Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dash face material
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Dave-O
Hey all,
Anyone who saw my car at the MWC knows my dash needs some help. I'm going to eliminate the radio and glove box because i love the nice clean look of the dash face. I don't really like the original basket weave too much. Other options i've considered are: brushed aluminum/stainless, aluminum painted gloss black (my gauge panel is already matched to the body color) and carbon fiber.

Anyway, the reason i'm posting is i had a bit of an epiphany tonight. I really dig the vintage race look and what defines that more in 914's than the GT's? The GT's had felt on the dash with no lower dash pad. I had considered this but thought it was a little too bare bones for a street car. How do you think a felt dash face would look with a lower dash pad? I thought I could even incorporate a felt "strip" on the door panels that was inline with the dash face. Has anybody done this or seen a car that had this. I'm just after your opinions whether they're wub.gif or barf.gif

David
rick 918-S
My look nice. Do you have any GT dash photos to post?
type47fan
Check Armando Serrano's excellent webpage. He's got a bunch of them from different sources. His site is one to bookmark! One that stands out is the winner of the Daytona race, picture #9.

http://www.pbase.com/9146gt/daytona_winning_9146_gt
curtis
I have the felt on my dash with the knee pad installed and I love it ! smilie_pokal.gif I will try and post some pics for you later on! biggrin.gif
Dave-O
Here is the pic of a real GT dash. curtis, a pic would be awesome! The more i think about this the more i like it. Looks like it's time to go fabric shopping!
Aaron Cox
brushed aluminum to match my prototipo wheel wub.gif

just need someone to make it rolleyes.gif
VegasRacer
Carbon Fiber. smilie_pokal.gif
The brushed aluminum dash always makes me think of a 70's Firebird.
Dave-O
QUOTE(VegasRacer @ Nov 26 2004, 01:35 AM)
Carbon Fiber. smilie_pokal.gif
The brushed aluminum dash always makes me think of a 70's Firebird.

I had considered both of those. I guess it all goes down to what look you're going for. I think with the right combination either of those could look good. With my car i have to keep the stock steering wheel to stay in stock class and to stay in my budget (~$0). I'm also going to put a 917 style (thanks for the link Karl!) shift knob on my christmas list. I'm basicly looking for something more subtle than either.

Aluminum shouln't be too hard and you don't need any big equipment. The long strait cuts could be made with a good metal strait-edge and stanley/utility knife with a couple replacement blades. Do the smaller cuts with a tin-snips. Then experiment with a couple different grain sand-papers and a lot of patience to get the texture you're going for. Finish it off with some clear.

P.S. if " rolleyes.gif " meant that you were planning on making it yourself and have not had time to get around to it...i appologize for the explanation wink.gif

David
boxstr
CAMP 914 is in the process of making up the brushed stainless dash inserts. They will be made in seperate sections, one each for the right and left sides of the steering wheel and one for the heater and radio section and one for the glovebox lid. As I stated in a past posting of this nature, it is all in the works and I am just waiting for the holidays to get out of the way and start the machine.

I have made the carbon fiber inserts they look really nice but are not that easy to cut.

I will keep the club abreast of when they are ready for sale.

I will take a pic and post some pattern pieces Friday.
CCLINPREPRODUCTION
bjorn jacobson
A company called MCM has speaker covering similar to the material you are looking for. I'll use the same material for my GT copy. Just go to MCM.netwark.com and search for carpet. They offer it in black or grey in 6 by 9 foot rolls for 25 bucks not including shipping.
BJ
dlo914
QUOTE(Dave-O @ Nov 25 2004, 10:53 PM)

Aluminum shouln't be too hard and you don't need any big equipment. The long strait cuts could be made with a good metal strait-edge and stanley/utility knife with a couple replacement blades. Do the smaller cuts with a tin-snips. Then experiment with a couple different grain sand-papers and a lot of patience to get the texture you're going for. Finish it off with some clear.

that's what i plan to do, but instead of a clear coating i was thinking of a clear yellow coating. but that's prolly gonna be experimental unless it turned out nice.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.