Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fuel pump not getting power
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Rbcm2005
Please help! So we had our car out for the first time following its resurrection from the dead with the stainless steel fuel lines and the relocation of the fuel pump complete.

All was good until we noticed a small fuel leak from under the tank. So we removed the tank tightened everything up, fired up the engine but then could tell that this time around we had some fuel lines kinked up as the fuel supply was now erratic. We pulled the fuel pump out from its new home up front behind the access panel several times but had trouble finding a good position where all the lines were again running freely. You could hear the turbulence in the lines and hear the pump straining a bit. Unfortunately after several attempts the pump just quit trying.

WTF.gif

Damn! So my first thought was that we fried our pump. We removed it and hooked it up directly to another battery that we had. Gave it a quick jump and it is pumping away humming along just fine. Ok good. So then our next thought was the relay in the engine compartment. So we checked it but you can both hear and feel it click over when the ignition key is turned. So now I assume that means the relay is ok. Just in case we popped in a new one and it too appears to be clicking over on ignition.

Finally we checked the voltage at the pump and get nothing with the turn of the key. At this point then in summary what I think I have is a good pump, a good relay but no power going to the pump.

What do we check now?!?!?!?!

Thank you in advance!

beerchug.gif
TheCabinetmaker
Did you check the fuse on the relay board in the engine bay? Of its the one closest to the 3 relays.
timothy_nd28
The FI system Ljet?
Rbcm2005
QUOTE(timothy_nd28 @ Apr 16 2013, 07:45 PM) *

The FI system Ljet?

1971 D jet
Rbcm2005
QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Apr 16 2013, 07:45 PM) *

Did you check the fuse on the relay board in the engine bay? Of its the one closest to the 3 relays.

Is there a fuse in addition to a relay in the engine compartment???

914itis
Yes , there is a fuse on the relay board. Also replace the relay with a known good one or use one from the headlight.

A click on the relay don't always mean that it is working.
type47
QUOTE(Rbcm2005 @ Apr 16 2013, 06:51 PM) *

red fuse is 25 amp fuse
Click to view attachment
Another thing you can try if your wiring of the pump is "factory" (I see that you moved the pump so it depends on how you wired it ie did you wire it from the factory plug/position?) is to "jump" pins 30 and 87 of the terminals on the relay board for the fuel pump relay, that is, remove the fuel pump relay and connect pin receptacle 30 to pin receptacle 87 by using a short wire with bare ends or something similar to connect pin 30 to 87.
Click to view attachment
This will essentially be a bypass instead of the relay. Pin 30 is +12V from the battery traced from pin 14 of the 14 pin plug through the 25 A red fuse to pin 30. The relay would connect that 12V from 30 to pin 87 which would provide current to pin 13 of the 14 pin plug which provides +12V to the fuel pump. I learned about this recently when my car wouldn't start for a track session. I ended up jumping the wire at pin 13 to a terminal of the 25 A fuse and was good to go the rest of the weekend....
TheCabinetmaker
QUOTE(Rbcm2005 @ Apr 16 2013, 09:51 PM) *

QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Apr 16 2013, 07:45 PM) *

Did you check the fuse on the relay board in the engine bay? its the one closest to the 3 relays.

confused24.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.