Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: How far from the nest have you fallen?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
type47fan
I was just musing about and appreciating the area I currently live in and how I arrived here cool.gif . Then I was wondering how far from your childhood homes the rest of you are.

I'm about 100 miles away from where I spent my first 18 years. Born in Whittier, CA, grew up in La Habra, CA, moved to Carlsbad, CA in 1973. How about you idea.gif ?
ChrisReale
800+ miles from Seattle huh.gif
Series9
1850 miles from Cocoa Beach, FL.
seanery
I lived 2089 miles from where I was born. Now I live about 300 yards huh.gif
MattR
What if we're not done growing up? biggrin.gif

I grew up in Pasadena. I live in Irvine during the school year and Pasadena during the off season. So about 45 minutes.
spare time toys
Acording to my GPS Im 1108.3 Wausau Wi (They shoot hunters there dont they) to Murphy TX driving.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(type47fan @ Nov 23 2004, 05:43 PM)
How about you idea.gif ?

expedia says 5685 mile(s) ... biggrin.gif

grew up in a small town about 30 minutes north of frankfurt/west germany.
smilie_flagge6.gif Andy
morgan
2.5 miles My family has been in Wisconsin long time 1752 that is The wasp side of my idea.gif
Mike9142.0
I was born about 5 miles from where I live.
But spent most of the first 18 years 150 miles north of here.
Mike D.
I know how long it takes to drive...About 25 hours...
Houston to Los Angeles, so that about 1300miles give or take...maybe I was speeding...1500 miles... biggrin.gif

-Mike D.
Dave-O
QUOTE(spare time toys @ Nov 23 2004, 08:50 PM)
Acording to my GPS Im 1108.3 Wausau Wi (They shoot hunters there dont they) to Murphy TX driving.gif

Ha! I grew up in the sticks outside of Mosinee, went to HS in Wausau! That is a very disturbing situation...i said many thanks after i heard my father and brother made it out of the woods OK. Do you still have any family in Wausau?

David
airsix
600 miles from Fremont County, ID. (see picture at left)
scotty914
me 40 miles, my gf about 10 feet

my family has been in country oh since the mayflower

drunk.gif
Aaron Cox
3 light years from the mothership biggrin.gif

20 minutes away....
SpecialK
961.23765 miles....give or take a few miles. wink.gif

Arvada, CO to Pacific, MO (35 miles SW of St. Louis), but I still rue the day I decided to move away from San Diego. headbang.gif
TimT
I havent strayed far from the nest...

I live about 25 mile from where I was born

Did live in Israel, Iran, and Thailand...ohhh Saudi and Egypt..

but for some reason came back to the nest
azbill
driving.gif About 2200 miles southwest from Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Azbill
carr914
About 1,100 miles from Watkins Glen, NY

T.C.
TonyAKAVW
I'm about 100 miles north of my home of San Diego. My wife is somewhere around 6000 miles from her home of Buenos Aires, Argentina.

-Tony
skline
Where I was born? Or where I grew up? I was born in Omaha Nebraska but was here the following year and been here since. So it is all in how you look at it. My family is spread all over the states, mostly Texas but I remained here.
bryanthompson
Any other college kids on the board? I'm about 25 feet from where I grew up, but ask me next year and it'll be 200 miles away in Lincoln. Woohoo, I'm a freakin rebel!! aktion035.gif
Alison Baker
Born and raised in a wee town called Bonkle, 20 mins from Glasgow and 20 mins from Edinburgh in Scotland. Now live in Fairfield,California
bondo
About 300 miles for me (from Sacramento, CA)
d914
grew up in NJ and now live near atlanta, 700 miles est.
Katmanken
Ummmm...

Not sure where the nest is other than with me.

Born in Washington DC,

Moved to Riverdale Maryland (birth to 3)

Moved to Panama City FLA, (4, 5, and 6)

Moved to Sevilla Spain, (7, 8 and 9)

Moved to Oregon MO (Family's home town for 3 months of school)

Moved to Salina Kansas (10, 11 12)

Moved to Kansas City (13)

Moved to Limestone Maine (14-15)

Moved to Miami FLA to finish highschool (16-17)

Moved to Melbourne FLA for College,

Moved to Raleigh NC

Moved to Cincinnati

Buncha homebodies! happy11.gif

Whatsa matter no sense of adventure? There's a big old world out there! mueba.gif beerchug.gif driving-girl.gif rocking nana.gif

I met people in Spain that had never been 10 miles away from home during their entire life. Snowed one day, they thought judgement day had arrived! blink.gif

Get out and visit! I go to Alaska to visit my sister for fun........ mueba.gif mueba.gif mueba.gif

Us Wales kids get around... And home is where ever we are. agree.gif

Went back to Spain for a visit, it felt like going back home. The scary thing is my Spanish came back and I shocked a coupla people when they finaly realized I was an Americano. blink.gif

Ken
Joe Ricard
1050 miles. Just far enough that you don't get unexpected visits. rolleyes.gif
Part Pricer
Let's see...

Born in Philadelphia, moved to London, moved back to Philadelphia, moved to Atlantic City, moved back to Philadelphia (actually a suburb in NJ), moved to New Market, MD, moved to Connecticut.

So, all the moving around was thousands of miles but I wound up 157 miles from where I was born.
Qarl
About 15-20 miles.

Born and raised in Orlando, with the exception of going to college in Atlanta and working while in college (work-study program) in West Palm Beach.

Qarl
Birgit
....6000+ miles, who needs an exact count after sitting on the plane for that long? wacko.gif
STL914
I see there are four or five others who hail from the Badger State. Born in Milwaukee, lived in West Bend, WI until I moved to O'Fallon, MO (St. Louis area) in 1990.

Travel distance about 400 miles, travel time with family in car, 8-10 hrs. Travel time alone, 5 to 6 hrs. driving.gif
rick 918-S
about 20 miles. Moved on up to the East Side of town.
swood
Well lets see...I was born in Long Beach, about 3 miles from where I live now. Grew up a few miles down the road in Seal Beach. Spent the rest of the time within 10 miles of there, now back in LB.

My great grandparents came to LB in the 20s from various midwest cold states and settled about 5 miles south of me. The dead ones now reside about 2 blocks north of my house. The living grandparents are 1 mile from me and have lived there 55 years.

I suppose the next time I move it will be about 2 blocks north of me. unsure.gif
fiid
Was born in the west of England.

Moved to Coventry (~100 miles)

Then London (~100 miles)

Then Washington DC ( ~3000 mi )

Then turned 21

Then San Francisco (~ 2800 mi )

My wife was born in NZ, so as a couple our total number of miles away will always be >10k.
Robert21
: smoke.gif lived in wilmington ca , saw the hand writing on the wall

so i moved to lakewood ca, and now in orange co. cypress

no writing on the walls here
GaroldShaffer
Born in Phoenix AZ family moved to Portage Indiana when I was two. So I am approx 1815 miles from the mother land. Spent 2 yrs after college moving from city to city installing GE cellular radio equipment. I live in each place about two months or so.

So I have lived in Phoenix AZ, Portage IN, Ft Wayne IN, Phoenix again, Denver, Seattle, Minneapolis MN, Buffalo NY, Philliy, Toledo OH, FT Wayne again, Chicago, Burbs of Chicago and now back to Portage for the last 10yrs.

Oops, forgot Hawaii for 5 weeks, and yes I did move there, then the company transfered me back to the mainland <_<
ablose58
Grew up in a little town called walnutport in pa. 30 miles north of allentown now I am on the other side of the us. approx 3000 miles. AL wink.gif
markb
20 miles from where I was born, 30 miles from where I (kinda, but maybe never) grew up.
Lou W
Born and raised in Glendora, Calif, now live in Hemet, Calif 70 miles away, been here since 1991. I regret moving away, can't afford to move back now. sad.gif
Ctrout
Born and raised in Monroe, MI. 1909 miles away from where I live now (since 2002). My Daughter is 5127 miles from her birthplace though. Bitburg, Deutschland.
opera guy
i am MIT (Made In Taiwan) i now live in so cal.... guess thats as far as you can get on a sphere.
Jenny
QUOTE(opera guy @ Nov 23 2004, 09:38 PM)
i am MIT (Made In Taiwan) i now live in so cal.... guess thats as far as you can get on a sphere.

Me too! Except substitute bay area instead of so cal. That's about a 14hr flight. wacko.gif

Jen
Bruce Allert
Began life in LA for 11 years then went farther South to Hemet for 5 yrs then to Orygun to finish the growth spurt.

Total Est. Time: 15 hours, 54 minutes
Total Est. Distance: 1047.81 miles

.......b
bongo monkey
9 feet, roughly the distance between my childhood room and my own room. I'm not old enough for college yet. But when I do, I'm escaping to Rochester and never coming back to NJ.

ar15.gif NJ
JB 914
Houston, TX about 1600 miles
krk
Raised in Moose Jaw, moved to Toronto -- approx 1800 miles from home -- did the "north shore of superior" drive in a 68 beetle -- wowzers... lots of really big trucks -- Lived in TO for 15 years. Awesome city to live in. Would happily go back except for "winter"...

Moved to San Jose for work -- computer geek -- now only 1500 miles from Home™) -- it's warmer here and awesome in different ways -- much more p-car friendly smile.gif (drove a p-car to work today -- it's actually perfect here in the fall -- sunny and not hot -- the weather here is actually like the praries where I grew up -- just stretch out summer until the winter part is gone). (oh, our desert plants have started their blooming cycle -- beauty is unfolding in the front yard!)

Each place we've lived, we've learned a lot -- tourism can't get some of the interesting info into your brain -- and met really great people -- the 914 gang and tech crowd down here are really cool.

We try to make life an adventure. So far, it's been a wild ride, but a good one.

kim.
Kevin@ojai.net
~500 miles

-Kevin
bernbomb914
I am about 100 miles from Monrovia CA where I was born, lived in so cal for 72 years and have seen too many changes over the years

Bernie
Red-Beard
It depends on what you mean by grew up.

I'm about 5 miles from where I lived from age 4-8.

1786.59 miles from where I lived most of my parental controled years.

1101.31 from where I was born in Chicago

Take your pick... cool.gif
watsonrx13
Born in Kwajalein, Marshal Islands (Pacific Ocean)
Raised in Chula Vista, CA
Spent 1 yr at Quantico, VA
Grew up in Baton Rouge, LA
Live in Tampa Bay, FL
machina
Our house is 4 blocks away from my parents house where I grew up. They have been there over 30 years.

let me tell you, its great for baby sitting services.

also, my dad lets me keep my trailer there and he has every tool known to man. The tools are slowly accumulating in my garage now. happy11.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.