Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: oil pooling on engine tin
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ericoneal
I seem to have a problem with oil pooling on the top of the engine tin, where the red circle is. Just changed the valve cover, and its dry, so I know somehow its not coming from there. I wonder if its coming from the little hose just to the upper left? BUt thats dry too. At a loss here...Click to view attachment
mepstein
Do you have an oil bath air filter? When I jack up one side on my car, I sometimes get some overflow from the filter.
JamesM
QUOTE(mepstein @ Apr 14 2013, 06:21 PM) *

Do you have an oil bath air filter? When I jack up one side on my car, I sometimes get some overflow from the filter.

Looks like a 2.0, so I would say no on the oil bath.

My guess would be it is related to the head vent hose on the left, I would pull the hose off and inspect everything. Only 2 things that would carry oil vapor topside of the engine tin on a 2.0 would be the head vents or crankcase vent.
JamesM
also.... where do you have that head vent hose connecting to? It should run tight along side the engine tin to the flashback valve.
JStroud
I had the same problem, ended up coming from the top of the valve cover, the gasket had sucked in on top, no oil anywhere but on top of the tin confused24.gif

Fixed the valve cover gasket, no more oil.

Jeff
r_towle
Head vent
euro911
If the leak started recently after changing the VC gaskets, I'd agree that's where you need to focus.

Crank case pressure is probably pushing the oil out of the top of the gasket.
ericoneal
The leak was happening before I changed the VC gaskets, which were leaking bad, but now the vlave cover is completely dry, so I dont think its that. I tend to think its the head vent hose, but that seems to be dry too. One clue is that it only leak during "spirited" driving, not when the car is idling.
Finally the head vent hose is connected to a silver box on the firewall pictured below. (not my engine, I dont have carbs, but I do have the box)

Box is also not leaking.

Thanks all,
Eric
TheCabinetmaker
Oil can and will blow out the top of the valve cover , pool on the tin,
and the cover stay dry. I agree on the gasket. Been there.
rhodyguy
have you cleaned the interior of the breather box. i don't understand why you have a bb with fi.
brant
valve cover
ericoneal
Havent touched it, the previous owner had it on there and I assume he left it when he installed the MegaSquirt system.

QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Apr 15 2013, 10:54 AM) *

have you cleaned the interior of the breather box. i don't understand why you have a bb with fi.

ericoneal
I will have another look, but I just changed the gasket and there is not a drop of oil on the garage floor. blink.gif

QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Apr 15 2013, 10:53 AM) *

Oil can and will blow out the top of the valve cover , pool on the tin,
and the cover stay dry. I agree on the gasket. Been there.

JamesM
Ok, so now I am confused as the 1st pic was from a D-jet car and your 2nd pic had carbs?

pressure on a properly setup d-jet car should be venting though the head vent provided it has not been fuch'ed with. I could see on a carbed car how the pressure could blow out the valve cover gasket if it was improperly installed and the normal vents have been jacked around to where they are not evacuated properly.

Makes it somewhat harder to diagnose when you describe a problem and then show a picture of a completely different car.

Also, if the carbed car is yours, it looks like you a have the head vents and the PCV venting to the same source. If you still have the PCV in place which it looks like you do you may want to remove that as it was intended to be connected to manifold vacuum.
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(JamesM @ Apr 15 2013, 12:18 PM) *

Ok, so now I am confused as the 1st pic was from a D-jet car and your 2nd pic had carbs?

Neither may be his engine. May just be searching for engine pics online that have th hose thats leaking on his.

Best guess...

Zach
TheCabinetmaker
His second pic says its not his engine
rhodyguy
the bb is not a sealed container. when you remove the lid you'll notice how it fits. the foam piece inside traps the vapors (almost) and the pressure escapes at the lid. the trapped oil drips back to the head vent tubes when the the fluid level reaches the side fittings. can't see how the djet fi would care for the setup. source the right parts in the classifieds. you might consider changing the slotted screw clamps for shouldered type. esp on the pressurized fuel lines.

k
JamesM
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Apr 15 2013, 09:35 AM) *

QUOTE(JamesM @ Apr 15 2013, 12:18 PM) *

Neither may be his engine. May just be searching for engine pics online that have th hose thats leaking on his.

Best guess...

Zach

Ah, should have read that 2nd post closer. So if no carbs then which injection system are you running? Also, if you are running one of the factory injection systems then why the separate breather box? Given that the head vent configuration has been messed with, that is defiantly where I would start. Maybe route it back to stock.
JStroud
I'm still saying valve cover, since that's where mine was coming from with no oil anywhere else, plus my motor is out of a 75... No head vents, so that wasn't even a consideration in my case.

Jeff
ericoneal
Winner! For the record, the head vent hose was very loose. I tightened and have driven like a maniac thru the Kentucky backroads and no more oil leak. beerchug.gif
Odd that the hose was relatively dry...

ALso, not my engine in the above thread, pulled it from Google Images..

QUOTE(r_towle @ Apr 15 2013, 01:35 AM) *

Head vent

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.