Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Looking for Engine lid attachment options
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Kerrys914
I am looking for ideas on how some of you have tackled the improved method for removal of the engine lid. It is a big pain to work on the engine and have that lid half open. I would like to be able to remove the lid easily and quickly headbang.gif headbang.gif

Will the "hood pins" work? wacko.gif

Photos are a big plus smile.gif

CHeers
BIGKAT_83
Try this. Bmw hood hinges with a rear opening trunk and a lower rear firewall give plenty of room to work on the engine.
BIGKAT_83
and one more
Kerrys914
Holy cow man ohmy.gif ohmy.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif

I have never seen that before..Very nice work beer.gif That really does open up the engine bay alot.

I think that is a little ratical for me. I am looking to just remove the engine lid.
ClayPerrine
Take the engine lid off. Open the bolt holes until they are a U shaped opening rather than a hole. Then just loosen the bolts and pull rearward to remove the lid.
gregrobbins
agree.gif

Like Clay said, I used a Dremmel tool to cut away the metal between the end of the bracket and the bolt hole on the hood. All I have to do is loosen the bolts a few turns and slide the hood off. Makes reinstalling much easer too-line up, slide in and tighten the bolts.
type47
definately go with hood pins.....
drew365
I drilled out the center of the stock hinges so the hood and the part of the hinge attached to the firewall could be separated. I bought quick releases with a button on top that slide into the center of the hinge. All I have to do is pop the hood, pull each quick release and the hood is off. It's really not that hard to put back on either. I don't have a pic right now but I'll take one if you want to see it.
Kerrys914
Drew, does your setup still hinge up like the stock setup? OR Do you remove the lid when you need to enter the engine bay area for anything?

Please send photos smile.gif

Post here or e-mail me kerrys914@yahoo.com
SGB
Drew-
Like Kerry, I've been thinking about a simple quick release for the hood. I guess cutting the bolt hole will work, but it seems like a pretty stressed attachment point already. I like the idea of a removable hinge pin. Show use how you did it and what the pin looks like please.
drew365
The hinge swivels just like stock except on the quick release pin which can be pulled to remove the hood. I'll try to post a pic by tonight. The hardest part is finding the right size quick release. Mine, instead of having a T handle on top is an L so it is easier to push in and out.
brant
I attatched pins to my lid pointing forward.
then cut the appropriate hole into the first layer of the boxed section of the firewall....

back of lid has a pair of pins.

lid lifts out by lifting up on the back and pulling rear wards.

Pictures are in the thread on my signature line.

brant
slivel
Mine has pins too, but welded on the firewall.
slivel
The lid has mesh over the whole surface area for better cooling. Two pins on the firewall and hood pins on the rear side, handle on top. Works well and easy to take on and off.

Steve
brant
Steve,

I like it.
brant
drew365
Here's some pics of my quick release setup:
drew365
Drumroll please:
drew365
Ta Da:
drew365
And the pin, I don't remember the size, it's just under 1/4",
campbellcj
Not as stealthy as Andy's setup, but I went with the captive-style hood pins on a gutted & lightened GT lid.

agree.gif it is VERY nice to get that effin' thing out of the way quickly when you need to access the engine compartment. The weight savings from losing the torsion springs and latch are a small plus, too.

IPB Image
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.