Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Clutch Tube - Firewall Reinforcement
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
kkelly
I have a 1970 914-4 that has a cracked firewall due to a loose clutch tube. Should I welded in a reinforcement plate (16 ga. steel) around the clutch tube hole?

If I switch engines to a six - will the reinforcement interfer with a firewall motor mount?
Brad Roberts
I normally build a small square scab plate depending on how bad the "tear" is on the firewall. The problem is: they brazed that tube in... so you have to grind away ALL the brazing before welding. I make my scab plate with a hole in it so it slips over the tube end. I then weld around the scab plate and then arond the tube. I stick a old Phillips head No.2 screwdriver into the clutch tube when I weld around it so my weld doesnt penetrate the tube. Obviously using something like BRASS would work.. but it doesnt take much heat to weld that tube up to the plate/firewall.

I weld up the cracks first... then add the scab plate...

B
Brad Roberts
Oh.. It will not interfere with the RJ 6 mount.

and ..OH again..

Welcome clap56.gif You've come to the right place.

B
kkelly
The cracks go between the fuel line and the electrical line grommets. I don't think there is any way to make a heat shield for the fuel lines, so I'm going to pull them out.

I will MIG weld the cracks, but I'm thinking of re-brazing the clutch tube. (I'd rather have the braze break and leave the tubing intact.)

Has anyone come across a 914 that didn't have the clutch tube bracket at the front of the center tunnel?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.