Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Spelling!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Toast
Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious.
laugh.gif
Root_Werks
I had to catch up on this one. Interesting topic really. Working in an office enviroment, I see tons of mistakes in gramar and spelling. When I post here, I type (fast) and don't look back. But at work, I will re-read everything, twice even if it is just to make sure it makes sense. Sort of a cool forum, I have learned a little from it.

Does ubanics (spelling?) bother anyone? sad.gif
Hawktel
QUOTE(lapuwali @ Nov 22 2004, 11:53 AM)
we speak accent free ...American.....except for the R in warsh

Er, you speak "American" with an American accent, not "accent-free" anything. Anyone who says someone "has no accent" is simply saying they have the same accent as they do.

The English invented the bloody language, so if anyone has a right to define a given accent as a "non-accent", it's them. However, they themselves have so many accents and subtle variations on accent caused by regional and class differences that they can't even agree on what that "non-accent" should be. The BBC even went to considerable lengths in the 1920s to define a "BBC accent", and forced all of their presenters to adopt that accent on the air. This policy was enforced until the late 1970s, when regional accents finally managed to get on the air, at least for some presenters.

There are enough variations in US usage that there really isn't an "American" accent, either. TV and radio presenters are, again, the usual standard, but not to the extent the British have gone in the past. However, if you've ever heard a British comedian affect a mock "American" accent, you'll quickly hear just how hilarious a "non accent" can sound.

Actually, IIRC English as a language has drifted more in Great Britan than here in the States.

If you was to pull a person from the 1800 into the present age and question him, he would find it easier to speak to a person with American way of speaking than a British way of speaking.

It was a pretty complex on why, but basically as America had/has a larger population to incorperate into English due to immigration and a larger population, so it lacked any significant drift for a portion of time. So when buzzwords are introduced they don't ussualy become part of the lexicon, where in GB they do, Due to its smaller population thats more homogenous ( for the most part)

But over all who cares, If you don't understand something cause Engrish isn't your first language just ask, No one here has a problem with keeping their mouth shut. Far from.
TimT
English is actually a germanic language, Anglo-Saxon, or something like that . Its been way to many years since I sat through all of this in a classroom.

I did a quick google and found this link about the history of the english language

English is a very complex language, probably one of the most difficult languages to master. As has been mentioned, even in the states we have "different versions (dialects) of english" Ask for a soda in NY, you get a can of coke or 7up, ask for a soda in New England you get a blank stare,(they call coke, or 7up "pop")

A hero sandwich is called a hoagie or grinder.

I hope no one takes offense, but I just spent some time in South Carolina, I commented to my friend ( a fellow NY'er) that they speak a different language down here!.. Im sure they were saying the same thing about us NY'ers.

The english language is now morphing even further. chat rooms, BBs's, forums develope there own distinct dialects.

People from all over the world read this forum, mistakes and typos are made, give us, and them a break!

Yikes!! ramble off!!

now its time for

beer.gif
lapuwali
I'd question when, or even if, the language will devolve furthur into dialects. Most of the regional differences in the US are pretty minor, and wouldn't linguistically be called a dialect. A genuine dialect often has a large difference in vocabulary, and sometimes grammar. In Italy, for example, villages just a few miles apart may speak dialects that sound like Italian, but can't be mutually understood. Many Italians speak both Italian as it's taught nationally, and a local dialect not spoken by anyone outside a 10 or 100 sq. mile area. The same is true in many other countries.

This has never really happened in the US, where 99.999% of the language is the same no matter where you go in the US. Differences for things like "hoagy" v. "sub" or "soda" v. "pop" (or soda pop, or soda water, or just coke) are pretty minor, and generally only pertain to names of things, not usage.

The differences between UK English and US English are much bigger, and amount to differences in usage ("in hospital" v. "in the hospital" is a minor example), not just names for things.

The main factor arguing against significant shifts in regional "dialects" in the US and the UK is the levelling factor of the mass media. When dialectical differences in Italy were being formed, it was uncommon for someone to meet or speak to another person from only 100 miles away during their entire lifetime. Only the educated few travelled or wrote to people over such large distances. This was true until only 50 years ago, so naturally, differences in language developed over the thousands of years Italy had been populated prior to that time. Today, I'm "speaking" to 100s of people who are from as far away as Helsinki just by typing this. And it's not like I'm using "public" or "book" dialect, as one does in Italy when a Milanese talks to a Roman; I'm using the only language and usage I know.
Mueller
wait till you throw ebonics into the mix smile.gif
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(Mueller @ Nov 22 2004, 04:35 PM)
wait till you throw ebonics into the mix smile.gif

or cyber nerd!

wut ^ mang? dewd.. gawd... OMG LMAO wacko.gif unsure.gif :finger2:
Eric_Shea
Joe, Joe, Joe...

With all the time you've spent reading over this post you could have had those 4 mounts taken out and a proper firewall mount welded in "and" painted fancy "yeller" w00t.gif
Allan
agree.gif Quit bitchin and use your time productively!!!!! Remember the WCC is coming and we need your cars. So use your, youre, yoor, yur, yore, you're time well! biggrin.gif
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(96conv @ Nov 22 2004, 12:20 PM)
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Nov 22 2004, 10:11 AM)
hoo kares bout spelin n e weigh?

huked onn Fonix werked 4 me!

ROFLMAO!

whut r yoo taukin abowt mann?
Series9
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Nov 22 2004, 05:35 PM)
Joe, Joe, Joe...

With all the time you've spent reading over this post you could have had those 4 mounts taken out and a proper firewall mount welded in "and" painted fancy "yeller" w00t.gif

I gave the doors to my painter today. That's progress, right?

I'll get 'er (yes, I know, go ahead) done.

What makes you think I have any intention of changing motor mounts? cool.gif
Eric_Shea
What makes you think I have any intention of changing motor mounts?

Cause... ya done everything else right. biggrin.gif
aircooledboy
I heared all y'all smart fellers had the gud whine and cheeze wiz over yonder, butt I cain't fine none. I axed that Biff fella, but he just sayed soumthin bout "NARK owners" or "NARP owners" and "can't even speak the king's english", and then he wandered away? confused24.gif

I sure wish I cud fine them vittles. sad.gif
restore2seater
This was sent to me in an email about a year ago.

Birllaint Obsrevatoin...
Aoccdrnig to extnesvie rseeacrh conudcetd at Oxofrd Uinervtisy in Enlgnad,it deosn't raelly mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer is at the rghit pclae.

The rset can be in a toatl mses and you usulaly can sitll raed it wouthit much porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae we do not raed ervey lteter by it slef but the wrod as a wlohe.

Jsut thnik a momnet abuot all the tmie you and I watesed laernnig how to splel wrods croreclty
tracks914
With the leader of the free world as a role model (that just got re-elected) why would you expect any more from its people? If he can run the free world with his grammar then we should be able to have a BBS with our little typo's. rolleyes.gif

Ok I just couldn't resist...sorry to ya'll for the politics. I know thew rules but just had to break them. My bad.

But I'd do it again if I knew I could get away with it. devil.gif
Series9
Eric and Allan,

Instead of bitching, I put my day to good use. I:

1. Obtained some more bulk carpet, cut my last three pieces and took them to my binder.

2. Took my door latches, striker plates, stops and deck latches to be stripped and cad plated.

3. Purchased and installed 'hood pins' for my engine deck.

biggrin.gif
SLITS
QUOTE(tracks914 @ Nov 23 2004, 05:01 PM)
With the leader of the free world as a role model (that just got re-elected) why would you expect any more from its people? If he can run the free world with his grammar then we should be able to have a BBS with our little typo's. rolleyes.gif

Ok I just couldn't resist...sorry to ya'll for the politics. I know thew rules but just had to break them. My bad.

But I'd do it again if I knew I could get away with it. devil.gif

And a world power lol2.gif speaketh!
skline
Just a quick comeback on this one, one of the most common errors I see is the word Loose. Loose means not tight, lose means you have lost something, If you are a nobody and can’t do anything right, the word is Loser. That would be desriptive of people like me and Slits and some others on here. You all know who you are.
Eric_Shea
Way ta go Joe! smilie_pokal.gif
BPGREER
Who cares if some cannot spell or form a proper sentence? confused24.gif I think the content is more valuable than its presentation.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.