grinder....
914werke
Awsome Pics! This is good info as I ripped into my project car and found that due to AIR having been installed, all the sill supports on the passenger side and the triangular support at the front had been removed. Also the OEM jack plate (w/ "drain hole") while seemingly intact was VERY rusty on the inside (hit it with an hammer and watch the rust pour out) These supports seem to be the answer. clap56.gif
But it looks like you have to replace the sill as well?
Gint
But it looks like you have to replace the sill as well?

Yup. The outer long shell must be intact and in good shape. These overlays are more of a "stiffener" but yet they retain the stock appearance. But RD sells the outer panel replacements as well.
TimT
check out my 911 rustoration project...

all the stuff was sourced from Bill at restoration design..

here are some pics

I really am looking for another basket case to resurrect... I see a 356 in my future.
Brad Roberts
I like it. clap56.gif

I see a order being placed... I have spoken to Bill on AOL IM in the past.. he sponsors some race cars.

B
Gint
check out my 911 rustoration project...

Nice pics of the project work Tim. Thanks for the link.
Mike Wofford
Just got off the phone with Bill (Still in his shop at almost 9:00 pm) Hell of a nice guy. Was all set to buy the frame stiffener from him, let him know what I had planned on doing and he ended up talking me out of buying this item and walked me through how he would do the fix (rust hole approx. 2"x 3" to the left of the jack receiver plate) You don't find alot of people in the business world that will take the time and give you this type of info without wanting you to buy something.
Brad Roberts
I know several of them ...

B <<< gives away a whole bunch of information....
Mike Wofford
Brad,

you are right, I signed up for this board because of the quality of the people and the great advice.

thanks
Mike beerchug.gif
Maine914
Do you have the email address of Bill at Restoration Designs? I just made a frightening discovery in my car, and would like to send him a pic to get his thoughts as to what I need.
thanks
Bleyseng
Post it here so we can see and maybe we can advise you, some of us here are pretty good welders.
Geoff
fuch toy
QUOTE(Mike Wofford @ May 19 2003, 10:59 PM)
Brad,

you are right, I signed up for this board because of the quality of the people and the great advice.

thanks
Mike beerchug.gif

What....you come here ONLY for that? The interaction is fun too....

BTW....

http://www.restoration-design.com/
2teeners
OK, guys, how bout a little advice on which way to go on this car. Should I put the overlays on both sides, or just replace the right side longitudinal and jack points which are available from Rest. Design.

Right side Front -
2teeners
Right side rear
2teeners
Left side
2teeners
left side jack point
applescotty
I'm curious about the 'frame jig' that is in the pics from RD. Has anyone else used something like this? Where is it attached?
applescotty
bump boldblue.gif
fuch toy
Replacing the longitudinals is a B I G job....I would attempt a clean up, POR 15 it and replace the jack points......it looks like that's all that is bad.

It depends on how bad the inside is.....
Gint
2teeners:

Replacing the longitudinals is a B I G job....I would attempt a clean up, POR 15 it and replace the jack points......it looks like that's all that is bad.

It depends on how bad the inside is.....

I would agree with Z, IF the inside is OK and you don't want to invest your life savings in the car.

applescotty:
I'm curious about the 'frame jig' that is in the pics from RD. Has anyone else used something like this? Where is it attached

Stay tuned to my \"rusto\" thread. My body work guy is going to jig the car when he cits off the quarter. I'll get some pics for sure.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.