Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A few questions after more teardown
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
stateofidleness
Gents,
Starting to get to the rust repair stages and getting more "intimate" with the engine compartment and removal of fuel line stuff. I took a lot of pictures and have some questions you experienced guys may be able to help me with.

1) I noticed this "bracket" thing that the clutch cable runs through at the firewall. it does NOT appear to be stock as it looks like a washer welded to a piece of metal bent to the correct contour. It's then screwed in to through the floor. What the hell is this? Should I remove it or leave it alone?

Click to view attachment

2) Pulled the tank and was REALLY happy with how clean it was underneath. Noticed these markings on the tank and was just curious is a) these are factory markings and b) if not factory, does it mean my tank is not original to the car? My car is a '73 and the marking says '72.

Click to view attachment

3) Anyone know a part number for the black part in this picture, or know where to order a replacement? I've never seen one before.. ever! It was on top of the gas tank and the metal straps went through it. I imagine someone broke it while strapping the tank in at some point.

Click to view attachment

4) Last question cheer.gif
Does this fuel pump bracket look "right"? It's tucked up under the hell hole side engine shelf right next to the factory fuel filter mount. Something just doesn't look right to me with it like it was added by a PO or something. How hard is it to relocate the pump to the front? Any benefit in doing this or leave it where it is?

Click to view attachment
Shindog1961
the broken black piece is called a bridge. The part number is 914 201 305 10. Fuel pump bracket is added. I had to change mine after it corroded so badly I could barely get it off. Lot s of people move the fuel pump to under the gas tank, to prevent the vapor lock 914's are prone to. Hope this is helpful.
dlee6204
1) Thats a poor repair of a clutch tube failure. It's fairly common but it should be addressed correctly. Lots of info on this site about the fix.

2) I don't think those markings are factory specially since Porsche isn't spelled right. It's probably a replacement tank that was swapped out.

3) I should have a spare black part that you can have for shipping.

4) non stock mount. I'm guessing due to rust? The rubber isolators should simply bolt to the underside of the engine shelf.
BritCarJim
The later cars...like my '75...have the fuel pump factory mounted up front...you could research the placement location and bracket and convert to that setup. It would be an upgrade.
injunmort
my 72 had the same clutch tube repair only the washer was just notched not welded on. it worked okay, but the car is now having its rust issues dealt with and that will be repaired properly.
Jeff Hail
QUOTE(stateofidleness @ Mar 26 2013, 10:20 PM) *

Gents,
Starting to get to the rust repair stages and getting more "intimate" with the engine compartment and removal of fuel line stuff. I took a lot of pictures and have some questions you experienced guys may be able to help me with.

1) I noticed this "bracket" thing that the clutch cable runs through at the firewall. it does NOT appear to be stock as it looks like a washer welded to a piece of metal bent to the correct contour. It's then screwed in to through the floor. What the hell is this? Should I remove it or leave it alone?

Click to view attachment

2) Pulled the tank and was REALLY happy with how clean it was underneath. Noticed these markings on the tank and was just curious is a) these are factory markings and b) if not factory, does it mean my tank is not original to the car? My car is a '73 and the marking says '72.

Click to view attachment

3) Anyone know a part number for the black part in this picture, or know where to order a replacement? I've never seen one before.. ever! It was on top of the gas tank and the metal straps went through it. I imagine someone broke it while strapping the tank in at some point.

Click to view attachment

4) Last question cheer.gif
Does this fuel pump bracket look "right"? It's tucked up under the hell hole side engine shelf right next to the factory fuel filter mount. Something just doesn't look right to me with it like it was added by a PO or something. How hard is it to relocate the pump to the front? Any benefit in doing this or leave it where it is?

Click to view attachment

What is that... half a gate hinge used to brace the clutch tube?

Lets see... so far we have seen bed frame rail, plumbers tape, shelving angle iron, scrap metal, washers, stacks of washers, I saw a quarter with a hole drilled in it and brazed on, JB weld that broke, a piece of a hole saw blade tacked in over the clutch tube etc, etc.

Don't feel down. We have seen creative inovation attempts at its best and worst. Its a pretty regular thing around here. welder.gif
JeffBowlsby
Is this area a hole into the topside of the engine tin? It should be solid sheet metal here. It should look like the bottom photo.
scotty b
Typical junk yard markings on the gas tank.

No that hole should not be there.
ThePaintedMan
QUOTE(Jeff Hail @ Mar 27 2013, 08:19 PM) *

What is that... half a gate hinge used to brace the clutch tube?

Lets see... so far we have seen bed frame rail, plumbers tape, shelving angle iron, scrap metal, washers, stacks of washers, I saw a quarter with a hole drilled in it and brazed on, JB weld that broke, a piece of a hole saw blade tacked in over the clutch tube etc, etc.

Don't feel down. We have seen creative inovation attempts at its best and worst. Its a pretty regular thing around here. welder.gif

I still wonder why 914s and VWs get butchered so bad with makeshift parts. But I assume its because most stuff isn't available at the FLAPS, so previous owners become rednecks whether they actually are or aren't. confused24.gif
jdlmodelt
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Mar 27 2013, 06:28 PM) *

Is this area a hole into the topside of the engine tin? It should be solid sheet metal here. It should look like the bottom photo.

That's a hole into another dimension! haha!
stateofidleness
Yeppers.. it's a big one! the top of the long is solid, but that "vertical" piece from the top of the long to the engine shelf is pretty much gone..

Click to view attachment

Jeff, do you have that picture in a higher res (larger version)? Would love to save it as a reference pic.
rick 918-S
Page 3 of this post shows a removal of a hack repair and fix of a clutch tube on Sandy's Ravenna car.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...04128&st=40

OU8AVW
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Mar 28 2013, 05:41 AM) *

Page 3 of this post shows a removal of a hack repair and fix of a clutch tube on Sandy's Ravenna car.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...04128&st=40

That's a nice thread but no overly helpful to those of us with larger holes in the clutch tube area. Mine's much worse off and fixed with a large plate screwed to the bulkhead. Just so happens I was messing with this yesterday as I tried to install a set of SS fuel lines from Tangerine.
OU8AVW
Classic Thread

'Nuther good 'un
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.