Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Oil temps and oil cooler location
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tornik550
I rebuilt my engine last year. It is now a 2256. It has big heads, dual weber idf's, 96mm pistons, 78mm crankshaft, scat c45 cam. Last year, I had kerry hunter headers and a remote oil cooler. I took the engine out and now I have triad west headers on. My engine is running extremely well. I no longer have a remote oil cooler cause it as mounted where the triad exhaust runs.

Last year, my engine temps wouldn't get above 210 even with spirited driving in hot weather. Today, with very harsh driving in 70 degree ambient temp, my oil temps would get up to 250.

Is there anything else I need to look for or do I just need to figure out a new location for my oil cooler? I don't want to install an oil cooler up front- too much work.

Where have others installed remote oil coolers who run headers that run on the passenger side?
SirAndy
QUOTE(tornik550 @ May 14 2013, 07:17 PM) *
my oil temps would get up to 250

That's not good ... icon8.gif

Whatever you do, you need airflow over the cooler. Everything else is wasted.

There is a good reason why front mounted coolers work so well ...
shades.gif
ThePaintedMan
agree.gif

Though I have yet to install one, it seems like many guys who install the rear-mounted coolers basically end up buying themselves a little extra time before the oil reaches max temperature, but the maximum temperature is still higher than it would be if the cooler was mounted up front. Of course, this is highly dependent on ducting, type of exhaust, etc.

I've also never received a definitive answer on what's necessary with a cooler mounted up front - i.e. does a front mounted cooler require a larger oil pump to push it up and back?
McMark
Is there anything else I need to look for or do I just need to figure out a new location for my oil cooler?

Find a new location.
brant
front cooler is the solution...

I've done a few... and one rear...
the front is the solution for a lot of temp.
tornik550
I should clarify that I DO NOT have a remote oil cooler now. I had one in the past however it will not fit now cause of my new headers. It worked very well in the rear of the car when it was installed.

I am going to find a new location and reinstall my rear coooler. It worked fine before so hopefully it will again. If that doesnt work then I will install a front mounted cooler.
1stworks
Here's mine,works good.

IPB Image
tomeric914
Robbing Peter to pay Paul.

While the oil temps may have decreased, the head temps will increase from the added heat getting sucked in through the cooling fan. Sure, there will be some dilution, but any increase in head temp is worse than an increase in oil temp.

QUOTE(1stworks @ May 15 2013, 09:10 AM) *

Here's mine,works good.

IPB Image

JmuRiz
Here's where I had my cooler/fan setup on my old /4

I'm going to need to get a bigger cooler for the /6 when I install it...but I'll keep it under the trunk. stirthepot.gif
tomeric914
BTW, there are a lot of threads on oil coolers and locations. This is one of the most recent: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=108328

I've mounted under the deck and up front. Under the deck with a fan works good but not as good as a cooler mounted up front.

I'm surprised that your oil temps are as high as they are. Poor timing and a lean condition will add heat and should be looked at first. Most switch to an 009 style distributor thinking that it'll improve performance, but it doesn't. It's amazing how much cooler an engine will run at highway speeds with a vacuum advance distributor. Check these first before making the leap to an external cooler.
tomeric914
QUOTE(JmuRiz @ May 15 2013, 09:54 AM) *

I'm going to need to get a bigger cooler for the /6 when I install it...but I'll keep it under the trunk. stirthepot.gif

LOL, you mean like this? BTDT, it didn't work with the 6.

Here's how I built it: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?s=&...t&p=1524477

Then read about halfway down here under "Project 2": http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?s=&...t&p=1653210

IPB Image
1stworks
QUOTE(tomeric914 @ May 15 2013, 07:43 AM) *

Robbing Peter to pay Paul.

While the oil temps may have decreased, the head temps will increase from the added heat getting sucked in through the cooling fan. Sure, there will be some dilution, but any increase in head temp is worse than an increase in oil temp.

QUOTE(1stworks @ May 15 2013, 09:10 AM) *

Here's mine,works good.

IPB Image

Interesting i would have though the tins covering the heads would keep the heat on bottom engine,with gt rear lid and fan keeps air on top moving,but i dont have head temp gauge and iam a newbie....
brant
QUOTE(1stworks @ May 15 2013, 08:13 AM) *

Interesting i would have though the tins covering the heads would keep the heat on bottom engine,with gt rear lid and fan keeps air on top moving,but i dont have head temp gauge and iam a newbie....

the fan in the engine bay sucks air in from the engine compartment to run under those tins and cool.

so your oil cooler exiting air is the air that the fan is grabbing for the heads

I've seen similar cooler installs to yours done over and over.
it may be ok... its not ideal
adding a cht will tell you if yours is crossing the line.
1stworks
QUOTE(brant @ May 15 2013, 08:33 AM) *

QUOTE(1stworks @ May 15 2013, 08:13 AM) *

the fan in the engine bay sucks air in from the engine compartment to run under those tins and cool.

so your oil cooler exiting air is the air that the fan is grabbing for the heads

I've seen similar cooler installs to yours done over and over.
it may be ok... its not ideal
adding a cht will tell you if yours is crossing the line.

thanks for explaining it.
Might b cool to move it out side run vertical next to rear window?

I did sign up for Colorado 914club but didn't get email back.
Cap'n Krusty
The engineers at Porsche put oil coolers on street and most, if not all, competition cars with air cooled engines somewhere in the nose of the car, where the air flow is highest. Later street cars with large capacity engines had thermostatically controlled fans. Placing the oil cooler at the opposite end of the car means lots of plumbing, which is expensive requires significant forming to fit right. I know of no instance where they chose to put the oil cooler in an area of high ambient temperatures and low air flow, despite the potential weight and cost savings. That tell you anything?

How many people are in YOUR engineering department?

The Cap'n
tornik550
Can too advanced timing cause high oil temps?

My cylinder head temps are 300+/-. The engine is running great. I have a mallory distributor. My timing is set at 14 degrees advance at idle and 34 max which I believe is a bit more advanced than recommended (per an old post).
VaccaRabite
Mine went under the trunk. Temps went from 250 to 205 on a humid and hot day running long and hard.

Yeah, nose is best but requires a lot of work and cutting. Under the trunk works fine and no cutting required. My setup can be seen in one of the other threads.

Zach
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(tornik550 @ May 15 2013, 10:40 AM) *

My cylinder head temps are 300+/-. The engine is running great. I have a mallory distributor. My timing is set at 14 degrees advance at idle and 34 max which I believe is a bit more advanced than recommended (per an old post).

Anything that causes heat can raise oil temps. It just takes more time to see it in the oil rather then the heads.

Zach
tornik550
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ May 15 2013, 12:49 PM) *

QUOTE(tornik550 @ May 15 2013, 10:40 AM) *

Anything that causes heat can raise oil temps. It just takes more time to see it in the oil rather then the heads.

Zach

That is what is baffling me- my head temps are perfect however the oil tmep is so high. My head temps have never gotten about 320. I was doing an experiment and I have three different types of head temp senders hooked up to make sure I am getting accurate readings (VDO, Westach, Dakota Digtial).
VaccaRabite
Things that can raise oil temp also include:
Blocked oil cooler vanes (dirt and crap)
Too much oil pressure causing bypass of oil cooler (was my issue as I had HD pump)
Too little oil (heat soaks faster)
High RPM (friction is heat)
Impure oil (gas/water - increases friction)
Head vents have been argued to increase oil temps as they decease the amount of oil in the crank case.

stugray
I am considering putting the oil cooler in the rear trunk.
Pull air from the engine compartment through the rear firewall and vent out through the bottom of the trunk with a fan.

It would look almost the same as this:

IPB Image

But would be on the other side of the sheet metal and get cool air from the engine bay.
This might have to get me by until I can round up all of the parts to put dual coolers in the headlight buckets like Brant $$$
My fuel cell makes it almost impossible to put it in the standard GT location in front.

Thoughts?

Stu
brant
Stu,

check out dennis and terry's silver cars of at the rmvr event
they are using the cowl area with a scoop added

tomeric914
I swear I've seen this setup on a 914.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911...of-scoop-2.html

IPB Image
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.