Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Vellios Side Shift 915 conversion kit
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
naro914
I bought a shorter geared, limited slip, 915 trans with a Vellios side shift conversion. Owner of the shop I bought it from I trust implicitly, and he said it was the best conversion out there - better than WEVO because it makes it a side shift instead of converting tail shift to use in a 914. The customer that had it ran it in his race 914 and loved it.

Anyone here know anything about the conversion kit? Do I need to change the shifter? I currently have a Rennshift for my current 901...

Thanks for any comments.
Steve
QUOTE(naro914 @ Mar 24 2013, 08:45 PM) *

I bought a shorter geared, limited slip, 915 trans with a Vellios side shift conversion. Owner of the shop I bought it from I trust implicitly, and he said it was the best conversion out there - better than WEVO because it makes it a side shift instead of converting tail shift to use in a 914. The customer that had it ran it in his race 914 and loved it.

Anyone here know anything about the conversion kit? Do I need to change the shifter? I currently have a Rennshift for my current 901...

Thanks for any comments.

You need to convert the rennshift, to a 915 shifter. I am also converting to a side shift 915. Jwest sold me the parts to convert mine.
The pedals should also match the 915 that you are using. You will probably also have to adapt the axle flanges. Do a search on 916 for more information.
carr914
As I remember the WEVO was a much improved Version of the Velios and that both do exactly the same shift mechanism.
RON S.

Bob,

I've been running a Vellios unit on my 3.6l/915 trans combo for years.

Basically because back in 2000, when I began the conversion, that was all that was available.

I've put about 3k miles on the car since, so heres what I can tell you what to expect.
To me, the shift quality is really Vague. Meaning I have to know WHERE the gear is as I begin to shift from one gear to the next. It's easy to miss third if I wasn't sure where it was. Downshift is the same. Easy to miss 4th coming out of 5th.

In my case, and my case only, driving around town and highways is ok, but I'd be concerned about track events. I've driven my car enough to learn the quirks of the Vellios unit. It will take some adjustment to set it up before the trans goes back in the car.
Don't expect an OEM shift quality from the Vellios, but it is acceptable.
I currently run a JWest shifter, and the shift rod is nothing more than a 5/8'' dia. tube w/a Apex joint on one end. No big deal there.

I recently purchased and have received Martin Bott's 916 kit. I'll install it in my 915 box later this summer, and the Vellios will be put up for sale.
I'm hoping that the 916 kit will give me the OEM shift feel that the Vellios lacks.
naro914
Thank for the info
So Steve, when you say "convert" the Rennshift, I assume you mean to the normal H pattern shifting instead of the 'dogleg' H we have in our 901?

that's actually been a question i've wondered: will the shift pattern be as in a normal 915 where 3rd and 4th are on the same plane? if so, that would be a huge help since most tracks I run are 3 & 4 gears most times (5th here and there, but mostly 3-4). Shifting on the same plane is always easier.

Ron, I laughed when you said 'don't expect OEM shift quality' because I've always thought OEM sucked.
naro914
QUOTE(carr914 @ Mar 25 2013, 12:55 AM) *

As I remember the WEVO was a much improved Version of the Velios and that both do exactly the same shift mechanism.

TC, the WEVO still makes the 915 be a tail shifter, the Vellios converts it to a side shifter. I can't comment on the quality of the shifting between the Vellios and WEVO, though I would guess WEVO's is pretty good since most WEVO stuff is good. I just can't afford the $2k just for the kit...
GeorgeRud
I've also had a Vellios 915 in my conversion for many years, and have no complaints about the shifting for my street use. I don't run the car on the track anymore, so I can't comment on that. Like Ron, I did the conversion years ago when it was the only choice out there.

I'm sure the WEVO unit is great, and the new one from Germany will be great as well. All it takes is $$$!
pcar916
These are questions I've asked as well. But here's what I don't know and what I do.

The Vellios replaces the tailshift cone with another and the shift-fork piece with a sideshift console like the later sideshift 914 transaxles and the 916 bits. The Wevo replaces the tailcone with their own. It's still a tailshifter but the tailpiece is modified to be actuated with "normal" 914 shift rod style that come through the firewall, excepting the shifter difference itself. If 5th/reverse is on the dogleg after that conversion I don't know, but assumed it was... for no good reason 'cept I never asked! My thinking is that, assuming I already have a 915 that shifts well, I'd rather rig a well executed cable-shift unit. But the simplicity of the side-shifter is tempting.

The European dude that's making sideshift kits now (I believe at least one thread is in either this forum or in the vendors section) has what I THINK I see as a much better kit that's like the Vellios but machined to closer tolerances. But it's pricey as well. Very pricey in fact, but well done.

I'm gonna go for a cable because I'm seriously considering an inverted 915 so it's an easier solution.

Good luck!
RON S.

Bob,

Commenting on the planes, the Shift pattern as it is now with the JWest shifter is a normal 5 speed pattern like any other car on the road.

Also, with the Vellios unit, the 4-3 down shift is easy to miss. You could easily slide that thing into 1st w/out noticing. It's that easy. I've learned to teach myself to eeeeease out the clutch when doing the 4-3. Let's me know if I hit 3rd or 1st by mistake.

Also, by OEM I'm referring to a modern standard. The Vellios unit just feels loose all the time. It take getting used to, to be fluid with the unit.

Ron
naro914
QUOTE(RON S. @ Mar 25 2013, 02:04 PM) *

Also, with the Vellios unit, the 4-3 down shift is easy to miss. You could easily slide that thing into 1st w/out noticing. It's that easy. I've learned to teach myself to eeeeease out the clutch when doing the 4-3. Let's me know if I hit 3rd or 1st by mistake.

That really surprises me since 4-3 would be a simple shift up on the same plane. 4-3 in a normal 901 shift pattern can pretty easily go to 4-1...ask me how I know/....
ChrisFoley
The correct Rennshift for both Vellios and WEVO 915 setups is the early 914 (or 911), which reverses the left-right motion. A Rennshift with either kit makes it pretty hard to make the wrong downshift.
The Vellios is sort of a poor man's 916 conversion kit, but looks more like a standard 914 sideshift.
The real thing, like Martin's kit, has a support at the top of the rod going up into the trans from the console, which adds precision to the overall motion.
Bob, when you're ready to sell the used Vellios, I'm interested. smile.gif
I'm not a fan of the WEVO kit.
RON S.
QUOTE(naro914 @ Mar 25 2013, 11:29 AM) *

QUOTE(RON S. @ Mar 25 2013, 02:04 PM) *

That really surprises me since 4-3 would be a simple shift up on the same plane. 4-3 in a normal 901 shift pattern can pretty easily go to 4-1...ask me how I know/....

Bob,

The whole shift ''Feel'' could just be me. It just isn't precise to me. It's as if 3rd is direct above 4th on an upshift. no Problems. On a downshift though, from 4-3 it's as if 3rd is a little offset from straight above 4th. Hard to describe. If you ever wanna take a drive, come on down and you can feel it for yourself.. You're close enough for a Saturday afternoon trip...
pcar916
If yours is like mine the H is tilted just slightly to the left at the top. More like \\ instead of ||. Its' not much, but it's there! I've wondered but not tested the difference between the shift rod coupler bushings with the round holes vs the oblong holes. That might make the difference.

Good thread.
GeorgeRud
I think the Vellios unit just needed a bit more "tweaking" in setting it up. He had the right ideas on how to put it together, and perhaps the tolerances just weren't quite exactly the same from kit to kit.
Steve
QUOTE(naro914 @ Mar 25 2013, 05:13 AM) *

Thank for the info
So Steve, when you say "convert" the Rennshift, I assume you mean to the normal H pattern shifting instead of the 'dogleg' H we have in our 901?

that's actually been a question i've wondered: will the shift pattern be as in a normal 915 where 3rd and 4th are on the same plane? if so, that would be a huge help since most tracks I run are 3 & 4 gears most times (5th here and there, but mostly 3-4). Shifting on the same plane is always easier.

Ron, I laughed when you said 'don't expect OEM shift quality' because I've always thought OEM sucked.

Correct.. I need to look again at what he sent me, but I think the 915 parts has a ball to reverse the pattern, with 5th and reverse to the right.
For the shifter shift rod, i bought Patrick motor sports shift rod and firewall bearing. I will still need to make a shift rod from the firewall to the trans.
RON S.
QUOTE(pcar916 @ Mar 25 2013, 12:55 PM) *

If yours is like mine the H is tilted just slightly to the left at the top. More like \\ instead of ||. Its' not much, but it's there! I've wondered but not tested the difference between the shift rod coupler bushings with the round holes vs the oblong holes. That might make the difference.

Good thread.

That's a good description. agree.gif

A slight tilt to the H pattern.. 1st to 2nd is a good shift. But 2nd to 3rd w/mine is more like, lever out of 2nd, then up to rest on 3rd but not shoved fully to engage, slight back off, then a second hit to 3rd and it'll go right in every time. I can repeat this move in a split second, since I've done it so much. 3rd to 4th. easy shift, 4th to 5th easy shift.
Coming back down though, I have to remember where every gear insertion point is.
pcar916
Except that I don't have any trouble at all downshifting. Mine had the "tilted" H even with the 914 shifter, but it's still there after converting to a reversed 915 shift tower too. The important thing is that I don't remember if the current bushings are oblong or not and apparently that didn't get written down. Not typical but true this time. Dang. But the point is that it didn't matter which shifter I used the pattern didn't change. My shifter rod-mechanism doesn't have much play at all, all bushings are very tight as are the transaxle internals. Oh crap... OT aren't we?
Jetsetsurfshop
Let me revive this old topic.

What shifter works in this application?
I have what Bob did in his race car. Do I just install a pre 1986 911 shifter?
When I move the shifter to the left the shift rod rotates counter clockwise. From what I can tell it need to rotate clockwise.
Thanks in advance for the help.

Steve
QUOTE(Jetsetsurfshop @ Sep 18 2022, 08:44 AM) *

When I move the shifter to the left the shift rod rotates counter clockwise. From what I can tell it need to rotate clockwise.

Correct.. any 72-86 911 shifter or after market shifter for a 915 gear box.
I’m running a 915 rennshift with my 86 915 gear box.
Jetsetsurfshop
QUOTE(Steve @ Sep 18 2022, 10:54 AM) *

QUOTE(Jetsetsurfshop @ Sep 18 2022, 08:44 AM) *

Correct.. any 72-86 911 shifter or after market shifter for a 915 gear box.
I’m running a 915 rennshift with my 86 915 gear box.

Sweet, thanks.

driving.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.