Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Camshafts, heater ducting
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
oilhammer
Having my 75 1.8 rebuilt and wanna know some options on selecting a camshaft. I would like something a little more agressive than stock but still very street friendly. So far the modifications include ceramic coating the combustion handling internals and 2.0 pistons, cylinders, crank. See no reason to get rid of injection since it is L-jet. If you think the stock cam is a great one, tell me so and I will probably keep it...

Also, bought my car with no heater, only new exchangers. I now have all the parts except blower motor "Y-pipe". Anybody got a picture of the later style blower motor discharge and how you hook up both sides? Where can I find a "Y" adapter?

Appreciate any advice, I am a newby and I did spend some time looking on the club site for this kind of info. but probably not enough. huh.gif I know you guys can point me in the right direction.
Root_Werks
I might just get slapped around for this, but..... happy11.gif Why bother with the 4cyl? I could set you up for a nice 914-6 conversion. biggrin.gif

Hopefully Jake Raby will chime in for you. He is a type4 God! smilie_pokal.gif
Cap'n Krusty
If you're keeping the L-jet, it's pretty much intolerant of hotter-than-stock camshafts (as is most modern FI). Stick with stock, and beware of cams that are claimed to be able to be used with EFI that are NOT the stock grind. You'll be chasing driveability issues forever ................. BTDT, and I see this all the time ............ The Cap'n
oilhammer
Hey Root, I know, I know. That would be great but right now, I don't want to dig a hole that deep what with the time involved, or that I perceive is involved in the conversion. Plus, I know that flat six of whatever size is either tired or valuable but not both. I would want to do it right. Maybe when the kids move out! The suggestion was worth a smile anyhow. biggrin.gif

Hey Cap'n, I had a 1.7 with D-jet, did a cam and you are right, all kinds of inconsistency due to varying manifold pressure, particularly at idle. I was thinking the L-jet would be more tolerant as long as the cam is mild since it measures actual airflow instead of trying to figure out air intake by manifold pressure. Or, does the airflow meter flutter too much at idle? Welcome your thoughts.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.