Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: How far from the nest have you fallen?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
anderssj
About 1200 miles from St.Paul MN to Yorktown VA.

Ended up here when I left the AF. Always thought I'd end up back there with the rest of the family, but not sure I could take the winters anymore (doctor said I have to cut down on salt--am applying the same rule to the 914).

Besides, my old man used to say "never move anywhere colder than where you are . . . ."

Happy Thanksgiving

Steve A-
RON S.
Born & spent my first 15yrs in Warren Mich.(suburb of Detroit,Home of the Pistons fight club)
Now living 900 miles south,for the last 27yrs.
Ron
DNHunt
I live about 13 miles from where I grew up. I work abour 8 blocks away however. If you grow up in Washington people laugh at you when they see the webbing between your toes so, it's just easier to stay here cause around here you don't need to explain.

Dave
type47
dang..... live about 4 miles from where i grew up. am a teacher in the high school i graduated from; have even taught physics in the same room in the school i was a student of physics, so that year was a big deja vu year!!!
ClayPerrine
I am actually 12 miles from my birthplace. But I spent from age 2 to age 16 in Austintown Ohio. 1240.01 miles from where I live now. We moved back here in 1979, 2 weeks before my 16th birthday. With the exception of my time in the Army, I have lived here ever since.

Living in Ohio taught me one thing.... Snow sucks.
mack914
Born in Sudbury, Ontario, 1951. Live in Toledo, Ohio via Huntington, WV and Ashland Ky.
Root_Werks
Probably less than 30 miles from were I was born/grew up. Both my family and my wifes family reside all within 10-20 minute drives. Both of us have always lived in WA and pan to keep it that way.

BTW - If you have moved to WA from another state or are planning to move here, it rains a lot here. So I wouldn't move here. If you moved here, I would move away from here, because it rains a lot here. biggrin.gif
flatout
I was born in Visalia California, grew up in Santa Monica. Now live in a small town in Missouri, and I am ready to get back to nice weather. About 1900 miles.........
andys
Born near Waco, Texas. Left at age 4 for SoCal. Been here ever since.

Andy
richardL
Born Chessington, Surrey (15 miles S of London)

Lived in Bangor, N. Wales

Basingstoke, then Reading, then Crawley

Then Newark, DE
Baltimore, MD
Walnut Creek, CA
Martinez, CA
Oak Harbor, WA

Back to CA, now in San Carlos

So about 5000+ miles

R
914werke
Hmmm... miltary brat spit out on on base in Toul France
Grew up in the mean streets = Ozone Pk. Queens bourogh, NYC
Relocated to Seattle and never looked back.
Sorry you R. coast folks but the L. cost is where its at. cool.gif
How many miles is that ?... Dont know dont care. beer.gif
slapshot914
Stockholm Sweden. Not sure how far that is from Carson City, Nevada. Born in Stockholm, then family moved to Salt Lake City. After I got married we moved to Anchorage for 7 years. Got tired of the cool wet summers and moved to Carson City 19 years ago. Looks like I'm stuck here, but that's not a bad thing. Tahoe 15 minutes from the house, Bay area less than 4 hours.
ematulac
About 2000 miles for me. I'm a NY Native, grew up in Jersey.

My wife grew up on the other side of the world.
Rhodes71/914
135 miles from where I was born in Eugene, Oregon and spent the frist 13 years of my life.
2600 miles from Alaska where I spent the rest of my life until the last 3 years. Going back to Alaska as soon as possible.
Gustl
born in Styria (hey guys, Arnie "Terminator" Schwarzenegger was born in Styria too smile.gif )
then moved about 280 miles to the west (Tyrol) where I grew up
when I was about 20, I moved another 120 miles to the west, for about 2 years
now I'm back in Tyrol, same village where I grew up, but at the other end
no further changes in planning cool.gif

Gustl
Scott S
Wow - interesting thread. I was thinking/reflecting about this late last night.

I am 1022.8 miles from what was home (Newport Beach to Denver). As I watched a very pretty snow fall last night I was reminded how lucky (and thankful) I am to live here. I know that if I had stayed in so cal, I would have either been dead or strung out hollywood blvd trash. I was pretty angry that I was forced to move here at age 14 - when everything I really wanted was out there - I wanted to be the next Tommy Lee so bad it hurt. Odds are that would not have happened and the scene at the time would most likely have swallowed me whole.

I just need to finish packing and Amy (my future wife) and I will be headed out the door to spend Thanksgiving up in the mountains with both her and my families. I am going to ski Thursday and Friday, I have recording session on Saturday night, and the local 914 guys are having a sawzall party on friday less than two miles from the house. It's all good.

Happy Thanksgiving! beerchug.gif
Trekkor
I was born in Carmel, Ca ( 20 mins from Laguna Seca )

Grew up in Santa Cruz ( possible air cooled capitol of the world )

Live in Napa, Ca ( 20 mins from Sears Point )

Means nothing...
Dman
Living in Sacramento CA about 50 miles from where I grew up in Ripon CA where:

My two younger sisters and I had the same Kindergarten teacher as our father.

When I was in high school my dad was vice mayor, my uncle was police chief, and my grand father was fire chief.

I had to be a good kid! <_<
Jake Raby
I live on the same property that I have since the day I came home from the hospital... Part of my operation (machine shop) is located in the same building that I helped raise hogs inside of when it was a barn and I was a kid... Later that ended up turning into the shop that I would do most of my development inside of- Ypou'd never know now that it used to be a hog pen!

I was away for a tour in the Marines but returned here for the simple life and doing what I love right in my own back yard.

I can't even imagine living somewhere else... we have been here longer than all the neighbors combined so when they bitch about the noise from the dyno I just shrug it off and tell them to move... we have no noise ordinance and thats good because the dyno can be heard 6 miles away mueba.gif

If I were to move it would take 20 tractor trailers to do the job!
Nemo914
Grew up in Hollister CA, and now live on Cape Cod MA. Coast to coast--pretty damn far. That's life in the military.
ejm
Born in Amityville New York and grew up nearby in Lindenhurst
moved to Western Mass in '77
so about 100 miles as the crow flies or by ferry across the sound
twice as far driving around through NYC headbang.gif
mattillac
bout a mile or two...still never see my folks though.
BPGREER
Born: Santa Clara, Ca

Moved to: Mesa, Az

Moved to: Sacramento, Ca

Moved to: Beaverton, Or

Moved back to: Sacramento, Ca

Joined the service and moved to: St. Petersburg, Fl

Now living/stationed in: San Francisco, Ca

Next stop: ??????
kafermeister
Hmmm.. Good questin. The short answer is 15ft. Yes, 15 feet in my sisters' old bedroom of the same house where I spend my first 24 years. The house that my wife and I are building will be ready to move into on Dec3.

....but when we (me, wife and kids) move back to our property, it'll be about 6 or 7 miles.

Any local 914 folks busy the weekend of Dec4 to help us move back? biggrin.gif

Rick
redshift
I am legally a complete redneck.

I was born 10 feet from here, same car on blocks as the one when I was a kid.

Speaking of kids, my goat just had sheople. IMADIDDY!

M
Thorshammer
Tumblin away with the tumblin tumblin tumbleweeds.

Born:

Kansas City
Moved Stockholm Sweden
Moved Chicago
Moved Memphis
Moved Jacksonville, FL
Moved Brunswick ME
Moved Pensacola FL
Moved Jacksonville FL 2nd time
Moved Weymouth MA (south of Boston)
Moved Rota Spain (temp)
Moved Sigonella Sicily
Moved Macrihanish Scotland (don't ask)
Moved Puerto Rico
Moved Key West
Moved Alameida CA
Moved London
Moved Abington south of Weymouth
Moved to Hanson South of Abington, MA
Moved to Plainville west of Hanson, MA
Moved to Kansas City (mistake)
Moved to East Taunton MA (best condo I ever had)
Moved to Lakeville, MA 1st home
Moved again Lakeville, MA 2nd home

Did all the moves myself. Stupid! Live 1510 miles from originally born, even got imediate family to move back east from the midwest. Enjoyed the journey!

Erik Madsen
anthony
Jake, can't you put a muffler on the dyno? Does it really need to be heard from 6 miles away?

Anyway, I was born in Concord, CA. I spent ages 0 to 5 there and then my parents moved to El Sobrante, CA. During and after college I lived in Berkeley, Montepellier France, and Walnut Creek. Four years ago, I was able to buy the family home in El Sobrante. It's been a mixed blessing but it's hard to complain about a nice two car garage and a home that has had crazy California appreciation.
Meredith
Same house for almost 2 decades. Some people might say it's boring, but I'm thankful we didn't move around.
Mueller
born in Ventura, CA....raised in Oakland, Piedmont, Cambell, Saratoga and finally we sorta settled down in San Jose (Blossom Hill and then Almaden Valley), now in Antioch (7 years, longest that I've stayed in one place)

Northern California pretty much all my life
Bruce Allert
QUOTE(Meredith @ Nov 25 2004, 11:18 AM)
Some people might say it's boring,

there's another Boring????

Hmmmm idea.gif wonder how many Borings there are in the world rolleyes.gif

....b
Mrs. K
pray.gif
Born and raised in Downey, Ca
and have lived in Long Beach since
1986! A few places in between,
but all in So Cal! Near the coast too! wub.gif

Love the Ocean!

Lisa driving-girl.gif
scotty914
QUOTE(Nemo914 @ Nov 24 2004, 04:04 PM)
Grew up in Hollister CA, and now live on Cape Cod MA. Coast to coast--pretty damn far. That's life in the military.

where on the cape my family is from there... hell my family started towns on the cape, if you want you can go visit 200 years of my family in the grave yards.

on 6a in yarmouth port corner of 6a and thacher st is thacher shores and the thacher house. the family grave sites are in the grave yard right next to dennis pond right off of 6a

if you research anthony thacher he is my great to the 13th grand father
wheelo
@ 500 mi from the OC !

Miss that warm water...

rolleyes.gif
dralf
wavey.gif
I wars born in Linz Austria.....now live in Dayton Ohio.....

Never was good with maps but I think it would take more than one tank of gas to drive back home.
Mark Henry
Born in Port Perry, ON...grew up in Whitby, ON, but spent every weekend and the whole summers on Chandos Lake near Apsley, On.
I lived in Toronto, ON (college) for 2yrs...I hate cities, I'm a country boy.
I lived in Oshawa, ON for 8yrs.

Most of my family now lives in Peterborough (Peterpatch), On

I now live north of Port Hope, ON, out in farm country in the Ganaraska forest.
I'm about 35 to 60min from all of the above places.
Howard
Let's see. NYC -> Miami Beach -> Palm Springs -> NYC -> Baltimore -> Minneapolis -> Palm Springs -> Beverly Hills -> Miami Beach -> Van Nuys -> Home. Westlake Village since 1976.
Rhodes71/914
QUOTE(Meredith @ Nov 25 2004, 10:18 AM)
Same house for almost 2 decades. Some people might say it's boring, but I'm thankful we didn't move around.

I don't think I have lived in any one house for more than 3 years, mom liked to move a lot. Hope I can break the cycle.
scottb
born in st louis but moved to colorado when i was about 11 months old so i consider colorado where i grew up.

mapquest says 1889.28 miles to denver from west springfield mass.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.