Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 6 engine question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jmill
So I have a 2.2 T and 2.4 T engine. I can't come up with the cash for new S spec P&Cs right now. The short term plan was to use the 2.2 case (2.4 case needs more work) and the 2.4 crank, rods, P&Cs and whichever heads looked the best. Am I stuck with the T cams or can I get some more power with different cams?
914Sixer
I always liked E cams the best. Good low and mid range power for all around driving. If you go back and read the articles from the 70's R&T recommended the 911E over the S.
JmuRiz
Are you using carbs or mfi?
If it's a 2.4T with mfi, I think you can run up to E cams with the T setup.
If carbs, I think you can run whatever cams you want (depending on where you want the powerband) with S P&Cs...might contact someone like Supertec to get opinions on the most aggressive cams for T P&Cs
scotty b
Solex or E cams. S cams are nothing but top end. They don't come alive until around 4 grand. Once they come on the fun starts smile.gif
jmill
I only have T P&C's. Can they handle the heat and extra power produced by using the Solex or E cams? Will the extra lift on the valve clear the pistons?
scotty b
I THINK you wil be o.k., but you should probably check with Mark henry, McMark or Krusty to be certain
Cap'n Krusty
IME, and I confirmed this with Walt Watson at Competition Engineering, you're gonna have problems using E or Solex cams with T pistons. You don't have enough compression to take advantage of the grind. You may also have issues with piston to valve clearance. I have a nice set of near-new Engle E camshafts that came out of a recently rebuilt 2.2T that NEVER ran right after they were installed. They're for sale, BTW.

Save your wallet, DO YOUR HOMEWORK!

The Cap'n
brant
The problem is going to mostly be the piston clearance.
you can grind valve pockets somewhat... but you may have to stick with the T cams until you buy different pistons.

its one of those things that you won't really 100% know if they can fit until you assemble. (kinda like big tires on a narrow bodied car)

The 2.2 pistons will give you higher compresson, but won't help the clearance a bit.
The 2.4 pistons might give you more wiggle room, but which ones are worn out?
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Apr 10 2013, 12:16 AM) *

IME, and I confirmed this with Walt Watson at Competition Engineering, you're gonna have problems using E or Solex cams with T pistons. You don't have enough compression to take advantage of the grind. You may also have issues with piston to valve clearance. I have a nice set of near-new Engle E camshafts that came out of a recently rebuilt 2.2T that NEVER ran right after they were installed. They're for sale, BTW.

Save your wallet, DO YOUR HOMEWORK!

The Cap'n

agree.gif Best advice smile.gif

Personally I'd take the Cap'n up on the E cams and find the proper pistons.
I'm assuming that you will be running carbs, correct?
Cap'n Krusty
Better make up your mind pretty fast. There's a guy from the PP site making interested noises .........................................

The Cap'n
jmill
Thanks for the replies guys and the offer Capt'n. I think I'll just stick with the T cams and go with a straight T motor until I get the scratch for the S P&C's.

And yes, I am running Weber carbs.
toolguy
T pistons with an E cam need and additional .040 cut on the valve pockets. Be sure and set the valve springs to E specs shims. . . the cut is minor and not any real lost compression. . Best combo I ever had was E pistons and Solex cams. . I built my last 2.0 six that way. . . It would out pull a factory 210 HP 911S on a long straightaway. .
rick 918-S
Good choice. I think unless your really ready to go full tilt the 2.2 will make a sweet song behind your head. When your ready to move up I may be in the market for your 2.2.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.