Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: V8 guys...oil pan "lower" than the floor pan????
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mueller
it looks like I need to lower the engine/transmission assembly at least an inch more than how I have it test fitted into my car ( rear trunk hits the motor when closed, duh!!!! headbang.gif )

if I lower the transmission an inch and the front of the motor a little more I should be okay, I am just worried of having the oil pan too low....I'm guessing as long as it is not lower than a stock /4 engine mount I should be okay...thoughts???
redshift
On my V8, the oil pan determined ride height.

You can think of something custom.. smile.gif

What was the verdict on the placement in the end? Are you still running the transaxle forward 1.5 inches?

M
Joe Bob
What part of the engine is hitting?
Mueller
I pretty much "have" to run the transmission foward that much, possibly even 2 or 2.5"...the darn camshaft gears are on the back of the head, so no way I can modify the camshaft cover.........I have no idea what the moving of the transmission is going to do to my axles wacko.gif
Mueller
QUOTE(mikez @ Nov 21 2004, 06:56 PM)
What part of the engine is hitting?

engine to chassis interferance

the head sits too high...hits the trunk in rear, and on the front of the engine, the belt tensioner, fuel rail and some parts of the head hit the firewall...
redshift
It's going to stress your CVs, that's what.

the more acute the angle, the uglier she gets, Cappy.. cam gears on.. the..

I have seen a V8 with a big intake/redneck thing, that came up thru maybe... 3-4 inches of the leading edge of the trunk lid.. the trunk floor was boxed in around it..

But, the axle geometry was right...

There has to be a tricked out oil pan for that motor, low profile.. hmm..

M
neo914-6
Mike,
Maybe a solution for the bottom clearance: dry sump Opps, not sure if this is four or six...
Looks great! Another pioneer... smilie_pokal.gif
Felix
skline
Another Pioneer? Or another Prisoner???

You go so far and you pass the point of no return. Seems to me, he is past that stage now. He has to make it work.
sixnotfour
sawzall-smiley.gif smilie_pokal.gif
Toast
Moroso, et all, make shallow winged pans for SBs & BBs. The LS1 Corvette, Camaro, Firechicken all have winged pans for clearance.

Dry sump would be great, but the cost is outlandish (at least for my pocket)
SLITS
Oooops
redshift
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Nov 22 2004, 02:29 AM)
sawzall-smiley.gif smilie_pokal.gif

We build our stills up in the woods, or at least in tall grass.

M
Mueller
QUOTE(skline @ Nov 21 2004, 10:53 PM)
Another Pioneer? Or another Prisoner???

You go so far and you pass the point of no return. Seems to me, he is past that stage now. He has to make it work.

right now I'd say prisoner laugh.gif

I cut the rear trunk to make it fit with the transmission in the stock location.....not good, targa top hits the motor as well as the rear deck lid when closed.....time to make some custom transmission mounts smash.gif
redshift
just cut the roof out a little.

m
McMark
What about an input shaft extender and a bell housing extender? biggrin.gif Then your tranny will be in the stock location. idea.gif
Mueller
QUOTE(markd@mac.com @ Nov 21 2004, 11:36 PM)
What about an input shaft extender and a bell housing extender? biggrin.gif Then your tranny will be in the stock location. idea.gif

you been sniffing that brake cleaner again? biggrin.gif wacko.gif
redshift
lmao.... billet!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.