Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pertronix install issue - spacer plate - rotor will not engage
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mikey914
I had some issues with points and the boy fried the condenser this last round so I decided to try out the Pertronix system as it sounded like a good idea.

The directions were a little bass akward in that it would tell you to install the plates and then run the wires out, and the clearance was inadequate as the plates were in the way. But after a few rounds of assembly and dis assembly, we got it together and it appeared to be together correctly. We had to use the spacer plate to get the height correct. All was well until we installed in the car and tried to fit the rotor. The spacer plate causes the rotor to stand up enough so that the rotor will not engage and turn.

My thought process was to modify the rotor by sanding it down enough to bring it back into position. Any other thoughts here?
euro911
Sounds like the same issue I had, Mark.

If so, the magnetic 'sleeve' that slides onto the rotor shaft needs to be pressed on (or lightly pounded) until it fully seats on the first ledge on the shaft, else the rotor doesn't seat all the way on ... (there's a tang on the inside at the top of the rotor that needs to seat in the cutout at the top of the rotor shaft).

I used a deep well socket and a rubber mallet to seat the sleeve.

You may need to remove the spacers? (I don't remember any spacers coming with mine) so the sleeve properly aligns with the sensor.
reharvey
QUOTE(euro911 @ Apr 13 2013, 05:02 AM) *

Sounds like the same issue I had, Mark.

If so, the magnetic 'sleeve' that slides onto the rotor shaft needs to be pressed on (or lightly pounded) until it fully seats on the first ledge on the shaft, else the rotor doesn't seat all the way on ... (there's a tang on the inside at the top of the rotor that needs to seat in the cutout at the top of the rotor shaft).

I used a deep well socket and a rubber mallet to seat the sleeve.

You may need to remove the spacers? (I don't remember any spacers coming with mine) so the sleeve properly aligns with the sensor.

agree.gif I have these in four of my cars and never used the spacer. The sleeve needs to be pounded on to get it to seat. This has been covered here before. Try a search. Ray
76-914
No spacer and push hard
Black22
QUOTE(76-914 @ Apr 13 2013, 05:37 AM) *

No spacer and push hard

agree.gif agree.gif agree.gif and agree.gif
dangrouche
yes it needs to seat deeper. I had the same installation issue. just go easy on tapping it down, I chipped mine, but it has worked flawlessly. It needs to seat down further. Yes, use a socket and a light touch and do trial fits
Mikey914
Thanks,
I was looking at modifying the wrong end. The instructions are less than ideal. I had the whole unit out and was building it on my table so make sure it lined up nicely. Thought I had it until I installed it. I may try to sand the base of the rotor as I will need to replace it in a few months anyway.
toadman
It has been awhile since I installed my Pertronix Ignitor and honestly I don't recall if I used a spacer plate or not. I do recall, however, that the donut/sleeve that holds the magnets does not go on easily. I have taken mine off and put it on a couple of times and it has never been easy to put it on. There is a top and a bottom to the sleeve and the bottom is not exactly round. It is "squarish" with round corners so it is intended to be installed only when these rounded corners line up properly with the lobes on the distributor shaft. If you make sure the distributor shaft and lobes are smooth and clean, and the inside diameter of the sleeve is clean, it should go on with moderate effort. I would be very careful about pounding on the sleeve.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.