Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Can't keep the rubber squeegie in place
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
PanelBilly
This is one of the jobs I never finished. I installed new rubber squeegies in the doors and when I operate the windows, they pull out. Tried a little glue, but it doesn't hold. Any ideas

Here's how I did it.

First, Mark sent me a new set of them and they look more pronounced if I can use that term.

I worked the metal some more. It was a bit bent up.

Click to view attachment

Then I slid the rubber in with the help of a little soap.

Lastly, I use a set of pliers that had been modified for pulling plug wires. They were perfect because then crimped the edge of the metal without touching the rubber.

Click to view attachment
Cupomeat
GREAT! agree.gif

I have never been able to finish off my doors for this reason as well.

I'd LOVE to know.

Thanks for bringing this up.
messix
does the channel that the rubber fit in to need to be peened down like the a-pillar part out the front targa seal?
r_towle
Mine were preened over on each end
Mike Bellis
I got new ones from 914 rubber. Mine pull out in the middle every time I lean my arm on them. I eventually just removed them. To save weight... poke.gif Well, to save me from going crazy.

Weird... I think the new soft rubber may be too soft to stay in the extruded aluminum thingy. Perhaps you could remove the aluminum and peen in several places to keep it in.
zonedoubt
Put some talcum powder on them.
rhodyguy
clean the windows with a diluted vinegar/ammonia solution and wipe them with newspaper. like REALLY CLEAN. dress the the seals with a light coat of glycerin.
balljoint
Should he wash his arm and put glycerin on his shirt sleeve too? biggrin.gif

Sounds like they don't fit. Maybe there were a couple made too thin to engage the channel properly? How many people have actually installed them?

Start by checking the group buy thread. If it's been bought ahead for a final assembly in 5 years they won't be able to help you but someone can answer the question.
76-914
Well, I feel strange. I've done them on both my 914's w/o incident?? I can tell you this. The strip was a very tight fit and required some coaxing. I did not use any lube to help it slide nor did I relieve any crimps in the channel. PITA but they work great after a few years.
balljoint
QUOTE(76-914 @ Apr 7 2013, 10:10 AM) *

Well, I feel strange. I've done them on both my 914's w/o incident?? I can tell you this. The strip was a very tight fit and required some coaxing. I did not use any lube to help it slide nor did I relieve any crimps in the channel. PITA but they work great after a few years.

After a few years? Where did you get them from?
Daiberl
I have the same problem with my rubber seal, really annoying, I haven't tried to glue them in yet. Are yours the one from 914rubber?
76-914
QUOTE(balljoint @ Apr 7 2013, 08:19 AM) *

QUOTE(76-914 @ Apr 7 2013, 10:10 AM) *

After a few years? Where did you get them from?

Let me look it up. I keep my receipts. Maybe PP or Mikey?? I gotta tell ya. poke.gif When I saw that you had replied I quickly reread my last post thinking OMG, what has he turned this into? But upon reading your reply I became concerned that you had taken ill in that you usually take a certain, shall we say license, with that much material. lol-2.gif Or, did you get put in timeout again? happy11.gif
Mikey914
Let me know if you are having issues. I'd be happy to send you a replacement. Justy PM me your email and I can resend another set. The durometer of rubber was the same as sample OEM part. Maybe just a a out of tollerence part. Doesn't happen very often, but possible.

Either way I'll take care of it.
-Mark

Mikey914
Don't glue them, it would be a mess.
Thx
Daiberl
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Apr 7 2013, 08:51 AM) *

Thx

Ok, I will try to squezze the aluminum a bit. My problem is that every time I close the door the end of the rubber comes out of the channel. Looks like a winter project since I have to get the door apart to get to the channel, or is there an easier way?
rhodyguy
i guess he could wash his hands but why would he need to? you might think your windows are clean. a little windex and paper towel isn't going to do the job. the sharp edge will drag on accumulated grime that may fold the edge under and out it pops due friction. the glass should be slick. or don't try really cleaning, run a fat bead of silicon in the channel and call it a day.

k
76-914
QUOTE(Daiberl @ Apr 7 2013, 08:56 AM) *

Thx

Ok, I will try to squezze the aluminum a bit. My problem is that every time I close the door the end of the rubber comes out of the channel. Looks like a winter project since I have to get the door apart to get to the channel, or is there an easier way?

Did you remove the channel to replace the strip or try to stuff it in place?
Daiberl
QUOTE(76-914 @ Apr 7 2013, 09:19 AM) *

QUOTE(Daiberl @ Apr 7 2013, 08:56 AM) *

Thx

Did you remove the channel to replace the strip or try to stuff it in place?

First I had the channel removed, then I put the door back together and now when it comes off I simply stuff it back on.
PanelBilly
QUOTE(Daiberl @ Apr 7 2013, 08:26 AM) *

I have the same problem with my rubber seal, really annoying, I haven't tried to glue them in yet. Are yours the one from 914rubber?

Yes, that's what I'm working with.
rhodyguy
when you guys installed these did you remove the end caps? did you slide them in? was it a tight fit almost to the point of stretching? if they slid right in with not much, if any effort, there's a prob with the squeegee. as i recall, with the ones i bought from the bird it took some time to work them in. glycerin in the channel and on the bead that slides in. walked down the channel a little at a time and fell back to relieve the stretch. i waited 24 hrs to trim to the correct length. glad i did. they had recovered and sucked back on the triangle window end.
MrHyde
I'm having the same issue with one of my squeegies.. Right ride is fine, but the left side sticks to the window and makes it hard to crank down, but when it does it pulls the squeegie down into the door... I was thinking to just put some think felt on the inside of the rubber like modern cars have. But yes, I'm having the same issue..
rhodyguy
post #7
MrHyde
Tryed that already
PanelBilly
Click to view attachment

Here's the pliers
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.