Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wierd Six Oil Tank
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
redshift
hehe

I am not even going to comment... I mean besides this.

M
Eric_Shea
Ricardo Gonzales selling it. He's a great guy. Has tons of parts. I used to buy a bunch of stuff from him when I lived in ChiTown.

I think that's a cool tank. I don't remember the concensous, but there was a thread on those here a while back. I'm sure it resulted in everyone panning the living shit out of them... biggrin.gif
SLITS
In reality, a dry sump tank is a dry sump tank. As long as they are properly constructed it makes no difference. The one I bought will go in the front trunk and is a 13 qt tank (I like lotsa oil)
sixnotfour
Mark Stephens made these tanks in the 90's. Otto.s in Venice hates em , Eddie has one in his 914-6 works great.
Eric_Shea
Otto.s in Venice hates em
Good enough for me...

The one I bought will go in the front trunk and is a 13 qt tank (I like lotsa oil)

Speaking of front tanks... I hear from Russ in Albuquerque (PCA pres and 6 racer down there) that you had to have a "HUGE" scavenge line otherwise you'd starve the engine. I've seem a few setup like 914rs and others

Mythbusters?

It matters not to me cause I just got Jared's GPR tank in the mail today. (Sorry Sean) wub.gif
redshift
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Nov 20 2004, 07:20 PM)
Otto.s in Venice hates em

Sign me up for 10.

M
ClayPerrine
The tank is a Stevens engineering tank. It goes in place of the current battery tray. I have an old article from VW-Porsche magazine that was written at the time this became available.

Seems that the tank has a problem with cavitation due to oil foaming.. IIRC.

Rich Johnson had one that he carried around to swap meets for years. I don't know if he ever sold it or not.
airsix
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Nov 20 2004, 04:00 PM)
Seems that the tank has a problem with cavitation due to oil foaming.. IIRC.

I wonder if it's really true or not. Everybody keeps saying you can't make a tank or use an aftermarket tank because it won't have the magic Porsche de-foaming guts (Which really only amount to pouring the oil over a screen). Oil tanks are pretty low tech. They only have mystique because we don't see them much. At least that's my opinion.

-Ben M.
Root_Werks
Yep, Eddie is running one in his 914-7 2.7. When you take the cap off, you can see the baffle. Eddie was running his car at the track and looking around the breather lines and inside the tank, I couldn't see any foam. About the only thing I didn't like was there wasn't a dip stick. Eddie said he just kept a close eye on the oil level. I am sure you could add one with little effort. $300 seems a little much for one of these though? idea.gif
ClayPerrine
Stevens Ad circa 1988 from VW-Porsche
Series9
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Nov 20 2004, 04:26 PM)
I've seem a few setup like 914rs and others

Mythbusters?

Before I stripped my car for the dip and paint, I drove my 3.6 in the car for six months and about 2k miles.

No problems. I have a -16 supply and -12 return.
Brett W
If Porsche had some great special secret about their tanks then everyone would be running Porsche tanks in every form of racing. Not the case. I wonder if the stock tank has any baffles or de-aereators in it?

On the other hand there are a lot of dynamics that go on inside of an oil pan. You don't want to be chasing oiling problems because a tank issue. It is a nice attempt at a reasonably priced "fitted" oil tank. Beats trying to mount the big round Stef's tank or Peterson tank.
J P Stein
QUOTE(Brett W @ Nov 23 2004, 11:28 AM)
I wonder if the stock tank has any baffles or de-aereators in it?

There is a horizontal, perforated baffle in the stock 914/6 oil tank, bout 5-6 inches down from the top.....dunno if there are more.
It leaves something to be desired for racin'. I get slosh overflow into my catch tank while AX ing......bout 6-8 oz every event. The catch tank stays dry durring normal driving so I guess it fulfills the designed function.
Joe Bob
Mark Stephens has been in and out of business many times over the the years...he has left many people holding the bag while he skips away and hides behind bankruptcy laws..
SLITS
QUOTE(mikez @ Nov 23 2004, 05:58 PM)
Mark Stephens has been in and out of business many times over the the years...he has left many people holding the bag while he skips away and hides behind bankruptcy laws..

Sounds like a Zois endorsement to me!

In the early days when we ran a /6 in SCCA, we had a foaming problem. Added antifoam - no problem.
Brad Roberts
Eric,

I run a -20 scavenge line on the any engine that spins more than 7500 RPM and has a front mounted tank. We have to run a radiator style hose spring inside the end close to the engine block to keep it from sucking the hose closed.

B
SLITS
Is this overkill?

IPB Image

IPB Image
Eric_Shea
I run a -20 scavenge line on the any engine that spins more than 7500 RPM and has a front mounted tank. We have to run a radiator style hose spring inside the end close to the engine block to keep it from sucking the hose closed.

Brad,

That's exactly what this guy (Russ) said... -20 and he runs them through the cabin. He didn't recommend it for those reasons. He said they cooked an engine similar to Joe's at a race after switching to a front tank. "no hard evidence of the reason but that's what he suspected."

Thanks for the info...

Joe... make sure you check into it. That's a sweet ride. I'd hate to see anything happen to it. Russ is "LITERALLY" in your backyard. He's the Roadrunner Region Pres. Big 914 racer and a good guy. Find him and get a second opinion.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.