Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1974 914 Front Trunk Originality Question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
gcrotvik
I am restoring a 74 914. I have a question regarding the grommets/drain tube(s) used in the 3 drain holes located in the front trunk area. The Porsche Pet does not show (at least that I can find) the grommet/drain tube types that were originally used by the factory. If you follow current thinking by Mark at 914Rubber, there is a 911 style drain tube that fits in the lowest drain hole. When I look up the associated 911 part number for this drain tube, it is not associated with the 914, only the 911 (for the front headlight buckets). If this is true, then the drain tube provided by 914Rubber is a good solution, but not original to the 914.

So here is my question. What did the factory use as grommets/drain tubes for the 3 drain holes in the front trunk? Part numbers?

I have looked at many 914 front trunk pictures and it appears that the drain hole under the spare tire hold-down and the drain hole closest to the inner bulkhead are a grommet of some type. The drain hole closest to the front cross panel looks to be closed off with a solid plug.

I am looking for concourse originality.

Thank you for your help!

Greg
Pat Garvey
I find it a new piece of education here. I am pretty knowledgeable with the early cars. To learn that there is a third weep channel in the 74's is interesting, though because it is forward and in a non-drainage position I doubt that it is a weep channel. Probably another closed grommet.

As you can see in the pic of my '72, there are 2 weep holes (sorry for the filth - haven't been in there for a few years). Looks like you have a third, forward of the center tube.

Regardless, the drain tubes that fit into the weep holes are important. I'm not certain which part the factory used but Mark is correct in that the 911 headlight drain tube is a direct fit. And unnoticeable.

All the others that you mentioned are simple grommets. Why they are there is a mystery to me.

I appreciate that you are after "concourse" originality, but recognize that you have to deal with issues much larger that the drain tubes. No one will recognize any difference, and the 911 tube is the only one available (unless Mark makes some).

A someone who has searched for many years for concours parts, and I have found most but not all, concentrate on more important areas. Keep searching though. Took me 8 years to find restored snow plow rear valance. Been searching longer than that now to find a proper early rain tray. And I've put a hefty reward for one out there.

BTW, the 4 mounting plates in my trunk are for an early Automotion sway bar. I'll close those up someday.
Pat
gcrotvik
Pat,

Thank you for your expertise and feedback. Would it be possible (or maybe you already have pictures) for you to take a few up-close pictures of the 4 grommets/drains in the floor of your trunk? In a perfect world, seeing as your car is original, a picture or 2 of the bottom of the front trunk pan, showing the bottom of the grommets/drain tubes would be ideal.

Greg
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(gcrotvik @ Apr 18 2013, 08:31 AM) *

Pat,

Thank you for your expertise and feedback. Would it be possible (or maybe you already have pictures) for you to take a few up-close pictures of the 4 grommets/drains in the floor of your trunk? In a perfect world, seeing as your car is original, a picture or 2 of the bottom of the front trunk pan, showing the bottom of the grommets/drain tubes would be ideal.

Greg

Greg,
Will do, but it will have to be over the weekend. If I don't do it by Saturday evening, ream my ass!
Pat
gcrotvik
Thank you!!
orthobiz
My 74, haven't gotten underneath it yet.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Paul
gcrotvik
Thank you Paul! Your pictures are greatly appreciated.

Greg
gcrotvik
I wanted to follow up on this thread. I was able to find the part number for the front weep hole plugs. It is 999.703.013.50. These are still available. The weep hole drain tubes are part number 911.025.612.00. These too are still available. See pictures attached.

Thank you all who helped find these parts.

Greg
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(orthobiz @ Apr 21 2013, 07:27 PM) *

My 74, haven't gotten underneath it yet.

Paul

Paul,
Noticed you have some stains from the spare tire. Iso 91% alcohol will remove them. Too nice a trunk to have those stains.
Pat
rnellums
That is great Info! I had been wondering how to remove mine!
orthobiz
When I use it, I will post the new cleaner picture. Thanks, Pat.

Paul
orthobiz
The alcohol did not remove the stains. Went to the pharmacy to get the 91 percent stuff. But I did notice that I'm missing one of the drain tubey things and I ordered them from smcparts!

Paul
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(orthobiz @ May 25 2013, 03:37 PM) *

The alcohol did not remove the stains. Went to the pharmacy to get the 91 percent stuff. But I did notice that I'm missing one of the drain tubey things and I ordered them from smcparts!

Paul

91 percent should do it. Mikey makes a perfect repro of the drain tubes.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.