Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Jim's Restoration Thread
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Jmedeiros
Let the tear-down commence!! sawzall-smiley.gif

After months of waiting, the yellow monster arrived from Houston, TX. Previous owner stripped all the D-Jetronix off & replaced everything (I mean everything) with 2 EMPI carbs. The owner previous to this guy was in Alabama. I was happy to see that the battery is sitting on a well constructed shelf with no apparent rust. I'll take some more photos of the body once I get into it. I pulled the driver seat to remove some speaker wires running under the carpet & seat into the engine compartment. Tomorrow I'm going to try to get the light effects off the car. Previous owner thought it would be cool to put illuminations under the left & right sides of the car. Many more days & nights of work & pics to follow!!Click to view attachment
jcd914
welcome.png from one Jim to another smile.gif

I guess I'll have come up with a different name for my restoration thread when I start on my 72.

Jim

abnrdo
welcome.png

From another Jim!

Looks like a nice car to start with. Cant wait to watch your progress.
krazykonrad
Best of luck. Remember to bag and tag all the various nuts and bolts when you pull them off. After tearing down my 72, I ended up with various piles of bolts and stuff that its going to take forever to match back up.

Here is the parts manual with diagrams and part numbers.
http://www.porsche.com/all/media/pdf/origi...914_KATALOG.pdf

Best of luck!

Konrad
Jeffs9146
Can you shrink the size of the photos to a more viewable size? beerchug.gif
Jmedeiros
Many thanks! I'm sure that Katalog will come in handy!!

QUOTE(krazykonrad @ Apr 4 2013, 06:49 PM) *

Best of luck. Remember to bag and tag all the various nuts and bolts when you pull them off. After tearing down my 72, I ended up with various piles of bolts and stuff that its going to take forever to match back up.

Here is the parts manual with diagrams and part numbers.
http://www.porsche.com/all/media/pdf/origi...914_KATALOG.pdf

Best of luck!

Konrad

Jmedeiros
Looks good on the 42" monitor! :-) I'll see what I can do!!

QUOTE(Jeffs9146 @ Apr 4 2013, 06:55 PM) *

Jmedeiros
Stripped out the Dropbox links and uploaded directly. Looks better on my side. Did that fix it on your end?

QUOTE(Jmedeiros @ Apr 8 2013, 01:55 PM) *

Looks good on the 42" monitor! :-) I'll see what I can do!!

QUOTE(Jeffs9146 @ Apr 4 2013, 06:55 PM) *

Jmedeiros
Click to view attachment
Oh lookie what I found! It appears that a mouse (now deceased) had built a little nest/house under the dash in the front trunk. Had a full bucket of hay come out of there! Ran into a starter issue smash.gif that I had to get fixed & am replacing the ignition right now so I have the steering wheel pulled & am starting the teener with a screwdriver! MrHolland stopped by yesterday to see the teener and drove over his '73. Glad to have another fanatic close by! beerchug.gif
Jmedeiros
Got to pull the engine today. Took a trip to Parts 'Heaven' & was able to find a side shifter though it'll take them about 1.5 weeks to get everything together. I'm beat so here's a couple pics of the engine and tranny. Will take more of the engine compartment & the underside of the car tomorrow.
FourBlades

You are making fast progress... piratenanner.gif

That is a nice looking car.

John
Jmedeiros
A few pics of the engine compartment after pulling the engine. Started pulling tin off the engine and taking them back down to bare metal. Will add a few more pics tomorrow if I get time after Cars and Coffee at Canepa. G'night ya'll.Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
mdelwiche
Good luck on your project, I'll be checking in as I am doing the same thing to my yellow monster!
Jmedeiros
So I stripped down a few pieces of tin & got the carbs ready to be pulled off. I have to degrease the tin that covers the spark plugs and get that down to bare metal. Have found a few areas with surface rust that I'll be treating with vinegar & water followed by a water rinse after I get the other tin ready. Having to leave town for work this week so, progress will be slowed for a week. Stay tuned!!
Chris H.
QUOTE(Jmedeiros @ Apr 8 2013, 04:50 PM) *

Click to view attachment
Oh lookie what I found! It appears that a mouse (now deceased) had built a little nest/house under the dash in the front trunk. Had a full bucket of hay come out of there! Ran into a starter issue smash.gif that I had to get fixed & am replacing the ignition right now so I have the steering wheel pulled & am starting the teener with a screwdriver! MrHolland stopped by yesterday to see the teener and drove over his '73. Glad to have another fanatic close by! beerchug.gif

A mouse nest? Noooooo waaaayyyy biggrin.gif . I don't think there's been a single car I've bought that was non-up that didn't have mouse "evidence" of some kind. They like to chew the dash and fuel sender wires BTW. Must be extra tasty. If anything electrical isn't working at all check the wires first.

Cool find! Had one just like that in college. My favorite car of all time.
green914
Glad I looked at your thread, I just brought home a 73 that the previous owner tore down; he bagged many of the nuts and bolts, I hope that helps. Thank you Konrad for passing on the info 914 katalog, It sounds like it will be a big help.
Jmedeiros
Here's a shot of the tin after a bit of wire wheeling.
Click to view attachment
Here's one of the carbs after I cleaned it up. It was coated with dirt & oil.
Click to view attachment
Here's another one of the tin
Click to view attachment

My brother John has been helping and adding some gentle advice. He's been running some test beads with the welder at his house so, hopefully when we start cutting out the bad, he can weld in some good! :-) beerchug.gif

Here's a bit of the bad down in the 'Hell Hole'.

Click to view attachment
Jmedeiros
I found that all the bagged nuts and bolts were for stuff that was taken off the car & thus, useless on what was left. When you say 'tore down' how far down is down?? idea.gif Assuming you're having to put stuff back together, hopefully those bagged bits are labelled!!
QUOTE(green914 @ May 13 2013, 11:48 AM) *

Glad I looked at your thread, I just brought home a 73 that the previous owner tore down; he bagged many of the nuts and bolts, I hope that helps. Thank you Konrad for passing on the info 914 katalog, It sounds like it will be a big help.
Jmedeiros
A few more pics:
Here's the side shifter tranny from Parts Heaven that's going in.
Click to view attachment
Took this so you could see the dirt packed on the cooler but it's a bit blurry. Clean up of the engine continues!
Click to view attachment
Jmedeiros
Finally getting back to the build. I've decided to go full track car with a 3.? as a power plant with a 915 tranny. Stay tuned for more fun!
Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
Jmedeiros
Finally after a move from San Jose to Los Banos, I was able to start working on the car again. I decided to stop restoration & make this a track car. This allowed me to bring in some professional help & allow someone else to help get the car built. Once the car was stripped down to the tub & media blasted, we found a large amount of rust that will need to irradicated along with chassis strengthening. I'll get some pics up soon!! sawzall-smiley.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.