Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Done with the motor and tranny
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
worn
In a few threads I have asked for and received advice. Here is the outcome:
Click to view attachment
Engine built from 1.7 to 2056. Tranny completely rebuilt. New synchs, new bearings, new seals. ARP rod bolts, a webcam, 8.4:1 compression. I am adding a direct gauge in addition to the vdo at the dash. AFM and CHT will go with them.

But, I am taking the 911 down Route 66. I am leaving in a couple of weeks and don't have time to get the new engine swapped into the teener.

I am driving from Madison WI as far as Albuquerque NM. Then back through the western rockies. Any suggestions? Also, a collection of shops might come in handy.

Thanks everyone. Especially parts suppliers such as Valy and Rhody Guy. I have photos of the whole thing, so if anyone is interested I could make a thread.
TheCabinetmaker
Stop and visit me in tulsa. My shop is 1 mile off route 66. I'll buy you some lunch (or dinner or breakfast as the case may be) I'd put you up for the night but just don't have the room in my small house.
zixxv6
QUOTE(worn @ Apr 8 2013, 12:00 PM) *

In a few threads I have asked for and received advice. Here is the outcome:
Click to view attachment
Engine built from 1.7 to 2056. Tranny completely rebuilt. New synchs, new bearings, new seals. ARP rod bolts, a webcam, 8.4:1 compression. I am adding a direct gauge in addition to the vdo at the dash. AFM and CHT will go with them.

But, I am taking the 911 down Route 66. I am leaving in a couple of weeks and don't have time to get the new engine swapped into the teener.

I am driving from Madison WI as far as Albuquerque NM. Then back through the western rockies. Any suggestions? Also, a collection of shops might come in handy.

Thanks everyone. Especially parts suppliers such as Valy and Rhody Guy. I have photos of the whole thing, so if anyone is interested I could make a thread.

Worn,
Looks very nice and I would be interested in a thread as I am just starting a 1.7 to 2056 build. Have a good trip.
worn
QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Apr 8 2013, 09:19 AM) *

Stop and visit me in tulsa. My shop is 1 mile off route 66. I'll buy you some lunch (or dinner or breakfast as the case may be) I'd put you up for the night but just don't have the room in my small house.

Thanks, I will pm you as my plans shape up. Have to be in ABQ on the 27th, but, while I may not take it slow, I won't be doing long days. I have always wondered whether your avitar fits your trade. Guess I will find out. Cool! piratenanner.gif I finally get to use the dancing weenie, but have no idea what it is supposed to be.
rick 918-S
Post photos as you go. We really want to do this trip also. Sandy wants to do it in the Bugeye when it's finished. Soft top, side curtains and very low!
worn
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Apr 8 2013, 12:17 PM) *

Post photos as you go. We really want to do this trip also. Sandy wants to do it in the Bugeye when it's finished. Soft top, side curtains and very low!

I was thinking of the TR6, but I just finished 6 years of hard work, and cannot bear the idea of scuffing it up that much. In a year or two it will be easier. Bugeye! beerchug.gif
Valy
Cool engine built! aktion035.gif
914Eric
Worn,

Beautiful job...Engine and trans look great. Gives me motivation as I'm doing a little preservation on my car right now.

What coating is that on your trans? High temp paint or ??

Also, what is that gold section on the rear of the trans? Done just for looks or is there a functional reason?

Thanks,
Eric

worn
QUOTE(914Eric @ Apr 10 2013, 09:03 AM) *

Worn,

Beautiful job...Engine and trans look great. Gives me motivation as I'm doing a little preservation on my car right now.

What coating is that on your trans? High temp paint or ??

Also, what is that gold section on the rear of the trans? Done just for looks or is there a functional reason?

Thanks,
Eric

The good Dr Evil points out how easily the magnesium corrodes when exposed, so he recommends leaving it oily. Can't...make...myself...do...it! So it got cleaned with in an inch of it's beautiful metallic life. The main coating is epoxy DP40, covered with clear coat (I was told the epoxy needs some protection, and besides it looks cool to me). I think it will stand the temp, but we shall see. I have a lot of faith in DP-40, but you need a spray gun and a mask - it is two part. Orange is chevy engine paint. What? It isn't a V8? I was misinformed. The gold is my inability to keep things from looking wrong - rattle can gold hammer tone. I used hammer tone in the wrong color on the TR6 - couldn't resist the bling.

Every part has been changed or cleaned, so I sure hope it fires up.
914Eric
On close examination I noticed a "1" and "2" on the engine. Are they cylinder numbers?

If yes...I thought cylinder 1 was passenger side front?
TheCabinetmaker
QUOTE(914Eric @ Apr 10 2013, 01:41 PM) *

On close examination I noticed a "1" and "2" on the engine. Are they cylinder numbers?

Uh, cylinder # 1 is the drivers side rear. Maybe your engine is in backwards? happy11.gif blink.gif
worn
QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Apr 10 2013, 11:38 AM) *

QUOTE(914Eric @ Apr 10 2013, 01:41 PM) *

Uh, cylinder # 1 is the drivers side rear. Maybe your engine is in backwards? happy11.gif blink.gif

One of my 4 books contradicts the other 3 in this regard. I doubt it matters much. Wait, I think it might... unsure.gif
Drums66
.....Cool looking motor! smoke.gif
bye1.gif boldblue.gif thumb3d.gif
914GT
As far a travel suggestions, you might take the route from Santa Fe to Pagosa Springs, Colorado. Then over to Durango and up to Silverton and Ouray. That drive from Durango is beautiful, I remember taking the train and would like to go back there again.
TheCabinetmaker
[quote name='worn' date='Apr 10 2013, 02:54 PM' post='1848273']
[quote name='The Cabinetmaker' post='1848268' date='Apr 10 2013, 11:38 AM']
[quote name='914Eric' post='1848253' date='Apr 10 2013, 01:41 PM']

[/quote]

[/quote]

One of my 4 books contradicts the other 3 in this regard. I doubt it matters much. Wait, I think it might... :unsure[/quote
It matters when you instal plug wires or set ignition timing, or need to put it on tdc #1. smile.gif
worn
QUOTE(914GT @ Apr 10 2013, 12:38 PM) *

As far a travel suggestions, you might take the route from Santa Fe to Pagosa Springs, Colorado. Then over to Durango and up to Silverton and Ouray. That drive from Durango is beautiful, I remember taking the train and would like to go back there again.

Just the kind of information I am looking for. Thanks.

Valy - here are your heads on my tiny milling machine.
Click to view attachment

They came out the same depth and in the same plane, so I was OK with it. But I was sweating bullets doing it.

and I had to face them for clearance.
Click to view attachment

Not perfect; the mill needs to move with the lathe crank plus the cnc slide my son made.
Valy
Nice heads smile.gif
Madswede
QUOTE(914GT @ Apr 10 2013, 02:38 PM) *

agree.gif I live in the Albuquerque area and have enjoyed that Durango to Silverton road on occasion! Yet to take my newly completed 914 on it though. Maybe RRC...

But to the original poster, I am in Rio Rancho right next to the ABQ. If you'd like to hang out and kick tires, or go for a drive (haha after all those miles) PM me!
worn
QUOTE(Madswede @ Apr 11 2013, 07:57 PM) *

QUOTE(914GT @ Apr 10 2013, 02:38 PM) *

agree.gif I live in the Albuquerque area and have enjoyed that Durango to Silverton road on occasion! Yet to take my newly completed 914 on it though. Maybe RRC...

But to the original poster, I am in Rio Rancho right next to the ABQ. If you'd like to hang out and kick tires, or go for a drive (haha after all those miles) PM me!

How cold is it going to be towards the end of the month?
Madswede
QUOTE(worn @ Apr 12 2013, 08:40 AM) *

laugh.gif Ah yes, the $64,000 question. Typically late April in north-central New Mexico will be up to the mid to high 70s during the day, mid 40s to 50s at night. Could hit mid 80s, could stay below 60. Ya never know round these parts. This changes (hotter days, cooler nights) outside of the city in the high desert area, or of course up in any mountains. Rain is going to be rare and very brief if we get any. Expect it to be breezy if not outright windy in the spring.
worn
QUOTE(Madswede @ Apr 12 2013, 09:00 AM) *

QUOTE(worn @ Apr 12 2013, 08:40 AM) *

laugh.gif Ah yes, the $64,000 question. Typically late April in north-central New Mexico will be up to the mid to high 70s during the day, mid 40s to 50s at night. Could hit mid 80s, could stay below 60. Ya never know round these parts. This changes (hotter days, cooler nights) outside of the city in the high desert area, or of course up in any mountains. Rain is going to be rare and very brief if we get any. Expect it to be breezy if not outright windy in the spring.

Well, since I was at it, I thought it would be good to adjust the valves on my 911 for the trip. Three head stud ends fell out on the lower left. So, I am thinking either I have to instantly move the engine into the 914 and break it in on the way (not gonna happen) or call it off. I was soooo psyched. hissyfit.gif headbang.gif
TheCabinetmaker
I broke mine in at musr 2011. Drive it to Tulsa. We'll readjust the valves, change the oil, check it over and get you on your way.
rhodyguy
when you're in the four corners area(durango), go to mesa verde. it's really cool. worth the side mileage. nice drive on the way up the hill too.

k
worn
QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Apr 14 2013, 03:36 PM) *

I broke mine in at musr 2011. Drive it to Tulsa. We'll readjust the valves, change the oil, check it over and get you on your way.

Well, the big question is how hard will it be to tune the 2056 with the stock EFI. If it will just run after basic timing etc, then it is worth a shot. But if I have to take apart a MAP sensor to get it right I may not have time. idea.gif
76-914
If you can check it with an 02 sensor, I would. To confirm your not going to run lean. Otherwise watch your temps. Very small adjustments might be needed depending upon how it was set previously. Good luck! beerchug.gif
Bleyseng
QUOTE(worn @ Apr 15 2013, 01:39 PM) *

Well, the big question is how hard will it be to tune the 2056 with the stock EFI. If it will just run after basic timing etc, then it is worth a shot. But if I have to take apart a MAP sensor to get it right I may not have time. idea.gif

Depends on the cam used. If its a stock cam no problem, but if its non stock you must adjust the MPS to reset the AFR.
worn
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Apr 15 2013, 07:54 AM) *

Depends on the cam used. If its a stock cam no problem, but if its non stock you must adjust the MPS to reset the AFR.

"Reputed" to be webcam version of 9550. I think I better get the air-fuel set up and the head temp gauge eh? I have a CO meter - any use? Thanks folks. It will be touch and go. I was about ready to hang my head and cry when those studs fell out.

worn
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Apr 15 2013, 07:54 AM) *

I have an extra sensor that has had the epoxy removed and still holds vacuum. Should I find an inductance meter?
worn

[/quote]

Well, since I was at it, I thought it would be good to adjust the valves on my 911 for the trip. Three head stud ends fell out on the lower left. So, I am thinking either I have to instantly move the engine into the 914 and break it in on the way (not gonna happen) or call it off. I was soooo psyched. hissyfit.gif headbang.gif
[/quote]

Well, it is coming down to whether I can do the engine swap this weekend and whether I trust the engine for a 3,000 mile break in. I know - change out the oil at 500 miles. Racer Chris is sending me a new diaphragm so I can mess around with a spare MPS for tuning, and I actually have read PBanders article enough to understand what is going on. The air fuel and CHT gauges arrive by Friday. But, while I have a bazillion tools I lack a lift. Also, it is going to fuching snow Friday! T.S. Eliot was right about April.
TheCabinetmaker
I have everything you need for the oil change, including Brad Penn. 10-40, or 20-50? The speed shop has straight 50 also.
worn
QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Apr 18 2013, 10:42 AM) *

I have everything you need for the oil change, including Brad Penn. 10-40, or 20-50? The speed shop has straight 50 also.

Well I am hoping to be living on Tulsa time as soon as I can. If just for a while. (Actually I think I have to go a bit farther west not to be...)
worn
QUOTE(worn @ Apr 18 2013, 01:42 PM) *

QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Apr 18 2013, 10:42 AM) *

Well I am hoping to be living on Tulsa time as soon as I can. If just for a while. (Actually I think I have to go a bit farther west not to be...)

Friday night - engine out. Swap and in with the new.
Click to view attachment

splitting off the old tranny so we can lift

Click to view attachment

I am TRYING to get south. It snowed again yesterday. sunglasses.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.