Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need longer throttle cable
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
machina
Need an extra 18", ran cable from rear of case to pull throttle bar on webers. The short cable I have now feels terrible because of the tight radius.

Morse makes nice push/pull but would have to adapt the fittings.

Need source for stock type (but longer) cable.
Brett W
Are you running your carbs and linkage backwards? How about a pic or two.
aircooledboy
I just got a pre-made accel. cable from renegade for my 8. It is a Terry cable w/ the right fittings, but I think it is 18 inches longer than stock.
machina
QUOTE(aircooledboy @ Nov 23 2004, 02:09 PM)
I just got a pre-made accel. cable from renegade for my 8. It is a Terry cable w/ the right fittings, but I think it is 18 inches longer than stock.

That's what I'm talking about. Guess I'll call renegade. Won't tell them I have a measley type IV happy11.gif

Pic as requested....
Aaron Cox
flip the pull arm up make a bracket

looking for pic...
Aaron Cox
mine; IPB Image
machina
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Nov 23 2004, 02:54 PM)
flip the pull arm up make a bracket

looking for pic...

Yah, but this one goes to 11,

have pics but thanks.
URY914
Thats kinda strange because my set up is about the same and my stock cable is long enough.

Do you have the long wheelbase model?

Paul
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(synthesisdv @ Nov 23 2004, 12:55 PM)
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Nov 23 2004, 02:54 PM)
flip the pull arm up  make a bracket

looking for pic...

Yah, but this one goes to 11,

have pics but thanks.

wacko.gif huh?
machina
QUOTE(URY914 @ Nov 23 2004, 03:24 PM)

Paul

No just a standard 914 tub.

It reaches OK but the throttle travel feels terrible, I can hardly modulate it in a turn which can be dangerous. Really can't get the most out of the car with the throttle like it is. Maybe I got a lousy cable to start with. I gotta do something about it.
Brett W
I agree.
Turn the lever around and pull from the front or build some sort of linkage like the 914-6 used.

I have never really been a fan of the goofy cross bar linkage. I have a bell crank system that works better than any other system I have seen or worked with. No I don't have a picture of it.

What do you have for return springs? I have found that really weak or insufficent return springs can make a car impossible to drive smoothly. Another thing is the location of those return springs. Always mount your return springs on the same side of the carb as the linkage rods. This will minimize twist in your throttle shafts thus creating uneven carb syncronization.
rick 918-S
QUOTE(aircooledboy @ Nov 23 2004, 11:09 AM)

How much was the cable? I need a longer cable too.
slivel
I recommend Terrycable. They have supplied both accel and clutch cables for me. They will do custom length. http://www.terrycable.com/

Steve
URY914
QUOTE(synthesisdv @ Nov 23 2004, 01:58 PM)
QUOTE(URY914 @ Nov 23 2004, 03:24 PM)

Paul

No just a standard 914 tub.

Dave,
you may not realize this but by the looks of your car, it is a little different than most.

Is yours the engine the striaght 12 cylinder, front engine option?

Very rare. ohmy.gif

Paul
aircooledboy
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Nov 24 2004, 12:08 AM)
How much was the cable? I need a longer cable too.

Unfortunatey Rick, I don't know. laugh.gif

I bought it at the same time I got a bunch heater parts while I was out there, and Mike jokingly said "how much money ya got". Well I had 60 bucks, so he said "close enough". Hell, the heater parts alone had to be at least 50, so I don't know what they are asking for the cable.

So, as my kids are so fond of saying: idunno. monkeydance.gif
cametal
I think that the stock 914-6 cable is longer than the 4 cyl. one and might be cheaper than a custom one.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.