Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Realistic power expectations
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tacm
Greetings all,

I am in the process of acquiring a new to me 914. I had a 1.7 or 1.8 20 plus years ago for a few months. I have always loved the model, and hence the reason I am coming back. My question is this, I will be wanting a higher powered car. I have read a lot about VW type 1 performance engines and I think 130 to 150 hp is reliably possible for a bug. What differences are there between the VW/Porsche engines? What builders does the group recommend? What is a realistic HP goal for a weekend driver?
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(tacm @ Apr 7 2013, 08:35 PM) *

What differences are there between the VW/Porsche engines?

Money $$$$$

What builders does the group recommend?

Jake Raby

What is a realistic HP goal for a weekend driver?

How much money do you have?
brant
if you stay with stock displacement and budget of $5K you will be about 85 - 110 hp.

if you only improve your ignition/intake/exhaust and don't rebuild your motor then you likely won't break 90hp

you may be as well off building a 2056 with mcmark for nearly the same money...

brant
rick 918-S
I can't believe Me of all people is posting this but... It's more about handling that HP. Learn to drive the car first. Your 4 cylinder will out corner most all comers. Even higher HP cars. Really.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Apr 7 2013, 09:21 PM) *

I can't believe Me of all people is posting this but... It's more about handling that HP. Learn to drive the car first. Your 4 cylinder will out corner most all comers. Even higher HP cars. Really.

HP is nice but I have to agree with Rick. When I had a stock engine, I still came in in the top five at most autocrosses. I could regularly beat GT2, GT3, 911 Turbos... As it comes in stock trim, the 914 is a pure momentum car. As long as you're smooth, you don't need no stinkin' HP... Now torque, that's a different bear all together and you can use all you can get. evilgrin.gif
ConeDodger
But to answer your question, if you're going to stick with the 4 cylinder, I suggest the the 2056. about 130 reliable HP with carbs, less if you go with stock EFI. The engine should last a long while and be lots of fun to drive.

McMark builds a 2056 for $5-6K that will make you smile and never let you down.
McMark
Regardless of who builds it (wink.gif) a 2056 is an amazing engine. Sure, the HP numbers aren't staggering, but power for price, it can't be beat. It's a great street engine.

And if you have 400hp, but only use 25% of the throttle most of the time, guess what you've got? Something close to a 2056.
Razorbobsr
QUOTE(tacm @ Apr 7 2013, 11:35 PM) *

Greetings all,

I am in the process of acquiring a new to me 914. I had a 1.7 or 1.8 20 plus years ago for a few months. I have always loved the model, and hence the reason I am coming back. My question is this, I will be wanting a higher powered car. I have read a lot about VW type 1 performance engines and I think 130 to 150 hp is reliably possible for a bug. What differences are there between the VW/Porsche engines? What builders does the group recommend? What is a realistic HP goal for a weekend driver?
I have a non stock, but very streetable 914 that I am willing to sell. Solid and strong!! Bob
cary
Here you go ..............
Oregon PCA's first AX.
Look at the 4th place car.
That's a 1.7.
Beat me by almost 3 seconds. We were almost dead even last year. Hmmmm. I'm thinking its a right front issue on my part.

http://www.oregonpca.org/events/autocross/...w-time-results/

The EVO is the SCCA Div. Champ. Same with the Vette. The Z car is a Rat Rod with a 350 v8. But the kid is gifted.
The #8 car is a Cayman S with about 100k into it. PDK and all the goodies.

I'm a fresh 2056 with Bilstein's and fresh Falkens.
Here's a 2056 with a pussy driving it. (me)
You get one good shot of foot to the floor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gHc1y8HFWA
J P Stein
QUOTE(cary @ Apr 8 2013, 07:28 AM) *

Here you go ..............
Oregon PCA's first AX.
Look at the 4th place car.
That's a 1.7.
Beat me by almost 3 seconds. We were almost dead even last year. Hmmmm. I'm thinking its a right front issue on my part.

http://www.oregonpca.org/events/autocross/...w-time-results/

The EVO is the SCCA Div. Champ. Same with the Vette. The Z car is a Rat Rod with a 350 v8. But the kid is gifted.
The #8 car is a Cayman S with about 100k into it. PDK and all the goodies.

I'm a fresh 2056 with Bilstein's and fresh Falkens.
Here's a 2056 with a pussy driving it. (me)
You get one good shot of foot to the floor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gHc1y8HFWA

Oh well, in past years a 914 was at the top of the ORPCA AX chart.....tradional in fact.
No T-4 there, tho. biggrin.gif
bandjoey
QUOTE(Razorbobsr @ Apr 8 2013, 07:02 AM) *

Greetings all,

I have a non stock, but very streetable 914 that I am willing to sell. Solid and strong!! Bob

WOW! Bob you really look good in a dress! Car looks sharp too. happy11.gif
Razorbobsr
QUOTE(bandjoey @ Apr 8 2013, 02:38 PM) *

QUOTE(Razorbobsr @ Apr 8 2013, 07:02 AM) *

Greetings all,

WOW! Bob you really look good in a dress! Car looks sharp too. happy11.gif

You should see me in a thong and heels! My car is set up for auto/cross, koni shocks, shorted springs, wide tires and wheels, MSD ing sys, etc. I had a 911 guys drive it, he said WOW! Is that kinkda what your looking for? Bob
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(McMark @ Apr 8 2013, 12:06 AM) *

And if you have 400hp, but only use 25% of the throttle most of the time, guess what you've got? Something close to a 2056.

I use 100% of my throttle... happy11.gif
jdlmodelt
Thanks for the detail guys. I"m in the middle of rebuilding my 1.7l right now with dome top pistons. I'm eager to see how it turns out. I split the case. the bearings look fine. But I have a question. Do they have the over/under sizes stamped on them if they are non standard?
DBCooper
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Apr 7 2013, 10:21 PM) *

And still will with more horsepower, won't it? I don't like those either/or choices... unless there's no other choice.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.