Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Late Vs. early steering shafts
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Phoenix-MN
Ever since I put my steering wheel and shaft in it's had an annoying "over center" notchy feel to it. Well I deceided to fix it and tore it apart today. I had read some threads to swap the shaft end for end to correct the problem but that doesn't index the u-joints any differently. I dug out a shaft from my spare parts to compare and the index slots are about 90 deg. different between the two.

Click to view attachment

Anyone else run into this before? Is there also a difference in the u-joints?

Paul
SirAndy
QUOTE(Phoenix-MN @ May 17 2013, 09:31 AM) *
Anyone else run into this before? Is there also a difference in the u-joints?

The geometry is different between early and late cars.

When i installed the '74 steering column in my '70 car i had to re-notch the shaft because everything is aligned differently.
It was a *lot* more work than i had anticipated.

The mounts for the steering column are different early to late and the u-joint on the back of the column is not in the same exact place.

smash.gif
Phoenix-MN
Thanks, that makes sense. Mine is a '71 and I had spare parts from a '74, when I put it together I must have used the shaft from the '74 mad.gif Hopefully now when I get it back together all will be well biggrin.gif

(the early one is the one with the tape on it)
MrHyde
Hmmm anybody know when the changeover was ??? I have 73' gear in a 72' body..
Jeff Hail
1970 to early 71 a different column was used on the 4/4 only for about 10 months. It was a single stalk column manufactured by SWF. Larger shaft at the steering wheel hub. The switch was incorporated in the column housing. It was sold as column assembly even though few individual pieces were shown in the PET separatley, cylinder with keys and turn signal switch assembly. The plug was the 911 style 12 pin (phone plug) not the 14 pin or later 914 wafer style columns with buzzer. It did not have clam shells as the later ones did.

The original PN# was 91461330610 for the earlier column assembly.
It was later changed in the PET to 30510 and now the part number is no longer listed. It was serviced under the switch group where the later columns were serviced with individual parts under the steering parts group.

Late late 71, 1972-73 the column tube housing changed again.
71 the upper shaft is unique
Late late 71, 72-74 the shafts should be the same.
1974 the column tube changed but I believe the shaft is the same through 76.
914Sixer
I read this yesterday and I went out an looked at the shafts I had. They are all the same length but all three are different. If you line them up with one groove at the top all the bottom ones are at a different angle.

Jeff Hail
I have already differentiated the column differences. Let me see if I can break down the upper shaft and intermediate shaft differences.

Upper shafts:
Upper shaft early 70 had larger diameter at steering wheel hub/ spline differences. U-joint was unique to the shaft and serviced as part of the shaft assembly.

Late upper shaft had separate U-joints that are still serviced under 930 Part numbers. Oddly it shows 1 joint required for the 9144 and 2 joints for the 9146.
Will try to keep the 6 cyl parts out of this as its confusing enough.

Intermediate shafts:
Early thru 71
72 on
72 on required 2 of the same U joints.

Column:
72 9146 used the 4 cyl column with the electric wiper switch.

I just figured out why. Early cars had an issue with the upper U joint, they changed the column and upper shaft which slightly altered the angle of attack on the intermediate shaft. This explains the keyway timing differences on the intermediate shafts.

72 on firewall with windscreen frame sheetmetal changed also.
Phoenix-MN
Update.... I have put everything back together with the early shaft and it rotates smoothly now with no binding piratenanner.gif
Jeff Hail
QUOTE(Phoenix-MN @ May 18 2013, 10:09 AM) *

Update.... I have put everything back together with the early shaft and it rotates smoothly now with no binding piratenanner.gif

Stellar!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.