Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The 914 world of the 70s and 80s.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
FourBlades

OK, so I don't have much 1970s and 1980s 914 content to contribute but I really enjoyed seeing the pictures from the turbo thread. biggrin.gif

Post your pictures and stories for those of us that did not live through it. piratenanner.gif

Let's keep it drama and name calling free. beerchug.gif

John
Jeff Hail
QUOTE(FourBlades @ Mar 27 2013, 08:44 AM) *

OK, so I don't have much 1970s and 1980s 914 content to contribute but I really enjoyed seeing the pictures from the turbo thread. biggrin.gif

Post your pictures and stories for those of us that did not live through it. piratenanner.gif

Let's keep it drama and name calling free. beerchug.gif

John

How are we expected to keep anything from the 70' and 80's drama free? Eric Shea wore dolphin shorts and puka shells. poke.gif Leaf Garret had hair. Peter Frampton had hair. Journey had hair. Most people had hair and didn't need glasses. Formica has been replaced with carbon fiber.
sixnotfour
Jeff Hail
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Mar 27 2013, 04:32 PM) *

You had good hair !!! av-943.gif
FourBlades

Drama that happened back then is encouraged.

New drama is plentiful enough on here.

Who raced their 914 on Mulholland back in the day?

John
sixnotfour
I raced a 70 Z28 from stop light to stop light through the city and beat em, he was pissed, Trans Am crusing in Everett Colby ave, VW junk shouting at me, as I passed him every time next light, VW junk see ya,,,, I forgot I had a 2.4S
Jeffs9146
Jeffs9146
Another 1982 same car!
sixnotfour
1975 my dad bought this 9146 for $3250
914Sixer
I have some 70's 911 and some 80's 914 I will scan. I will post them tomorrow.
URY914
My car in 1982....

Click to view attachment
URY914
Daytona 1981

Click to view attachment
URY914
Ft Myers 1988

Me doing my best Tom Selleck...

Click to view attachment
oldschool
Some time in the 80'sClick to view attachment
FourBlades
QUOTE(oldschool @ Mar 28 2013, 12:12 AM) *

I have a set of those wheels in my shed. I noticed Paul had some to, was this the wheel to have back when?

John
anderssj
At the rest stop at the top of Raton Pass on the CO/NM border, 11 OCT 1973. I was on the way from MN to Luke AFB AZ. As you can see, the weather was pretty crappy . . . .

Click to view attachment
JeffBowlsby
A bunch more here:

http://bowlsby.net/914/Classic/VintagePhotos.htm
MDG
My daily driver throughout the '80s and my first 914 - around 1984

Click to view attachment
carr914
Sorry I was into Corvettes & Marriage in the 80's - gave them both Up

Click to view attachment
carr914
But then I came to my Senses & started Buying Porsches

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Socalandy
So the 90's don't matter WTF.gif

Nice pictures guy's popcorn[1].gif
TargaToy
I'm the shirtless little guy sitting on the pillow.

Click to view attachment

Couple of Dad on AX course.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

My Dad sold this car in the late 70's....

This one's from the day my parents saw the car for the first time 30 years after selling it because there was no place for my sister to ride along with us. biggrin.gif

Mom and Dad taking first ride.

Click to view attachment

Dad and me about to take a ride.

Click to view attachment

We bought the car back together about a week later! aktion035.gif

1970 Neun vierzehn
1977 Smokey Mountain Nat'l Park

The red 914 (still) belongs to Pat Garvey

The yellow 914 (still) belongs to my wife and I (pictured)
1970 Neun vierzehn
1978 PCA autocross in Cincinnati held in the parking lot of a vocational school. Both my wife Linda and I won our respective classes. smile.gif
1970 Neun vierzehn
same venue and date as previously posted
sixnotfour
great stuff... beerchug.gif

QUOTE(TargaToy @ Mar 28 2013, 05:07 PM) *

I'm the shirtless little guy sitting on the pillow.

Click to view attachment

Couple of Dad on AX course.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

My Dad sold this car in the late 70's....

This one's from the day my parents saw the car for the first time 30 years after selling it because there was no place for my sister to ride along with us. biggrin.gif

Mom and Dad taking first ride.

Click to view attachment

Dad and me about to take a ride.

Click to view attachment

We bought the car back together about a week later! aktion035.gif

sixnotfour
Why is your arm around Pat's Wife ??? happy11.gif

QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Mar 28 2013, 06:49 PM) *

1977 Smokey Mountain Nat'l Park

The red 914 (still) belongs to Pat Garvey

The yellow 914 (still) belongs to my wife and I (pictured)

1970 Neun vierzehn
On the road in the Colorado Rocky Mountains in 1978......
1970 Neun vierzehn
...and more, deep in the mountains
lrm914
Click to view attachmentHere's my 1970, 914 circa 1985. I loved this car...The picture do not do it justice. It had been repainted befor I bought it from green to a dark metal flake british racing green. I remember the shine on that car was just beautiful. I had the car for less than a year, when driving home from work in a light drizzle, a woman in a POS Hornet ran a stop sign right in front of me....nothing at at could be done to avoid missing her. Basically the 914 folded in on itself in the front, totalled. The woman drove away with a dented hub cap.....
Jeffs9146
Finished restoration in 1987
67 911s
Jeffs9146
LA 1986!
Jeffs9146
Hollywood 1980

Man I have had some nice cars!! blink.gif driving.gif and some cute girl friends beerchug.gif !
oldschool
My UPS days in the 80's....still have the same Girl aktion035.gif Click to view attachment
lrm914
Click to view attachment
Post mortem...1986
Subsequently the wreck was included in the insurance settlement, the very next day a guy who was building a 914 just down the road, knocks on the door and wants to buy the wreck for $1000. I sold it to him. The guy proceeds to build a beautiful 914 ground up. He sloped the front fenders by cutting a slit down the top of the fenders where the blinkers are, removed the front fender hump and turn signals and hammered them down to meet up with the slope of the hood, welded back together, etc. Looked alittle like a Chalon in the front. Anyway he has hours and hours into his car, paints it himself in his garage, and finishes in record time... the car is a work of art, NASA couldn't do it better.
On it's maiden voyage he wraps the car around a tree...2, 914's destroyed in less than 3 months, within a mile of each other....1986.
Click to view attachment

circa '77 or '78..
Only pic that I know that I have. And the addiction started. RIP Skip smoke.gif

Dig them Caps. Coco mats and woodgrain dash with kick ass stereo for the day.
oldschool
Also had a jag in the 80'sClick to view attachment
oldschool
My 912 in the 80's....boy that ride got me in trouble with cheer.gif Click to view attachment
hot_shoe914
QUOTE(lrm914 @ Mar 28 2013, 10:55 PM) *

Click to view attachment
Post mortem...1986
Subsequently the wreck was included in the insurance settlement, the very next day a guy who was building a 914 just down the road, knocks on the door and wants to buy the wreck for $1000. I sold it to him. The guy proceeds to build a beautiful 914 ground up. He sloped the front fenders by cutting a slit down the top of the fenders where the blinkers are, removed the front fender hump and turn signals and hammered them down to meet up with the slope of the hood, welded back together, etc. Looked alittle like a Chalon in the front. Anyway he has hours and hours into his car, paints it himself in his garage, and finishes in record time... the car is a work of art, NASA couldn't do it better.
On it's maiden voyage he wraps the car around a tree...2, 914's destroyed in less than 3 months, within a mile of each other....1986.

I have always been told British racing green was bad luck for 914s, maybe there was something to that. confused24.gif
1970 Neun vierzehn
in Snowmass Colorado, circa 1978
lrm914
Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment

Circa 1986 Northern New Jersey.
Bought this after I wrecked my 914.
My 1970 240Z not even close to stock....
By far the quickest, and fastest car I have ever owned. I can remeber the force of accelleration of this car...being pushed back into the seat, just crazy fast.
This thing would run circles around Vettes, IROC Z28's and 911's of the day.
I was only a kid, 20yrs old. Lucky to still be alive.
PS... apologies for not being porsche related

1970 Neun vierzehn
Virginia Tidal Basin, 1979.......
lrm914
QUOTE(hot_shoe914 @ Mar 29 2013, 12:06 AM) *

QUOTE(lrm914 @ Mar 28 2013, 10:55 PM) *

Click to view attachment
Post mortem...1986

I have always been told British racing green was bad luck for 914s, maybe there was something to that. confused24.gif

At this point I would have to agree, If I knew that then, I would have had it repainted a different color. I still miss that car....
1970 Neun vierzehn
1981.....westbound on I-40 in North Carolina

The lead (red) 914 belongs to Pat Garvey, my 1970/4 is in the middle, and the 914/6 of Nancy and Jon Lowe is bringing up the rear.........
913B
QUOTE(oldschool @ Mar 28 2013, 09:03 PM) *

My 912 in the 80's....boy that ride got me in trouble with cheer.gif Click to view attachment

Boy you were one smooth cat back in day, was that in the heights ?
That street kinda looks familiar.

Eric_Shea
QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Mar 28 2013, 10:48 PM) *

1981.....westbound on I-40 in North Carolina

The lead (red) 914 belongs to Pat Garvey, my 1970/4 is in the middle, and the 914/6 of Nancy and Jon Lowe is bringing up the rear.........

Jeff, is that your car?
oldschool
QUOTE(porsche913b_sp @ Mar 28 2013, 09:51 PM) *

QUOTE(oldschool @ Mar 28 2013, 09:03 PM) *

Boy you were one smooth cat back in day, was that in the heights ?
That street kinda looks familiar.

Lol.. yes What do you know about the Hieghts?
euro911
QUOTE(FourBlades @ Mar 28 2013, 04:13 AM) *
QUOTE(oldschool @ Mar 28 2013, 12:12 AM) *
I have a set of those wheels in my shed. I noticed Paul had some to, was this the wheel to have back when?

John
Dan Gurney/Western (Jack McAfee 'clone') wheels were very popular on both 914s and 912s back in the '70's. My first ('71) 914 had them too. I still have 4-lug and 5-lug sets smile.gif
913B
I spent my childhood in that neighborhood.
oldschool
QUOTE(porsche913b_sp @ Mar 28 2013, 11:05 PM) *

I spent my childhood in that neighborhood.

Really ! Me 2.. We still have a house on Sichel St. Lincoln High class of 1979.Wow blink.gif long time.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.