Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Front struts
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
malcolm2
I have my struts off of the car. How should they operate? The lower end is on the garage floor, and I push down. Should it take 200 lb body weight to move it? how about the return: fast, slow... what should the length be when they stop?

Prefer to only install these once, so if they are bad, I would like to know now.

Thanks,

Clark
hot_shoe914
QUOTE(malcolm2 @ May 2 2013, 07:10 PM) *

I have my struts off of the car. How should they operate? The lower end is on the garage floor, and I push down. Should it take 200 lb body weight to move it? how about the return: fast, slow... what should the length be when they stop?

Prefer to only install these once, so if they are bad, I would like to know now.

Thanks,

Clark

What kind are they and how old are they? confused24.gif
Mike Bellis
Are you talking about the front? Those are just shock absorbers. Should be stiff going down and come back up slow.
malcolm2
QUOTE(hot_shoe914 @ May 2 2013, 07:44 PM) *

What kind are they and how old are they? confused24.gif

not sure what kind...Black with tar all over them? Car is a '75, 1.8 L-jet. They look original.

Yes the front.

they are easy to push down and return very slowly. Please don't tell me they are shot!

What are my options? Since they are OFF, I know I have some alignment to do. Anybody do that DIY? If it is DIY, I might just install them and put new ones on my LIST. A buddy at work keeps telling me about how he aligns his 66 mustang.
Mike Bellis
If they push down easy, they are most likely bad and need replacements. Black would be Boge (stock, original). I think Bilstein's will fit in there directly.
76-914
Lift that black cover off and see what color the shock insert is. Just curious. No matter I just bought Bilstein's for mine from PMB. Great price and quick shipping. They do have this one screwball named Erc working the phones but he's harmless. biggrin.gif
malcolm2
From what I see of the units for sale, they look like a cartridge? Is that correct? No way I am going to try and weld the spindle etc...on to this thing.
Mblizzard
Clark I wave some Boges that are off the car if you need a picture to compare. Watching your progress closely. I will be doing the same soon. If you get stuck and need a hand let me know. Knoxville is not that far away.
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(malcolm2 @ May 2 2013, 08:52 PM) *

From what I see of the units for sale, they look like a cartridge? Is that correct? No way I am going to try and weld the spindle etc...on to this thing.

Yes, the shocks are a cartridge inside the strut. Pull the cover off and unscrew the gland nut (either make or find a pin wrench, or if there's enough nut showing above the strut body just use a pipe wrench) and you can pull the insert out to see what it looks like.

--DD
malcolm2
Turns out the PO had installed KYB brand. Once out of the sleeve, they are painted silver. It was the sleeve that was black and covered with tar.
biosurfer1
Good news is once you replace that KYB crap, you'll have a better ride. I went from KYB's to Koni Sports...I don't regret it at all to put it lightly.
jesiv
So how exactly do you see the strut color?
SLITS
QUOTE(jesiv @ May 7 2013, 07:52 PM) *

So how exactly do you see the strut color?

You look at the strut.

If you're talking about the insert ... jack up the car ... pull the wheel ... take the top securing nut (23 mm socket) of the top of the shock/strut assembly ... compress the shock and pull the assembly out from underneath the fender ... pull the dust cover .. you'll see the gland nut holding the insert in the strut .... unscrew the nut (pipe wrench) ... pull the insert out.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.