Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: MSCD boxes for 2056 type Carbed engines
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
wndsnd
Starting to set up the bay and I was wondering where the best spot is
to be mounting the MS-AL. Can anyone send me pictures of box and coil placement?

Thanks
John
rhodyguy
something like this? i mounted the box a bit too high. it makes bolts a tight squeeze and the lid r&r a pain. i open ended the bolt holes on the arms and i only have to loosen the bolts a bit and the arms slide out.

k
yeahmag
Mines on the firewall, but in the rear trunk.
ThePaintedMan
QUOTE(yeahmag @ May 21 2013, 04:58 PM) *

Mines on the firewall, but in the rear trunk.

Aaron, I've been thinking of mounting mine there. But how did you do it? I'm using the vibration mounts, so I wouldn't be able to get to the other side of the rubber "stud" to put the nut on it. Did you just use self-tapping screws?
yeahmag
Rivnuts! I'm a huge fan of them!
Jeffs9146
Starting to set up the bay and I was wonderingwhere the best spot is
To be mounting th e MS-AL. Can anyone send me pictures of box and coil placement.

I mounted mine using the 914-6 CD box mount that AA sells!

It is number 2 shown here

Auto Atlanta CD mount plate
Mine is behind where the battery is. My battery in rear trunk.

Can find a pic if needed. Here is a shot but this was more about fuse block install.
Have better pic of whole bay just need to find it.
Click to view attachment
wndsnd
How about pictures of carbed engines, so I can see what space I am working with.

I like the ideas so far but I was thinking of going on the firewall on the left side.

I saw a car today and it looks like the carbs sit back a bit.....
yeahmag
OK. Ignore all the beer... Here is a picture of the Mallory 6-AL.

Click to view attachment
wndsnd
Aaron, thats what I am going to run, the Mallory 6AL. It is kind of big so thus my concerns.

Great shot!
ThePaintedMan
Sorry for jumping on your thread wndsnd, but you're right - that's a great installation spot Aaron.

I know what Rivnuts are but I'm a little unfamiliar with how they install. Do I need to buy the special puller? If so I doubt I'm going to go that route for just 4 rubber studs biggrin.gif Either way, very cool!

The beer is even better! beer3.gif
yeahmag
Technically you need an installer, but I've DIY'ed it with an allen bolt, nut, and assortment of washers before. All you need to do is crush the aluminum portion by tightening it. There is also a fairly cheap rivnut tool out there that lasts a while before self destructing. If you don't mind 1/4-20 the Harbor Freight installer is OK.
Jerry75914
Click to view attachment

I have mine mounted behind the batter. my coil is on a custom bracket from McMark

wndsnd
Nice looking bay. Did you grind off the feet of the Optima to get it to fit in the tray?

No hijack here George. We are all just swapping ideas.

Jeffs9146
QUOTE(wndsnd @ May 21 2013, 09:23 PM) *

Nice looking bay. Did you grind off the feet of the Optima to get it to fit in the tray?

No hijack here George. We are all just swapping ideas.

I added rubber feet to mine that is why it is sticking out farther than his!
rhodyguy
if you look at my optima and jerry's, note the non-stock clamp. it's the one that used to be avail thru optima before johnson controls took over. no grinding required with them at all.

k
JamesM
QUOTE(yeahmag @ May 21 2013, 01:51 PM) *

OK. Ignore all the beer... Here is a picture of the Mallory 6-AL.

Click to view attachment

That is exactly where I stuck my Mallory 6-AL. Great minds must think alike.

I did it to keep the engine bay looking closer to stock and because its already pretty cramped with all the FI stuff. If you are running carbs though you have a bit more space to work with, I think that extra bracket where the ECU normally mounts would be a good way to go as well.
Jerry75914
thanks! i didn't grind anything off of the battery, but I did trim off the lip on the battery tray on the side closest to the rear, the Optima was just a tad too big.
1stworks
IPB Image

Here's mine.
wndsnd
Kevin

Your Optima fits in the tray. Mine is like Jerry's and is a bit too long. They must have changed the base.

I had the thought of mounting the controls and coil on DIN Rail. That way I could slide things out of the way if necessary. Anyone use mounting rails?

wndsnd
QUOTE(1stworks @ May 22 2013, 02:35 PM) *

IPB Image

Here's mine.

Nice and clean looking!
1stworks

Here's mine.
[/quote]

Nice and clean looking!
[/quote]

beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.