Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: 1997 Boxster
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Kansas 914
My neighbor has asked me to Go with him to test drive a 1997 Boxster tomorrow. The car has 30k miles and the owner is asking $13k. Assuming it is pristine should the concern be the origInal motor and known issues with the early models?
Ferg
IMS bearing, IMS bearing, IMS bearing, any wetness between trans and motor, and any marble in can sound or rattle on start up.

30k is nice, but IMS is perhaps even more likely at low miles.

it's not a 13k boxster it's a 15k boxster after the bearing upgrade from LN engineering is done, so make your offer accordingly.

Kansas 914
QUOTE(Ferg @ May 10 2013, 08:06 PM) *

IMS bearing, IMS bearing, IMS bearing, any wetness between trans and motor, and any marble in can sound or rattle on start up.

it's not a 13k boxster it's a 15k boxster after the bearing upgrade from LN engineering is done, so make your offer accordingly.

Thank Ferg,

That is exactly what I as thinking but needed verification. My neighbor wants this car but reality is what it is. I would rather help him find a model 2000+ and not have the worries of the early motors. Donald ( Hotshoe) has told me about the same thing.

Thanks a million. If you are ever near Durango contact me!

mike@prosalesreps.com

Cheers!
jim_hoyland
I bought a '98 Boxster last year. I looked at cars for three years and glad I waited. Found the right car: low mileage, seller was the original owner, and all receipts were available. While IMS is a possible problem, I haven't met one Boxster owner that experienced a failure; finding one with the IMS upgrade is a plus and save you the worry. One last thing I recently discovered; if your state mandates smog testing, request a copy of the last test. If junk gas was used, the cats be be goners. The results should not exceed the averages by much. If the results are close to the maximum allowed, look out.
Daiberl
QUOTE(Ferg @ May 10 2013, 07:06 PM) *

My wife had a 1997 Boxster, 110k Mls, and no problems with IMS, I'm at my second 1999 996 C2, first one with nearly 100k Mls, current car has 75k Mls, no IMS so far, and I drive the s... out of my cars. Reality is it can happen and it's more likely to happen at low miles garage queens from what I have heard, never seen one, but at the end the cars are fantastic cars for what you pay. Putting on an IMS from LN Engineering costs you around $800 and 1 day of work for the peace of mind, how much is it if you have pulled head studs at your 3.0, how much is a motor revision on a 2.7, how much if the 993 has a problem? I can't hear the IMS horror stories anymore, sorry, tired of them sad.gif
Ferg
newer models don't mean a thing, any water cooled engine up till mid 2008 has the IMS issue. My uncle's 2005 boxster S blew with 10k miles...

Sorry about the horror stories but they are real, I see them all the time at my buddy's shop, I'm by there every week. Yes you can own one an never have an issue, but on a cheap 10k purchase with a potential engine failure that will basically total the car, it's worth really doing your homework.
ConeDodger
$13K is about twice what it's worth too... sad.gif
rfuerst911sc
On top of what others have already stated the 1997 has low horsepower and pretty cheap interior. Plus a vinyl rear window vs. glass in later models. These are not deal breakers but I think the asking price is too high for a knowledgeable buyer.
casey944
From a guy that sells New and Used Porsches...

Buy an 03 or later... Spend a bit more money, it will always be worth more and it will be more reliable in the long run. You can get a really good 2003 boxster with 50 or 60k on it for ~15.

Casey
Drums66
.....Yes, newer 1's have all the up-grades(that figure is too much!) idea.gif
bye1.gif popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.