Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cleaning cylinder
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dfelz
the top lip of the inside of the cylinder has some carbon buildup and i would like to clean this off before reassembling on the engine tomorrow with Ethan. How should i go about cleaning this (see pic) as to not damage the rest of the surfaces? Thanks!

IPB Image
messix
carb cleaner and a scotch bright pad

dfelz
I'll give that a shot right now, i have both of those products in my garage biggrin.gif thanks
'73-914kid
If the carb cleaner doesnt work, ATF works awesome. The extremely high detergent in ATF helps break it down.
dfelz
QUOTE('73-914kid @ May 1 2013, 10:31 PM) *

If the carb cleaner doesnt work, ATF works awesome. The extremely high detergent in ATF helps break it down.

I may have some ATF, I'll have to look in my box of fluids! the carb cleaner did so-so, i also only had the Mr. clean magic erasers on hand, and i think the scotch bright has a little more bite to it so ill be grabbing one of those tomorrow too. Must have them ready before you come over!
jpanzer51
Try Windex All Surface cleaner, It cleans the burnt -on carbon off the glass on my wood stove.
Carb cleaner & lacquer thinner wouldn't touch it.
bulitt
Seriously tough deposits can be removed with a ridge reamer. Can rent at a tool rental place, uses a hand drill. Did you hone that cylinder? looks pretty shiny.
dfelz
Alright, so I got a scotch bright tough scrub pad and it worked like a charm!! Tried the windex but it left a weird residue while i was scrubbing and the carb cleaner worked fine so i stuck with that.

bulitt, the cylinders dont have many miles on them from what i can tell, those hone lines are the original ones!

Thanks for the help guys

IPB Image
Razorbobsr
QUOTE(jpanzer51 @ May 2 2013, 07:08 AM) *

Try Windex All Surface cleaner, It cleans the burnt -on carbon off the glass on my wood stove.
Carb cleaner & lacquer thinner wouldn't touch it.

Try Easy Off stove cleaner, works best when fireplace is worm to med hot. Bob
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.